What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rooster coach sacked

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Ten different halves combos hey? Sounds like Nirvana to me.
I'm not a big fan of ricky but he is a career coach & straight shooting risk taker.
He was in a rebuilding year this year. They will be rewarded well next year.

Since 73

First Grade
The guy is just too intense.
He was an angry ant when he played as well.
He had a near death experience a few years ago and almost carked it, and then appeared on the Footy Show and poured his heart out about what a miserable sod he'd been and how he was going to change.

But he just makes blokes too tense. Guys like Cross, Finch, Fitzgibbon and co have not enjoyed their footy this year. not because they are losing but because Stuart heaps way too much pressure and extremely high expectations on them.
Similiar to Parra and Brian Smith - another intense bloke. He leaves and the place lightens up. Guys start enjoying themselves again and their talent surfaces.

Actually it's a bit like our joint. Noddy is an angry little gnome and the team was a different outfit when he was out. blokes like vagana and Dykes especially played like they haven't for 3 years. And whenever I see Roper being interviewed he has a frown that looks like it's been chiselled into his brow. More than 10 minutes around the bloke and you'd be reaching for the razor blades.

A big NO from me in regard to Ricky.
He would crucify young playmakers like Kearney. Firman, Wing, Finch and Soward have all been tossed to the halfback scrapheap in the past 3 years.

But three definites:
1. His name will be spoken of in our boards conversations.
2. Kimmorely would never wear the Shark Shirt again if he came.
3. This will signal the end of Roper - our board will take the lead of the Rorters who have stated they won't accept consistent defeat and our board will align themselves with that thinking to not appear inferior.

zeppelin

Juniors
I was thinking Ricky might be a good coach for our club, but then i remembered what happened last time we appointed the current Australian coach as our coach.

I would be very nervous if we appointed him.

veryhappyshark

Juniors
its a no from me too

ricky's days as a good coach are over, im thinking john land or daniel andersson from st helen's

heard anderson is prob going to roosters unless we can bag him first

zeppelin

Juniors
thomo_shark said:
one of the tv channels said he resigned!;-)

I heard that too. Strange as this was in stark contrast to the media release i heard from Both the club and Ricky. He is being paid out for the last year of his contract, if he resigned wouldnt the club not have to pay him a cent??

TheLurker

Juniors
Bit from the bottom of an article at ninemsn.com.au (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=61803):

Other likely contenders for the job include Penrith mentor John Lang and Sharks lower grade coach Adrian Lam.

"I'm sick of being linked with this or that," Lang said.
"You can throw me in the mix or in the bin - you can do what you like with me."

Already, there is speculation Stuart could take over at Cronulla next season, although Sharks CEO Greg Pierce indicated Stuart Raper was likely to retain the job.

"At this stage we haven't even given that a second thought, and it's not my decision anyway," he said.

The Sharks have slated that a review of all staff and business practices will commence this week.

PJ

First Grade
Takes a pay cheque, placates potential rival or pressure groups, waits for something good to happen so he can take credit, fetchs the paper and lunch for Dad.

Dread

Juniors
"At this stage we haven't even given that a second thought, and it's not my decision anyway," he said.

The Sharks have slated that a review of all staff and business practices will commence this week.

WTF? I'll say it again. WTF???!?!

The coaches are in charge of player retention and signing... and... f**k, who signs and retains coaches? I think all Greg Pierce actually does is respond to emails and ring up angry fans.

carinashark

First Grade
Run the club , not the football club . I would be happy to see Bazza out of it and let Greg decide . He is smart enough not to pick Ricky. Stuart is only good with the best of players ( its easy right) and when the going gets tough he cant do it , hence 2nd last.

cheese

Bench

haha ..... the guy is an inept embarrassment

lovethesharks

Juniors
This comment will cop some but I would sign Brian Smith for2 yrs to implement the strong junior programs that The Eels and Saints had. Or take Jason Taylor.

If we get Ricky there will be a player exodus, adn it will be the soft ones that go, if not straight away, but by end of 2007.

Noddy will be gone before 2007
Simmons end of 2007, Stuart wants someone with heart
Albert I can see him be taken off during a game, due to lack of effort
Dykes dosent suit Rickys style of 5/8.

But some players will go ahead the likes of Brown, Pommeroy, Covell, backs that work hard.

The forward pack, would have mettle, there would be adesignated hitman like morley, prob Villa, with role of smashing opponents, Some back slapping when we reel off a big hit.

Ricky as australian coach maybe able to lure the odd player, eg O'meley end of 07

ali

Bench
As I said in the other thread definately yes for Ricky Stuart IMO.

As for the others, I don't want John Lang back. For mine we don't have the cattle for Lang to do well. You think raper doesn't bring the kids through, Lang has a worse track record. When he took over our club he was blessed with a good young squad, well recruited by Beetson and the partnership with Easts Brisbane. Lang provided good stability and a decent football brain. But towards the end there, not many players broke into first grade, and the juniors were neglected. At Penrith he came on board again as a great bunch of kids were just hitting first grade. Now he's struggling as he is having to pick 5 or 6 rejects each week. Who has burst through the grades other than the winger Michael Gordon and that Cross who was pretty much a reject anyway. It's virtually the core of his grand final side and a few rejects they've picked up. Furthermore, where did raper learnt his trade? Under John Lang, so you think they would have a few similarities in their coaching styles.

Daniel Anderson or maybe Tony Smith from Leeds would be my other choices. John Gibbs on 2UE said he'd been hearing rumours about Brian Noble and the Sharks. But then want on to rubbish them himself, as Noble has only just joined Wigan, so would be mad to leave.

On other issues, I'd have Waite for the coaching coordinators job, but in all honesty I just think this position is purely being created for somewhere to push Raper. I definately wouldn't take Waite for the first grade coaching job, his selections as British Lions coach were extremely baffling.

Jimbo

Immortal
The appointment of the coach is a decision for the board, or at least it should be

The CEO is only one member of the board

Latest posts