What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters Game Discussion

Breathingfire

Juniors
Nightingale pissed me right off tonight. He played shit house. I have said all along that the guy is not a fullback. I was embarrassed to see him chase Mitchell Pearce and not gain any ground.

Fien played exactly how I expected him to...one or two good kicks and the rest straight down the throat of the fullback. He offered absolutely nothing in attack.

We do not have the cattle to beat good sides. It has nothing to do with Price or the game plan but everything to do with the players executing it. Chase Stanley is our strike centre and he got run down by two front rowers. That tells me that we are short some quality outside backs.

Nightingale and Morris are both wingers and nothing more!

We do not have centre's (minus Cooper who is too old) at the club, nor do we have a fullback. We have a half back who is over the hill. Our 5/8 sat the match out. Hunt and Merrin can hold their heads high and I thought Dean Young toiled hard. f**k is that guy tough!

We need some serious recruiting or we will get more of the same :(

Breathing fire I aggree on most counts except the one about price it is his fault he picks the side and obviously isn't strategic enough or motivational enough to make them perform and win. Theyve been good servants but hornby fien prior need to be moved on and if they all go around next year then the club adminstrators have rocks in their heads and the players are just
Plain selfish don't forget cooper miller ah mau gower vea if they all go around next year it will be an unmitigated disaster!

Mr Red

First Grade
Because Cecchin is perhaps the worst ref in the comp.

Couldn't believe it myself. From the moment the break was made, I was expecting the ref to call it back. As you say, it decided the match.

No excuses btw, for starters the player should have been tackled.

Yep agree should have been tackled ... To allow the player to escape down the sideline coming out of the in goal is amateur stuff...Morris being the quickest chaser of the kick was always going to make the first tackle attempt, so someone else should have covered the sideline

Mr Red

First Grade
Positives from the match:
Not many but...
- Trent merrin.. Another big game.. Why Hornby and nightingale still don't trail this guy every time he runs is beyond me... Our only forward who seems to know how to pop a ball after bending the line back.
- chase Stanley having a good injury free run finally, although I would have liked him to pin his ears back and run when he made a break rather then his first instinct of looking for support thus slowing down and giving the defense a chance to ankle tap him

Negatives:
- the usual stuff we have seen all season... Too much lateral play, not enough direct play which was plain stupidity given how slippery the surface was..
- Hornby average
- a general lack of intensity and motivation very concerning given we had a finals chance still on the line..

I saw the footage of the team in the shed at halftime the body language was awful.. Not a good sign

64 Dragon

Coach
I am a died in the wool Dragon supporter. I bleed red and white. I have a Dragons 2010 tattoo. Now I get absolutely depressed coming on here and talking about our team and realising it will probably be the same next year.

Glad the 20s and the Cutters are going well.

Bring on the English Premier League!!!!!!

gUt

Coach
Apparently the decision was correct as it was deemed accidental grounding & that is currently how the rule stands. I mentioned it in the game day spoiler, but the rule needs to be changed to eliminate any grey areas. If the ball is grounded by the defending team, it should be a goal line drop out regardless of the circumstances. To me it's like if a player slips & goes into touch it doesn't matter - it keeps rules consistent & easier for officials to interpret. Imagine if a player from the defending team slips & falls over when players from the opposition are approaching or have dived to tackle him & miss. How close do they have to be before it's not accidental ? Then it becomes a judgement call that will lead to arguments.

That's fine if that's the rule but I was thinking if they went upstairs to check whether that was a try (ie by an attacking player), it would have been given. That should be enough imo.

Mr Red

First Grade
I am a died in the wool Dragon supporter. I bleed red and white. I have a Dragons 2010 tattoo. Now I get absolutely depressed coming on here and talking about our team and realising it will probably be the same next year.

Every team has a bad season now and then, I can live with that as the successes usually even it out... What I can't tolerate though is the idiotic persistence by Price stating that things aren't too bad, and the reluctance of the club as a whole to fix things for next season... Crap recruitment, no strategic vision to fix the halves problem, and the seemingly constant willingness to play players out of position.
If Price is too stupid or too stubborn to acknowledge the club is in a downward spiral then I hope someone else within the club would step in and deal with the situation .... Or are they all as blinded and living in fantasy land as the coach..

Hoekstra

Juniors
Positives from the match:

Negatives:
- the usual stuff we have seen all season... Too much lateral play, not enough direct play which was plain stupidity given how slippery the surface was..
- Hornby average
- a general lack of intensity and motivation very concerning given we had a finals chance still on the line..

I saw the footage of the team in the shed at halftime the body language was awful.. Not a good sign

It is is beyond me why we persist with the flat out lateral/sliding attack. Its so predictable, i.e. you know Hornby is just going to throw a cut out pass behind a standard decoy runner.

Poor Nightingale has been thrust into the role of ball playing full back and is understandably struggling. When Morris was back there at least he was allowed to play to his hard running strengths, Nighty has not been as fortunate.

Seeing Creagh catch that Fien bomb and put it over the line for 4 points got me thinking too. Creagh can excel as a hole runner, can offload in traffic and challenge in the air, but how much have seen of that in recent times???

That try to Leilua also had me baffled as far as our defence is concerned.

getsmarty

Immortal
Guys, lets not start blaming the refs....we were comprehensively outplayed last night. Whatever our tactics were, they didn't work. We are not a final 8 team. Sad part is, we are on a downward slope. Not much to look forward to next year.

jenninga

First Grade
Apparently the decision was correct as it was deemed accidental grounding & that is currently how the rule stands. I mentioned it in the game day spoiler, but the rule needs to be changed to eliminate any grey areas. If the ball is grounded by the defending team, it should be a goal line drop out regardless of the circumstances. To me it's like if a player slips & goes into touch it doesn't matter - it keeps rules consistent & easier for officials to interpret. Imagine if a player from the defending team slips & falls over when players from the opposition are approaching or have dived to tackle him & miss. How close do they have to be before it's not accidental ? Then it becomes a judgement call that will lead to arguments.
Why didn't they at least go back ,have a look and then award benefit of the doubt (as accidental grounding),i know same result ,but it seemed the refs on the field missed the incident itself which seemed to make it more controversial.

evil_p091280

Juniors
There is no such thing as accidental grounding.

If you go to score, slip, ground it, get up and run around to put behind the posts, they call your first one the try.

Same as if you are defending a grubber, go to pick it up, fumble it, but get downward pressure, then an attacker scores, it's no try.

The nrl make up rules to suit any stuff ups.

First thing the Cont Call Team did this arvo was say that it was no try.

jenninga

First Grade

I'm a Tottenham supporter so it will probably be more of the same for me.

nrlnrl

First Grade
There is no such thing as accidental grounding.

If you go to score, slip, ground it, get up and run around to put behind the posts, they call your first one the try.

Same as if you are defending a grubber, go to pick it up, fumble it, but get downward pressure, then an attacker scores, it's no try.

The nrl make up rules to suit any stuff ups.

First thing the Cont Call Team did this arvo was say that it was no try.

apparently the rule was changed before the start of the 2011 season

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ces-men-go-down-in-flames-20120803-23lfc.html

FlameThrower

Bench
"I saw the footage of the team in the shed at halftime the body language was awful.. Not a good sign[/QUOTE]

Worse than that, most players not even looking at Price. Compare that to Smith and the Roosters and i caught a few minutes of Knights v Bulldogs, half-time everyplayers eye's on Des and Bennets eyes - that is paying frkn attention, this bynch of imposters are giving me the shites.......

Some school boy errors: Green fumbles and bombs 2 tries, including one that could have turned the game. 2 shephards, 2 or fwd passes that 1 of which would have been another certain try. These guys are just not in it and bottom line no frkn respect for the jersey.

some of the frkn brillant fringe player signings have been absolute bombs for us........who is to blame for that!!??

possm

Coach
"I saw the footage of the team in the shed at halftime the body language was awful.. Not a good sign

Worse than that, most players not even looking at Price. Compare that to Smith and the Roosters and i caught a few minutes of Knights v Bulldogs, half-time everyplayers eye's on Des and Bennets eyes - that is paying frkn attention, this bynch of imposters are giving me the shites.......

Some school boy errors: Green fumbles and bombs 2 tries, including one that could have turned the game. 2 shephards, 2 or fwd passes that 1 of which would have been another certain try. These guys are just not in it and bottom line no frkn respect for the jersey.

some of the frkn brillant fringe player signings have been absolute bombs for us........who is to blame for that!!??[/QUOTE]

The players really have no respect for the coach or his game plans. They don't believe in him or what he is trying to do on the field. They don't look him in the eye for fear of giving him an indication of their support.

Price is out of his debth. His experiment has failed and he has gambled the success of our Club in 2012 and lost. He is a disgrace and is responible for the disappointment felt by the Dragons fans.

Dump the coach and watch the difference is player attitude.

Last edited:

Dea

Juniors
Player attitude stinks. This was last chance to keep in the season and they didn't even turn up to play. The Roosters weren't good in victory, we were crap in defeat. Our decent defence leaked a try in the first half by them running through traffic. That's an attitude problem.

I'm beginning to doubt that our attack could score in a training run without any opposition! 1st half our backline runs the ball, passes into a players sholder, they pick it up and in the broken play score a try. 2nd half we get simple back line moves that these guys should be able to do in their sleep and we throw the ball forward.

Player Roster needs re-evaulation. We've got great wingers but not much inside them. I've liked Cooper as a centre but he's not playing. We need more than a casual player. Stanely for me is not impressive. I've seen almost nothing from him in attack and just hope it is a time experience thing but when he has the ball I don't get the sense that something might happen. Wasting our breath talking about our halves who may be trying, but don't seem to be able to play at this level.

This team has shown we can't score points. The coaching strategy hasn't helped this. The playing roster doesn't include a game breaker. a long couple of seasons coming...

Latest posts