What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters Out of Junior Comps

sretsoor

Juniors
The NRL should manage the whole game from top to bottom. Be responsible for junior development, after all, they are protecting their long term interest and investment. It's what the AFL do and everywhere I look now all I see is Auskick.

LRC

Are n't the roosters spending $21 million on building an academy in Narrellan??
Surely this is a good idea that will benefit all teams.

NGR

Juniors
i cant believe rooster fans are defending this decision... and even worse trying to shift the blame to souths...

grow up kids...

i cant believe rooster fans are defending this decision... and even worse trying to shift the blame to souths...

grow up kids...

Not defending it, just accepting the decision. Some have called for the NRL to make junior development compulsory but how. As stated, your club's not doing anything either. You've been lucky that some very forward thinking people have built a great club that caters for junior development. Some people are fooled because the words, South Sydney appear on the club's door.

kbw

Bench
You are all wrong and right to some extent.
There were 2 phases of Roosters clubs going to Souths juniors.
The first was a backroom deal done on the sly by Souths or Souths juniors with NSWRL that gifted them several teams from the Roosters.
The second was a legimate offer from Souths juniors and some clubs put their hands up seeing a better deal and defected.

The Roosters really don't care a great deal about their local clubs and thats a disgrace. They have very few local kids in their older rep sides and its not good as there are quite a few floating around the NRL, esp at the U20 level.

Then again Souths are parasites when it comes to juniors, they have Souths Juniors a completely separate entity that do a wonderful job. And Souths just prey off their good work, without contributing much at all.

Blame which clubs you want but the problem is that its $ driven and alot of the administrators are completley inept dickheads. All the NRL clubs are basically hell bent on destroying the history of the game and frankly each year the game holds less appeal

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just out of interest if South's were no longer in the NRL would South's juniors carry on and would they be as succesful as they currently are? Just a general question and not a "kick Sth's out" motive!

F-1-11

Juniors
Some junior players are playing up to 40 to 50 games per year. I read an article were one player had played Sg ball,school football,junior reps and club games sometimes playing up to 4 times per week as well as training.This may be a shape of the future by some other clubs as it may assist with reducing burnout in young players.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24422868-5006066,00.html

Roosters out of junior comps
By Steve Mascord | September 30, 2008 12:00am

FOUNDATION club Sydney Roosters have concluded their centenary season by pulling out of the Harold Matthews and SG Ball junior competitions, citing cost-cutting.
For the first time, the red white and blue will not be seen in the NSW under 16s and Under 18s competitions in 2009 following an historic decision made by the Roosters board last week.

Chief executive Brian Canavan said the Roosters would continue to offer scholarships to players in those age groups but admitted players may have to be recruited from other clubs and areas at an older age.

"It comes down to financial constraints, with the impact of the poker machine tax, the reduction in the leagues club grant and other factors,'' Canavan said. "It is very unfortunate but all clubs are dealing with it in different ways.

"This is what we've decided to do.''

The Roosters have competed in the under 16s since 1970 and the SG Ball since 1965. Canavan said he did not know of any other traditional clubs withdrawing from the 2009 Ball and Matthews at this stage.

But he rejected suggestions the culling of the teams would require the tricolours to do nothing but poach players from other clubs.

"We don't have a big junior base but we will still be offering scholarships, they will play school football which is a shorter season,'' he said.

"We won't send players out of our area to play,'' he said, adding they scholarship holders could play for rival teams "if they so wished''.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer has confirmed, meanwhile, that the Sea Eagles have withdrawn from the NSW Cup for next season.

"We are going to enter a team in the Queensland Cup next year called the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles,'' he said.

"There is still no structure for the NSW Cup for next year as far as I know."

A discraceful decision.I would love to know the thoughts from some of the legends that have come through their ranks ie Peardy,Johnny Mayes,Bunny Reilly and Horrie Hastings.I think they would be absolutely mortified.
A sad day for rugby league and junior development.

I have no bad blood for the roosters - used to love watching the occasional eastern suburbs game when I was a kid in Brissie ... rated Kevin Hastings. But, this is a very good reason why they should be looked at one of the first sydney teams to move or fall over. Clubs need juniors not only for their own good but as another link to their local community.

kbw

Bench
F 1 11,
there is no doubt that Souths juniors would keep going.
The only impact might be at the older age group if they could not play rep football, SG ball H MAtts etc.

It didn't stop the Jnrs when Souths were kicked out before.
Its more a case that if Souths juniors folded then Souths would really struggle.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Thankfully some sort of about face.. Roosters to field a Harold Matthews team and Newtown an SG Ball team.

http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au/news.php

FROM THE HOMEPAGE

Easts revive S.G. Ball and Harold Mathews teamsThursday, October 16, 2008
The Sydney Roosters today confirmed that SG Ball and Harold Mathews teams will take part in the 2009 NSWRL junior representative competition.

The SG Ball under 18s and the Harold Mathews under 16s are seen as a key ingredients in the Sydney Roosters and the Newtown Jets junior development programmes and provide a clear career path for players and coaches.

Through Easts Leagues club’s strong and continued financial support to the Easts junior league, the local junior rugby league will oversee the Harold Mathews programme and ensure they continue to participate in the junior representative competition wearing the Roosters famous tri-colours.

The Roosters successful partnership with fellow Foundation club Newtown has provided the confidence for Newtown to enter a team into the S.G. Ball competition using many of the Roosters elite junior players.

Both teams were originally cut as part of the club’s cost cutting procedures, brought about by the increased poker machine tax and the introduction of new smoking laws.

Roosters CEO Brian Canavan, the central figure in the negotiations was thrilled with the outcome.

“The spirit of co-operation between Easts Leagues, the Roosters, the Easts junior league and Newtown has provided a successful result for all concerned and particularly aspiring young rugby league players searching for a pathway to the Roosters and Jets senior squads”.

Brycey

Juniors

grow up kids...
Not defending it, but I won't stand idly by when people call our club scum.

SSTD...how about you do your freakin research. SG Ball was a dual administrator for the NSWRL and Souths Sydney...a staunch Souths man through and through. The boundaries we had were unchanged for the best half of a century...he gets on the NSWRL board and all of a sudden our boundaries are changed...no explanation, no nothing.

Idiot.

c_eagle

Juniors
Just out of interest if South's were no longer in the NRL would South's juniors carry on and would they be as succesful as they currently are? Just a general question and not a "kick Sth's out" motive!
This experiment happened and Souths Jnrs barely noticed.

The backroom deal kbw is referring to was instigated by non other than Jersey Flegg. It's easy for the Bunnies to laugh at the Roosters' junior base when they stole the whole damn thing way back when.

bartman

Immortal
Roosters CEO Brian Canavan, the central figure in the negotiations was thrilled with the outcome.

“The spirit of co-operation between Easts Leagues, the Roosters, the Easts junior league and Newtown has provided a successful result for all concerned and particularly aspiring young rugby league players searching for a pathway to the Roosters and Jets senior squads”.
I wonder if this situation had any bearing on his decision to leave his position, before this turnaround.

innsaneink

Referee
Not defending it, but I won't stand idly by when people call our club scum.

SSTD...how about you do your freakin research. SG Ball was a dual administrator for the NSWRL and Souths Sydney...a staunch Souths man through and through. The boundaries we had were unchanged for the best half of a century...he gets on the NSWRL board and all of a sudden our boundaries are changed...no explanation, no nothing.

Idiot.

And what did Easts do about it?
Nothing...obviously.

RWB

Bench
Every man and his dog seemed to have an opinion on this 2 weeks ago, wonder where they have all gone?

Good to see the club has found the funds.

Brycey

Juniors
And what did Easts do about it?
Nothing...obviously.
Riiight. What could we do?

The NSWRL is the one that sets the boundaries, when someone who is on the NSWRL board and the Souths payroll and you ask them to give it back what do you think happens, it plays out as it did in history.

Mindless post. Fact of the matter is in the 50s Souths stalwart SG Ball abused his position on the NSWRL board by being the main motivator behind the change of boundaries that had not been touched in nearly 50 years!

No other club has had to endure losing 30-40% of its territory to its rival club.

adamkungl

Immortal
Aaaand we're back....wonder if they'll call up the kids who played in the second cutoff trial...my brother was trying for the 16s