What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters Out of Junior Comps

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24422868-5006066,00.html

Roosters out of junior comps
By Steve Mascord | September 30, 2008 12:00am

FOUNDATION club Sydney Roosters have concluded their centenary season by pulling out of the Harold Matthews and SG Ball junior competitions, citing cost-cutting.
For the first time, the red white and blue will not be seen in the NSW under 16s and Under 18s competitions in 2009 following an historic decision made by the Roosters board last week.

Chief executive Brian Canavan said the Roosters would continue to offer scholarships to players in those age groups but admitted players may have to be recruited from other clubs and areas at an older age.

"It comes down to financial constraints, with the impact of the poker machine tax, the reduction in the leagues club grant and other factors,'' Canavan said. "It is very unfortunate but all clubs are dealing with it in different ways.

"This is what we've decided to do.''

The Roosters have competed in the under 16s since 1970 and the SG Ball since 1965. Canavan said he did not know of any other traditional clubs withdrawing from the 2009 Ball and Matthews at this stage.

But he rejected suggestions the culling of the teams would require the tricolours to do nothing but poach players from other clubs.

"We don't have a big junior base but we will still be offering scholarships, they will play school football which is a shorter season,'' he said.

"We won't send players out of our area to play,'' he said, adding they scholarship holders could play for rival teams "if they so wished''.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer has confirmed, meanwhile, that the Sea Eagles have withdrawn from the NSW Cup for next season.

"We are going to enter a team in the Queensland Cup next year called the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles,'' he said.

"There is still no structure for the NSW Cup for next year as far as I know."

A discraceful decision.I would love to know the thoughts from some of the legends that have come through their ranks ie Peardy,Johnny Mayes,Bunny Reilly and Horrie Hastings.I think they would be absolutely mortified.
A sad day for rugby league and junior development.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
They cut funding to their junior clubs a year or so ago.
Way to grow the game Roosters..woohoo!

"We don't have a big junior base but we will still be offering scholarships, they will play school football which is a shorter season,'' he said.

Where?
Randwick Boys High?

They are going broke. Have been for ages, i know that some admin staff have had their hours cut and contracted U20 players are helping out in the office

Eels Dude

Coach
Fair enough decision. Though they should be cutting other areas first. It will hurt the juniors... though every club has to do something.

If it wasn't for the Labor party rugby league wouldn't be in this position.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
That is a disgrace, quite frankly. But I wouldn't of expected anything less from a disgraceful club.

adamkungl

Immortal
f**k off souffs scum.
anyway my brother wont be pleased, he tried out for the 16s, is waiting for a response after playing in the second trial...

Ram Man

Juniors
Considering that Souths Juniors have a monopoly on all clubs past Anzac parade it was inevitable really.....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely there should some criteria to holding an NRL franchise? Teams shouldn't be allowed to just cut jnr's, it is the lifeblood of the game and if all clubs took this attitude the game would be stuffed!

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
f**k off souffs scum.
anyway my brother wont be pleased, he tried out for the 16s, is waiting for a response after playing in the second trial...

f**k you, you filthy parasite. This is a disgrace any way you scumbags want to look at it.

adamkungl

Immortal
So you agree with the call? Imbecile.

Its unfortunate. But what would souffs fans know about a disgrace when the majority of their junior clubs are only theirs because of some dodgy dealings when the boundaries were redone.

Ram Man

Juniors
Its unfortunate. But what would souffs fans know about a disgrace when the majority of their junior clubs are only theirs because of some dodgy dealings when the boundaries were redone.

Exactly...how are the Coogee Dolphins, Coogee Randwick Wombats, La Perouse, Moore Park apart of South Sydney....like I said...a monopoly

Tom Ace

Bench
Exactly...how are the Coogee Dolphins, Coogee Randwick Wombats, La Perouse, Moore Park apart of South Sydney....like I said...a monopoly

Exactly, give us back the juniors you stole or shut the f**k up about us not having any.

It's quite simple.

Latest posts