What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotten to the core

RL1908

Bench
RL1908 yes RL gives plenty of content in NSW and QLD but what is the perception of the game outside these states? Are we ahead of our competitors outside our respective home states?

Sponsors want national and international exposure do they not?

What international exposure does AFL give a sponsor? Just how much exposure does it even give in NSW and QLD?

As for how the AFL & NRL are going in their non-traditional states, I posted this in the thread about the Storm's 14K crowd...

In NSW & QLD Aust rules is hardly an unknown game. All the new AFL clubs will offer is a local team, not a new and previously unknown sport.

In comparison, you don't have to go far to find in Victoria or in the other AFL states someone who has no idea of RL.

So which code has the greater scope for attracting new fans and markets - the NRL or AFL?

chunk

Juniors
I think the large majority of posters hear dislike Rebecca Wilson and her sensationalised tripe.

So why do people always have to comment on it? Her threads are always well responed to and always disagree with her 'point of view'

If you don't like what she says don't respond.

The best way to stop the dribble is to boycott her thoughts.

I understand it annoying but don't respond.

Ignore it and it will go away.

I know this may sound patronising but people like her are measured on responses in forums, telephone calls, letters etc...thats what people like her write for, to get a reaction.

So please stop reacting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chunk

Juniors
Yet you start a thread in which she is the central figure, idiot.

Just trying to put a stop to it. I suppose she will always find a place with people who hve to resort to name calling....grow up.

Last edited:

chunk

Juniors
Please take my thread topic 'All posters - Wake up to youselves RE Rebecca Wilson' of this thread.

Hanscholo

Bench
Rebecca its ok, your one of the very few people that i never listen to on any subject. I learned years ago with you that I would never agree with you on any topic because your understanding of any issue is so on face value that anyway that looks a little deeper at any issue rolls right passed your teenage opinion.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
What international exposure does AFL give a sponsor? Just how much exposure does it even give in NSW and QLD?

As for how the AFL & NRL are going in their non-traditional states, I posted this in the thread about the Storm's 14K crowd...

In NSW & QLD Aust rules is hardly an unknown game. All the new AFL clubs will offer is a local team, not a new and previously unknown sport.

In comparison, you don't have to go far to find in Victoria or in the other AFL states someone who has no idea of RL.

So which code has the greater scope for attracting new fans and markets - the NRL or AFL?

True the AFL can't give the international exposure, but they can give the national and they are positioning themselves to be this. They already call themselves the national football game. We know this isn't true. But the thousands who follow the game that is perceived as being the "in" game don't care.

AFL are doing very well in there non traditional areas as opposed to us, the Swans can get 50,000 to a home and away game at the Olympic stadium. Not bad. They are also getting more for TV rights and attracting big sponsors have massive memebership numbers and are doing very well.

The perception of their game is very positive.

Ours is very negative which stiffles the growth. and doesn't attract new people.

I am saying there is an agenda by the media to keep us in our place just as they use to focus on the thuggery and violence they now focus on player behaviour. They also don't give us a chance internationally always mocking our game, look at the way they death rode the WC even before it started. They didn't give it a chance. Now why would they do it?

We need strong leadership and a plan to grow this game, at the moment all we have is a damaged image.

Brutus

Referee
Is it at all possible that with the re-engineering of the Australian sporting landscape ie. we are not one of the chosen sports and they are driving us down as a product. The easiest way is to damage it through these sensational pieces that completely damage the game and drive it to being marginalised. We will never tap into the "swinging" support that follows the"in" game. This was a market we attracted in the late 80's early 90's when league was seen as trendy. Now it is seen as a yobbo boofhead sport, losing credibility with every incident. Everyone knows mothers are what everyone is aiming for, as a result to weaken our impact with them make out RL players are beer swilling sexual predators.

As a result sponsors go to other sports we get left with regional support.

You may not agree with me but I can't help think there are higher powers influencing the perception of every sport.

Otherwise why does every other sport have a plan to grow their games to increase revenue yet we do nothing.

Why is every league incident blown way out of context whilst other codes get away with similar incidents?

The constant attacks on RL culture as though we are a negative sport to be left alone.

Just my thoughts the next 10-20 years will tell. however if you are sponsor why not back one national code rather than pay top dollar for two? And we all know we are led by what big corporations want.

Excellent post.

I've often thought that.

_Johnsy

Referee
Looks I'm fighting a lost caused with the intelligence of some on here

Why are you surprised at the comments about bourbon beck, you started the "Leave Beck alone" thread.

stop-picking-on-britney.jpg