What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rorter's Title?

RednWhite

Bench
Twelve months ago, Melbourne Storm lifted the J.J. Giltinan Shiled as the NRL Premiers for 2009. We didn’t know at the time that they were systemically rorting the salary cap by the tune of $3.2 million. Subsequently they were stripped of their premiership (and others) which left other clubs, in particular their grand final opponents Parramatta lamenting on what could have been.

We would all hate to see this happen again this year.

There have only been two clubs that have been caught rorting the system, the Bulldogs 2002 and the Storm in 2010. But they were only caught due to an insider that blew the whistle. Even when the NRL were told of the Storm’s cheating, they only uncovered $1.7 million of the rort. It was left to Deloitte to uncover the other 80%.

Sure the NRL fines clubs every year for salary cap breaches – much of it due to interpretations of the cap, but the plain hard fact is that the NRL have never been able to detect a systematic rorting system through their own audits. After all, they went through the Storm’s books for the past five years and couldn’t find the $3.2 million rort.

So what does that all mean? Could there be another club out there that is rorting the salary cap? It would be naive to think that no other club have at least contemplated doing it. But we will never know because the NRL will never be able to catch them out.

When one speculates which club or clubs may be rorting the system, one only needs to look for the smoke which more than likely leads to fire. The Sydney Roosters are affectionately known by fans from other clubs as the “Rorters”. There are numerous stories of the brown paper bags used as player payments used at Bondi. Of course these are unsubstantiated rumours that cannot be proven. So let’s just stick with the facts.

The Roosters’ Board boast some of the most powerful businessmen in the country. They have the resources, business skills, impeccable connections and are proven winners. Some of them could fund the Roosters with their own money. It’s a powerful board that any club would be envious to have on their side. This of course does not imply that any of them have ever done anything illegal. Just that they are winners that know how to succeed in what they do.

So what do we look for in a club that rorts the system? Certainly we could look at unusually high standards of performance. The Roosters cannot be accused of that last year but that wasn’t an issue with their roster but with their coach. The Board did what they had to do – axe the coach even though he was a Rooster’s favourite son. The Board decided to replace Fittler with someone they considered to be the best coach, Brian Smith. The fact that he was under contract with another club and even recently extended it was apparently not an issue. The Roosters offer was too good for him to refuse and subsequently his contract with the Knights was terminated and he was free to join the Roosters.

If we are looking for unusual high performance than we need not look further than 2004 when the Roosters qualified for the Grand Final for the 4th time in 5 years. In the history of the NRL competition, there is only one been one other club that can claim anything like that record, and that was of course the Melbourne Storm who had made 4 Grand Finals in 4 years (but now we know how). This does not imply that there was anything illegal in that unusual high performance by the Roosters, but when an athlete wins a gold medal, they get tested.

The Roosters have an envious record of buying quality first grade players. That doesn’t prove anything but it’s interesting that they bought players like O’Meally, Miles, Anasta, Mason who were all from the Bulldogs premiership wining team and were ironically left the Bulldogs because they could no longer pay them what they used to before they were caught out for rorting the salary cap.

Anasta knocked back a lucrative offer from his juniors club Souths to join the Roosters. Recently the Cowboys looked to “throwing a chequebook” to get him but that won’t be enough to lure him away from the Roosters. The fact is the Roosters have never lost a player they really wanted to keep. In other words, they have never been outbid by any other club. Of course they let players go every year due to the salary cap, but so did the Storm.

Why did the teenage sensation Mitchell Peirce sign up with the Roosters rather than the club that he father had so proudly captained? Many sons have followed in their father’s footsteps and played for the same club – Dean Young, Brett Morris amongst many It could be that Peirce didn’t want to play in his father’s shadow. Fair enough. But certainly the Roosters must have made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

And so there we are. Absolutely no proof that the Roosters have done anything wrong. But much the same could have been said about the Storm 12 months ago.

Last edited:

STG 002

First Grade
the roosters team is not being overpaid. lets be honest, their team has half the talent of ours and plays well above their reputations. they have done super well and should be really proud of this year. players like kenny dowell were average last year, mini has played great this year after all of his surgeries, i thought he was washed up. that frank paul is a much better player this year too. linnett has come on faster than i'd have thought.
mitchell aubisson is also playing in career best form.
i dont begrudge them pearce, carney, anasta etc cause the rest of them are playing well above what i thought they were capable of.
don't get me wrong though - they are still my hated side by a million years.

big pat

Coach
a lot of dragon supporters in here, are 3 days away from their biggest games in 5 years, who cares what the roosters are doing.

MattYg1

Bench
the roosters team is not being overpaid. lets be honest, their team has half the talent of ours and plays well above their reputations. they have done super well and should be really proud of this year. players like kenny dowell were average last year, mini has played great this year after all of his surgeries, i thought he was washed up. that frank paul is a much better player this year too. linnett has come on faster than i'd have thought.
mitchell aubisson is also playing in career best form.
i dont begrudge them pearce, carney, anasta etc cause the rest of them are playing well above what i thought they were capable of.
don't get me wrong though - they are still my hated side by a million years.

hang on... location Bondi!?!?! hmmmm

Doug2234

First Grade
Roosters have had a good season.

besides i only read half of your post as the font is friggin terrible.

RednWhite

Bench
Imagine if the Rorters were to beat the Dragons in the Grand Final only to learn later that they were cheating the salary cap. I say better remove them from the competition this week.

TheRev

First Grade
It is very suss (The Roosters & the Broncos), for those of you who think the Dragons have a superior line-up, its not true, we have one of the weaker line-ups in the competition, thats why we struggle at times to score points, we dont have many true try-scorers apart from Morris, and even he finishes tries rather than creates them.

Most of the 'rep' footballers we have are very very fringe stuff.. Scott is a solid 1st grader who can tackle, Creagh was dropped, Cooper dropped, Weyman dropped, Hornby/Soward are never in the top tier of halves, I could go on.. the only genuine rep players are probably Boyd (who only came good this year as a support player) and Gasnier who we are paying through the nose for, and is still not 100% of regaining his form.

My point is, we dont have the $600k halves, the Inglis, the Slater, the Folau, the Hayne Train, the etc etc.. the genuine rep footballers, but just like the Tigers in 2005, were winning games with a bunch of blokes working hard for eachother and playing to the best of their ability. In Wayne we Trust.

macnaz

Staff member
I dont think the Rorters have a great side on paper really, should be well under the cap.
My suspicions would be swayed torwards the Rustys rabits.. Bought all the best forwards on the market, throw in some kiwi internationals and some S.O.O fringe players like Champion,Sutton,Sandow and Merrit etc plus also were heavily invloved in chasing Inglis to add to the side ... by far a more expensive looking side than the chooks from where im sitting.
Didnt get the South Sydney SeaEagles anywhere tho i guess

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
It is very suss (The Roosters & the Broncos), for those of you who think the Dragons have a superior line-up, its not true, we have one of the weaker line-ups in the competition, thats why we struggle at times to score points, we dont have many true try-scorers apart from Morris, and even he finishes tries rather than creates them.

Most of the 'rep' footballers we have are very very fringe stuff.. Scott is a solid 1st grader who can tackle, Creagh was dropped, Cooper dropped, Weyman dropped, Hornby/Soward are never in the top tier of halves, I could go on.. the only genuine rep players are probably Boyd (who only came good this year as a support player) and Gasnier who we are paying through the nose for, and is still not 100% of regaining his form.

My point is, we dont have the $600k halves, the Inglis, the Slater, the Folau, the Hayne Train, the etc etc.. the genuine rep footballers, but just like the Tigers in 2005, were winning games with a bunch of blokes working hard for eachother and playing to the best of their ability. In Wayne we Trust.

have you even checked our roster? Our pack is VERY inexperienced.. our backline is hardly all that flashy

The Broncos aren't over the cap in that a fair portion of their player salaries are derived from third party sponsorships which are unlimited.

The Brain

Juniors
Twelve months ago, Melbourne Storm lifted the J.J. Giltinan Shiled as the NRL Premiers for 2009. We didn’t know at the time that they were systemically rorting the salary cap by the tune of $3.2 million. Subsequently they were stripped of their premiership (and others) which left other clubs, in particular their grand final opponents Parramatta lamenting on what could have been.

We would all hate to see this happen again this year.

There have only been two clubs that have been caught rorting the system, the Bulldogs 2002 and the Storm in 2010. But they were only caught due to an insider that blew the whistle. Even when the NRL were told of the Storm’s cheating, they only uncovered $1.7 million of the rort. It was left to Deloitte to uncover the other 80%.

Sure the NRL fines clubs every year for salary cap breaches – much of it due to interpretations of the cap, but the plain hard fact is that the NRL have never been able to detect a systematic rorting system through their own audits. After all, they went through the Storm’s books for the past five years and couldn’t find the $3.2 million rort.

So what does that all mean? Could there be another club out there that is rorting the salary cap? It would be naive to think that no other club have at least contemplated doing it. But we will never know because the NRL will never be able to catch them out.

When one speculates which club or clubs may be rorting the system, one only needs to look for the smoke which more than likely leads to fire. The Sydney Roosters are affectionately known by fans from other clubs as the “Rorters”. There are numerous stories of the brown paper bags used as player payments used at Bondi. Of course these are unsubstantiated rumours that cannot be proven. So let’s just stick with the facts.

The Roosters’ Board boast some of the most powerful businessmen in the country. They have the resources, business skills, impeccable connections and are proven winners. Some of them could fund the Roosters with their own money. It’s a powerful board that any club would be envious to have on their side. This of course does not imply that any of them have ever done anything illegal. Just that they are winners that know how to succeed in what they do.

So what do we look for in a club that rorts the system? Certainly we could look at unusually high standards of performance. The Roosters cannot be accused of that last year but that wasn’t an issue with their roster but with their coach. The Board did what they had to do – axe the coach even though he was a Rooster’s favourite son. The Board decided to replace Fittler with someone they considered to be the best coach, Brian Smith. The fact that he was under contract with another club and even recently extended it was apparently not an issue. The Roosters offer was too good for him to refuse and subsequently his contract with the Knights was terminated and he was free to join the Roosters.

If we are looking for unusual high performance than we need not look further than 2004 when the Roosters qualified for the Grand Final for the 4th time in 5 years. In the history of the NRL competition, there is only one been one other club that can claim anything like that record, and that was of course the Melbourne Storm who had made 4 Grand Finals in 4 years (but now we know how). This does not imply that there was anything illegal in that unusual high performance by the Roosters, but when an athlete wins a gold medal, they get tested.

The Roosters have an envious record of buying quality first grade players. That doesn’t prove anything but it’s interesting that they bought players like O’Meally, Miles, Anasta, Mason who were all from the Bulldogs premiership wining team and were ironically left the Bulldogs because they could no longer pay them what they used to before they were caught out for rorting the salary cap.

Anasta knocked back a lucrative offer from his juniors club Souths to join the Roosters. Recently the Cowboys looked to “throwing a chequebook” to get him but that won’t be enough to lure him away from the Roosters. The fact is the Roosters have never lost a player they really wanted to keep. In other words, they have never been outbid by any other club. Of course they let players go every year due to the salary cap, but so did the Storm.

Why did the teenage sensation Mitchell Peirce sign up with the Roosters rather than the club that he father had so proudly captained? Many sons have followed in their father’s footsteps and played for the same club – Dean Young, Brett Morris amongst many It could be that Peirce didn’t want to play in his father’s shadow. Fair enough. But certainly the Roosters must have made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

And so there we are. Absolutely no proof that the Roosters have done anything wrong. But much the same could have been said about the Storm 12 months ago.

Dont open your big mouth too soon
You better check the form of a few other clubs champ.

dice

Juniors
Roosters are by far the youngest team in the finals. Perhaps you should be looking at the teams with more established stars in their side.