What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotten to the core

sass

Juniors
The thing is that there is a drinking culture in sporting clubs in general, not just rugby league clubs. Playing sport through the year everyone goes back to the club to get pissed afterwards, no matter what the game.
That professionals are doing this is no surprise when they've grown up in this australian sporting culture. What can happen tho, obviously, is you get a few ego driven macho men who dont know when to stop and sh*t hits the fan.

How do you change this? f**ked if i know, you'd need a significant mentality change throughout the australian sporting landscape i think.

Still, remarkable how easy it is to go out with mates have a few too many and NOT get into a whole heaps of sh*t, some players really are childish.

totally agree ... it's the same in most social sports, not just in professional ones. it's also an australian culture thing. which I'm sure she knows ... as a journalist. if there's anyone who loves a drink more than a journo, I haven't found them.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Is it at all possible that with the re-engineering of the Australian sporting landscape ie. we are not one of the chosen sports and they are driving us down as a product. The easiest way is to damage it through these sensational pieces that completely damage the game and drive it to being marginalised. We will never tap into the "swinging" support that follows the"in" game. This was a market we attracted in the late 80's early 90's when league was seen as trendy. Now it is seen as a yobbo boofhead sport, losing credibility with every incident. Everyone knows mothers are what everyone is aiming for, as a result to weaken our impact with them make out RL players are beer swilling sexual predators.

As a result sponsors go to other sports we get left with regional support.

You may not agree with me but I can't help think there are higher powers influencing the perception of every sport.

Otherwise why does every other sport have a plan to grow their games to increase revenue yet we do nothing.

Why is every league incident blown way out of context whilst other codes get away with similar incidents?

The constant attacks on RL culture as though we are a negative sport to be left alone.

Just my thoughts the next 10-20 years will tell. however if you are sponsor why not back one national code rather than pay top dollar for two? And we all know we are led by what big corporations want.

adamkungl

Immortal
I said this in another thread.
If there have been 50 alcohol related incidents in the last decade according to the Telegraph. Lets say 10 are utter rubbish non-issues, and 20 belong to Carney, Smith and O-Neill. And there are about 1500-2000 players over the last 10 years.
Is there really a problem?

Ausguy

Coach
i just saw 3 saints players down at pauls hamburgers at sylvania... and i think i just think one of them had tomato on their burger!!!!!!! oh my god its true.... quick beccy write an article about it, and thats not all one of them left lettuce, yes lettuce on the table!!!!

ps all of the above is true... i just had lunch there :) great burgers!!!

gong_eagle

First Grade
i just saw 3 saints players down at pauls hamburgers at sylvania... and i think i just think one of them had tomato on their burger!!!!!!! oh my god its true.... quick beccy write an article about it, and thats not all one of them left lettuce, yes lettuce on the table!!!!

ps all of the above is true... i just had lunch there :) great burgers!!!

as long as they put beetroot on the hamburgers then its fine

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Is it at all possible that with the re-engineering of the Australian sporting landscape ie. we are not one of the chosen sports and they are driving us down as a product. The easiest way is to damage it through these sensational pieces that completely damage the game and drive it to being marginalised. We will never tap into the "swinging" support that follows the"in" game. This was a market we attracted in the late 80's early 90's when league was seen as trendy. Now it is seen as a yobbo boofhead sport, losing credibility with every incident. Everyone knows mothers are what everyone is aiming for, as a result to weaken our impact with them make out RL players are beer swilling sexual predators.

You may not agree with me but I can't help think there are higher powers influencing the perception of every sport.

Otherwise why does every other sport have a plan to grow their games to increase revenue yet we do nothing.

Why is every league incident blown way out of context whilst other codes get away with similar incidents?

The constant attacks on RL culture as though we are a negative sport to be left alone.

Just my thoughts the next 10-20 years will tell. however if you are sponsor why not back one national code rather than pay top dollar for two? And we all know we are led by what big corporations want.
Do you sit at home waiting for the martians to land?

Tommax25

Bench
Still there is plenty in there which is valid comment, despite her then stretching things to make her point.

I have no argument with these.

The regular player f**kups do nothing to dispel this assertion.

Seems a decent character assessment of Watmough. He is a tool if he did half of what was claimed.

Many brought the game into disrepute as much as its players did.

Apart from the fact that Gallop must be slow if he's only just realising this, its clear that there is a proportion of players who need babysitters and can't be trusted to behave themselves if left to their own devices. My general experience is that people who start out as trouble do not tend to stay out of it. Clubs need to be prepared to cut players loose at the first hints of trouble, not mollycoddle them. The other clubs need to support each other in cleaning up the game .... instead they can't wait to snaffle up each arsehole player, because they can play footy. Once exiled by one club for behaviour issues, the player should be completely on the outer with the other clubs as a show of solidarity in tackling bad behaviour. (Not going to happen, but that would be the decent thing for them to do).

Manly have shown themselves as weak, too many involved in the clubs are just old boys who bring little if anything to the table in driving the success of the game, rather just wanting to hold onto their glory days. As for the fans, we've seen plenty of evidence of that in this forum.

I could be unkind here and say that a key reason league has problems is because it takes undereducated bogans, glorifies them because they can play football, gives them access to wealth and fame, and women, that they would otherwise never get, disconnects them from the real world, leaves them with plenty of time on their hands. They become totally insular, focused on themselves and the team, and lack many of the day to day interactions most people have in the community.

Little wonder some of them act like stupid bogans.

As did the titans and warriors then?

On the article, yes what she writes is true, but she is talking about manly, stewart ect bringing the game down and making negative headlines for the game. How exactly does writing an article saying what everyone already knows inject positive vibes into the game? Shouldnt she write about the games of footy that kicked off last night or the re-signings of two of the exciting players in the game in slater and benji amidst cross-code/country competition instead of writing a negative story about something that has already been written about to death on, on the weekend the footy starts back up? F*ck of wilson, your a parasite.

RL1908

Bench

Working against that theory is that the media needs content to fill its air-time and print pages, and offer viewer choices.

It is also worth noting that no country in the western world has devoted itself entirely to one of the softer forms of football i.e. soccer or Aust rules.

The public, or a still significant % of the public, prefer their football in a more hardier form.

Aust rules was born a half-bred softer form of football than the rugby codes, and under the current AFL admin is softening its game at an increasing pace (the looming extinction of "the bump" the most recent example).

The success of the NFL in the USA (in particular) and RU elsewhere show that Australia too will never be devoid of a more harder (physically) form of football.

RL should not shy away from its aggressive side on the field, as it provides us with a market distinction (off-field behaviour being an entirely different matter). RL will continue to grow in Victoria whilever it offers what the AFL and soccer can't.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
As did the titans and warriors then?

On the article, yes what she writes is true, but she is talking about manly, stewart ect bringing the game down and making negative headlines for the game. How exactly does writing an article saying what everyone already knows inject positive vibes into the game? Shouldnt she write about the games of footy that kicked off last night or the re-signings of two of the exciting players in the game in slater and benji amidst cross-code/country competition instead of writing a negative story about something that has already been written about to death on, on the weekend the footy starts back up? F*ck of wilson, your a parasite.
It is the job of a journalist to be impartial. It is not her job to write something positive for the sake of it. The problem with bec the drunk, is she is not impartial and she is dumber than the football players she writes about.

Cloud9

I hope Wilson has enough integrity to apologise to the Bulldogs players who had charges dropped against them. The hysteria she spreads does more damage to the game.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
RL1908 yes RL gives plenty of content in NSW and QLD but what is the perception of the game outside these states? Are we ahead of our competitors outside our respective home states?

Sponsors want national and international exposure do they not?

Kiki

First Grade
ahhahahahaha oh my god. she is so patronising. AND A DRINK DRIVER.

*explodes with rage*

Kiki

First Grade
also her crap about the players being working class is deadset one of the most patronising things i've ever read. ughhhhh

bartman

Immortal
also her crap about the players being working class is deadset one of the most patronising things i've ever read. ughhhhh
Yep. Not a good way to start an article.

I didn't read past that to be honest... and she's a drink driver ;-).

Latest posts