What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters coach makes play for unwanted Bulldog

Penance

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22688679-5006066,00.html
Roosters coach makes play for unwanted Bulldog

By Josh Massoud and James Phelps
November 02, 2007 12:00am

ROOSTERS coach Brad Fittler last night rolled out the welcome mat in response to Willie Mason's desperate bid to escape Belmore for a fresh start at Bondi.

After high-level talks with Roosters supremo Nick Politis and Brian Canavan, Fittler yesterday phoned Mason to discuss his desire to join the Tricolours immediately.
Fittler later told The Daily Telegraph the club was prepared to reciprocate Mason's interest.

"He plays for Australia, he is an outstanding player," Fittler said.
"We are interested, but I'm sure a lot of other clubs would be as well."
Breaking his silence last night, Mason described the Roosters as "a very appealing option."

"It's really flattering that Freddy's saying he wants me," he told The Daily Telegraph.
"I've played footy with and against him and he's a champion.
"He's going to be a great coach and I said earlier in the year I'd love to play under him."
Mason has already told close friends he will end his feud with Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad next week by signing with the Roosters.

Furious when threatened with a $50,000 fine for not attending a club luncheon and being prevented from boxing, Mason told Bulldogs chairman George Peponis he could never play for the club again at the pair's Woolloomooloo crisis meeting on Wednesday.
Peponis offered Mason a one-year release to play in England on the condition the star forward would return in 2009 - at which time Noad's current deal would have expired.
But the 27-year-old refused, sticking to his "him or me" ultimatum.

It is understood Mason does not want to leave the NRL because he will lose about $200,000 in endorsements if he quits Australia to play in the English Super League.
The Sharks are also interested in talking with Mason, but the player is determined to link with former Bulldogs teammates Braith Anasta, Mark O'Meley and Nate Myles at the Eastern Beaches outfit, which is also conveniently located close to his home in Clovelly.

"The Roosters are a very appealing option. I've got a lot of mates there and I live in the area," Mason said. "I'll fit into the culture because I already drink latte."
Fittler agreed, adding: "Willie lives in the Eastern Suburbs and I know for a fact he is a fan of the area. Anyone who enjoys the area they play in is going to be a better fit.
"Canterbury aren't happy and people aren't getting on. People seem to be looking for a change in culture and game plans."
Asked about the Roosters' growing interest in snaring players from their bitter 2004 grand final rivals, Fittler replied: "We know for a long time they've set the benchmark for toughness and playing hard."

Currently in the US, Politis is understood to be returning to Sydney on Sunday for urgent negotiations.
Roosters recruitment boss Peter O'Sullivan last night confirmed he would talk with Mason's manager Greg Keenan today.
But the club's tight salary cap position for 2008 shaped as a hurdle to attracting the NRL's most recognisable star.
The Roosters would have to offer Mason, currently on a $450,000-a-season deal at Belmore, a minimal salary next season that would be compensated by stellar figures in 2008 and 2009.

"It will come down to finances," Fittler said.
"I'm not quite sure what our exact position is with the salary cap but people are talking.
"I'd assume that because Willie would be quitting the Bulldogs, there would be no payout.
"He needs something to pay his debts off, like every other person in the world."
But Mason is even prepared to play for next to nothing in 2008 on the proviso his contract is topped up the following two seasons in order to leave the Bulldogs.
"It's not about money," he said. "I just want to be happy. I'll get it sorted in the next couple of weeks."

mattyg

Bench
f**k off Roosters. If they have the money to afford Willie Mason on their books i'll jump. Anasta/Myles/O'Meley alone are on well over $1 million between them.

watatank

Coach
they won't have an awful lot for him next year but they can release a whole heap of players for the next few years to find the money

Danish

Referee
You would have to think that IF the roosters do sign him, it would be on a pittance this season, and then with a substantial upgrade next year once Fitzy, Nutley and one of our other forwards (possibly toops) is offloaded.

Then, if mini pulls up lame and goes into retirement, we can throw his pay packet at Falau :lol:

mxlegend99

Referee
I just can't believe of all the clubs, the Roosters are able to make the best offer after the crazy wages they have paid for the likes of Anasta, Myles and O'Meley.

Panthers need to learn some tricks from the Roosters management. At the very least, we might be able to keep the players we develop.

This is excatly what Mason has been hoping for all along.Its no secret that Mason has wanted for sometime to play for the Roosters.

Godz Illa

Coach
Penance said:
The Roosters would have to offer Mason, currently on a $450,000-a-season deal at Belmore, a minimal salary next season that would be compensated by stellar figures in 2008 and 2009.
This doesn't make sense. 2008 is next season. I call shenanigans.

shiznit

Coach
if he went to the roosters wouldnt it make the souths derby even more fiery....

The Fa'alogo punch on Anasta already added fuel to the fire but adding in Willie Mason V David Kidwell will be like crashing a fuel tanker into the fire...

Round 1 will be full of fireworks...

Tom Shines

First Grade
What a total tool. Did he bag Myles and O'Meley non-stop for moving to the Roosters?

Bulldogs 4 lyf, only when it suits Mason.

Latest posts