What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters team v Brisbane

ozboy

Juniors
I was wrong, big time !!!

The Broncos just killed the Roosters.

The Broncos definately have changed the way they play the game and have adapted to the modern style of the game.

Brett Seymour is the best young halfback in the game, David Stagg could finally be the bloke who kicks Tonie Carroll out of the rep game and Leon Bott looks like he could become the number 1 winger in the game in the next few years.

For f#$ks sake, even Justin Hodges looks alright in that team.

The Roosters are just not the same team without Brad Fittler.

Hey at least I was right with one thing, Brett Firman is f#$ken crap !!!!

P.S, I might need about 10 towels.

JBW1983

Juniors
Hehe I think your bein a bit kind by saying hodges looked alright, his sluggishness still sticks out like a sore thumb.

Don't go and write us off just yet ozboy, we may be missing fittler quite a bit (esp in defence and organisation) but as i said earlier, give us another couple of months

Kiwi

First Grade
JBW1983 said:
Hehe I think your bein a bit kind by saying hodges looked alright, his sluggishness still sticks out like a sore thumb.

Don't go and write us off just yet ozboy, we may be missing fittler quite a bit (esp in defence and organisation) but as i said earlier, give us another couple of months

1 try, 1 try assist, 13 hit ups. 173 metres gained, only 1 missed tackle, and some good runs, sluggish :roll:

JBW1983

Juniors
You weren't at the game... those stats are just pumped up because of a try that was laid on for him and a 500 man overlap created by lockyer which let hodges set up a try... every time we kicked the ball at him we looked like we were going to score and we did on a couple of occasions. Hunt was also to blame a bit because he was cramping up but hodges can't communicate... doesn't spk english too well... and amos' try he just went around hodges like he didnt exist... wayyy too slow and sluggish!

Kiwi

First Grade
JBW1983 said:
You weren't at the game... those stats are just pumped up because of a try that was laid on for him and a 500 man overlap created by lockyer which let hodges set up a try... every time we kicked the ball at him we looked like we were going to score and we did on a couple of occasions. Hunt was also to blame a bit because he was cramping up but hodges can't communicate... doesn't spk english too well... and amos' try he just went around hodges like he didnt exist... wayyy too slow and sluggish!

I guess that makes Cross and Wing way too slow and sluggish, because Bott made them look a hell of a lot slower.

What so now you see more at the game, than watching it on TV, damn you have good eye sight?

What about the run of about 40 metres he did on a kick return, beating a few players?

Like I said in another post. The only thing the Broncos need to fix is making sure they take the high ball on the full. But that'll be fixed, the Roosters have ALOT more to worry about fixing.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Kiwi said:
JBW1983 said:

1 try, 1 try assist, 13 hit ups. 173 metres gained, only 1 missed tackle, and some good runs, sluggish :roll:
He looked pretty sluggish when he tripped ovwer his own shoe laces for Roberts' try. :lol: Not to mention how he went under the high ball.

JBW didnt say he was bad, just sluggish...there's a difference.

JBW1983

Juniors
Yeah he made that 40m run after letting the ball bounce and getting veryyyyyyy lucky. Cross wasn't slow and sluggish he just didnt chase hard enough. He thought the other defenders had Bott covered and Wing gave him too much of a start.

Amos should never even have got on the outside of Hodges, there was barely any room and Roberts caught the ball virtually stopped whereas Bott caught it at 2/3 pace and then clapped on the speed.

Anyway, judge for yourself but Hodges was a liability to the Broncos tonight and wil be further exposed in the coming weeks.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Hodgo certainly wasnt a liability. As a winger, he will be similar to Matt Utai...potentially very damaging but also pretty immobile and more than capable of having a boo-boo under the high ball.

But all in all, Brisbane are certainly a better team with his addition.

Kiwi

First Grade
JBW1983 said:
Yeah he made that 40m run after letting the ball bounce and getting veryyyyyyy lucky. Cross wasn't slow and sluggish he just didnt chase hard enough. He thought the other defenders had Bott covered and Wing gave him too much of a start.

Amos should never even have got on the outside of Hodges, there was barely any room and Roberts caught the ball virtually stopped whereas Bott caught it at 2/3 pace and then clapped on the speed.

Anyway, judge for yourself but Hodges was a liability to the Broncos tonight and wil be further exposed in the coming weeks.

Like I said letting the ball bounce is something they'll work on, it can and will be fixed.

Bott had less right to get on the outside of 3 defenders, you bag Hodges for the Roberts try, how about the effort of the 3 Bott made look stupid?

Watch the game again, Roberts didn't virtually stop, they both had about the same amount of room, Roberts stood up one player, Bott three. And Hodges isn't the first to be stood up by Roberts like that, and he wont be the last, it's why the Roosters bought him.

JBW1983

Juniors
Bott's try was sloppy i'll admit that. They misjudged Bott's speed and gave him too much leighway. But it's not something that happens time and time again... Hodges repeatedly gets stood up and taken on the outside, just the same as he repeatedly drops ball (or lets it bounce), misses tackles (tonight he only missed one but he only made four... and a few "non-attempts" should count as misses as well!) and gets caught out of position.

Bag Cross all you like, they exploited him in defence a few times but unlike Hodges he will work on it and improve for next time. Hodges is a dead set BUM

Kiwi

First Grade
JBW1983 said:
Bott's try was sloppy i'll admit that. They misjudged Bott's speed and gave him too much leighway. But it's not something that happens time and time again... Hodges repeatedly gets stood up and taken on the outside, just the same as he repeatedly drops ball (or lets it bounce), misses tackles (tonight he only missed one but he only made four... and a few "non-attempts" should count as misses as well!) and gets caught out of position.

Bag Cross all you like, they exploited him in defence a few times but unlike Hodges he will work on it and improve for next time. Hodges is a dead set BUM

No it's something thats happened since his knee injury. Before that he was classed as one of the best centres in the game and Rooster fans couldn't get enough of him. It wont be long before he is a force again, and like after last nights game, Rooster fans will be left with egg on their faces again.

As for his current defense, I'd be more worried about the 3 or 4 tries that were let in down Roberts side of the field, and the others down Monaghans. The Roosters outside backs were made to look like turnstyles all night.

Actually I thought Hodges went OK considering. He would have been a very nervous boy playing back here again after the acrimonious way he left. He does suffer nerves as evidenced by Origin. He isn't the first and he won't be the last winger Roberts beats with footwork. He made yards and went looking for the ball. Got into dummy half for runs. Did his share of work. Finished off a try was on hand to support in another. He wasn't brilliant but he contributed like a winger should to a win.

LRC

I think Hodges biggest problem is that he is slow to turn and chase kicks and will be exposed here by a better kicking game than the roosters have..I reckon centre is his best position but not with tate and Barrigan there... he has always reminded me of Mick Cronin in the way he can stand statue like in tackles and offload .
I reckon if Lote was on Hodges wing last night the soosters proably dont score a try and the broncos bag another 2 or so.
Good luck to him..he is a Broco and home boy and seems to be happy .

JBW1983

Juniors
The roosters problem was in the forwards.

The broncos were able to get quick play the balls with their forwards dominating the ruck, sucking defenders infield and leaving wide open pastures for the broncos backline out wide.

One big reason for that was the superb combination between brisbanes halves and forwards. They were put into gaps with quick balls from lockyer and seymour and didnt allow the roosters to gang tackle.

You can't blame roberts, monaghan or cross for that.

Needless to say ricky will be working on a way to counter teams with the ability to play that sort of a game (although im not sure if you can do anything about a guy like lockyer). Penrith last week have a very similar style of forward pack but didnt use the ball, instead choosing to go one out and got clobbered in gang tackles which is why we beat them and not brisbane.

I agree that he's not been the same player since his injuries but the only way to get back to where he was is through HARD WORK on his fitness and he just doesn't seem to know the meaning of those words.

Kiwi

First Grade
I agree that he's not been the same player since his injuries but the only way to get back to where he was is through HARD WORK on his fitness and he just doesn't seem to know the meaning of those words.

How can you say that, when he looks to have a totally new attitude, looks happy, looks like he has worked hard in the off season on his fitness ( He looks alot fitter than he has for a very long time ). Compare Hodges now to Hodges this time last year, there is a major difference, especially in fitness and attitude.

melon....

Coach
Kiwi....Hodges might regain his pace. Hodges might be the happiest camper in QLD. But know one thing. IF you are fortunate enough to make the GF....Hodges will cost you that game because one thing he will never have is HEART.

Kiwi

First Grade
melon.... said:
Kiwi....Hodges might regain his pace. Hodges might be the happiest camper in QLD. But know one thing. IF you are fortunate enough to make the GF....Hodges will cost you that game because one thing he will never have is HEART.

We'll see, and like after last night, me thinks Rooster fans will again be left eating humble pie, even if then generally have to be force fed it.