What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters original junior areas?

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Hey guys Raiders fan here with a bit of interest in your history. I've noticed a couple of times, during Roosters/Souths arguments, people bringing up Souths stealing some of your junior areas back in the 50's.
Can anyone give me a run down on what happened?

Monk

Referee
i remember reading a thread with this stuff in it...
ill see if i can find it

sass

Juniors
hey chujo - I've pasted a summary from an old smh article for you that explains a little of why 'roosters territory' now only includes four junior teams. (ignore the angry tone if you want, but tbh I get pretty fired up on this topic too so I can't judge the guy who wrote it)

"Local Sydney league boundaries were based on local government boundaries when clubs were formed back in the early 20th century. Souths' boundaries were based on the municipalities of Redfern, Botany, Alexandria, Mascot and Waterloo, while the Roosters' boundaries were those of the eastern municipalities of Paddington, Woollahra, Vaucluse, Randwick and Waverley.

"Many of these councils have since amalgamated, as demographic changes affected the inner and eastern suburbs of Sydney. Randwick Council has a western boundary of Anzac Parade and incorporates all those eastern suburbs east of Anzac Parade, and these suburbs like Randwick, Coogee and Maroubra were all part of the Roosters' territory from 1908 to 1929. Does anyone living in those suburbs then or now not claim to live in the eastern suburbs?

"But in 1929 a number of clubs led by Souths and Balmain helped change the NSWRL constitution so that instead of needing 75 per cent [of the vote] to remove a team from the competition, only 50 per cent was needed. Once the constitution was changed, Balmain, with Souths' help, moved to kick foundation club Glebe from the competition. Roosters fans can't miss the irony in this, given the events 70 years later.

"Soon after, these same clubs changed the constitution back, to protect themselves from future expulsion, so 75 per cent of the vote was again required to remove a club from the then NSWRL. As part of the deal to remove Glebe, Balmain took over Glebe's territory and Souths annexed that part of the Roosters territory east of Anzac Parade and south of Alison Road. The Roosters were as a result left without much of their natural territory, and a large future source of young talent. This was very relevant because for many years you needed to reside within your team's boundaries to play for that club.

"Souths won seven of their 20 premierships with a significant part of the Roosters' territory, while the residential rule was in place. The two players in recent years that Souths have so resented playing for the Roosters, Craig Wing and Braith Anasta, due to their alleged status as Souths juniors, did in fact play their junior football for clubs in the eastern suburbs, which was original Roosters territory, and should still be.

"Again in 1983 after Newtown were excluded from the competition, Souths were again all over the carcass of another foundation club, moving swiftly to grab Newtown's territory and denying the Roosters' attempts to reclaim its former territory as part of a much needed realignment of boundaries.

hope that helps!

Last edited:

Sood

Juniors
We will never get that territory back...
Whatever.. they need it more then we do!

sass

Juniors
yeah I'm with you. it was all so long ago I think that it just is what it is now. the boundaries will never change. the future for a lot of nrl teams will be in junior partnerships, not in local juniors necessarily.

I do get firey though when people talk about the roosters as buying success and not breeding any 'local juniors'. how strong do you expect the local juniors to be when there are four 'proper' junior clubs, and two are in union heartland?

esp. as the lack of local juniors will only become more obvious as sydney opens up and other sydney clubs absorb more territory.

to be honest I think it's a bit of an achievement that there's even one paddington boy in the first grade team.