What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 - Storm vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 11th March 8:05pm @AAMI Park

callmack1

Staff member
Here’s my full report,

After watching the replay and analysing things further, I’m actually feeling a lot better about this game. Yes, a loss is a loss, but we showed a lot in that game. Obviously started off far too slow and we couldn’t handle the Storm onslaught, although, I don’t think many teams would have. However, once we started to get our shit sorted, things began to fall in place and we looked fantastic! I honestly believe we were the batter side for much of second half and it showed as we kept them scoreless for 50mins and won that period 18-6. So if we didn’t start so poorly and could hold the bal, who knows what might happen? One thing I will say too is that our defence requires a lot of work still as some of those tries we conceded were shocking.

Mitchell: Had a stellar game, one of the best I’ve seen him play for Souths. This time last year his critics were saying he’s not involved enough, didn’t have enough impact etc. Well, that certainly wasn’t the case last night! He was everywhere. Great positioning at the back, chiming into the backline really well and demanding the Footy, taking on the line on kick returns too. Not only that but he looked so dangerous with every touch, constantly making tackle breaks. Was great hands to put AJ over for his first and then scored a brilliant try of his own through his speed and power. He wasn’t fully without fault though, a poor read on Munster as he was fully sold by his dummy for the Storm’s first try. He also dropped a high ball. However, apart from that, Trell was all class and I reckon he’s in for a huge year.

Johnston: Not a bad game for AJ. His running game was decent although I would have liked to see him be more busy. He did look a bit hesitant on the end of some of our shapes, I’d like to see him just pin the ears back and have a go more but he did still have two fantastic finishes in the corner which were great.

Gagai: A bit of a mixed review for Gags. He made some good runs that we have become used to but then had some really poor ones at times that lacked intensity, one of those produced an error right on our line. He looked elusive attacking their line and the Storm struggled to nab him first time. In defence, it was his poor read that lead to Paps’ try but that was his only bad read for the night.

Graham: Was pretty solid all game without being spectacular. I have no real criticism for him. Very solid hit ups, I thought his work rate was good and he did threaten to break the line a few times while we were on the attack.

Mansour: Was average. I have to be honest. His hit ups were fine, he had some really good runs throughout the game but I think his work rate was a bit lacking. Dropped an easy catch on the end of a right side shift early on which was a chance gone begging as it would have put him one on one with Addo-Carr. Also, that pushed pass he did to AJ, I think it was in the second half, was inexcusable. Wingers should not be linking up in that situation and there was no need for it. I’m willing to cut him some slack though, his first official game at a new club in the unfamiliar right wing spot. No doubt there’ll be a bedding in period.

Walker: A rocks and diamonds start to the Season for Cody as he had a few really nice moments and then some really poor moments. Gotta be honest, probably more bad than good. I’ll start with the bad. Upon watching the replay, he bombed two tries last night. The first was mid first half, I think the Storm were up 12-0 at that stage, we’re attacking their line and put on a great shape to the left. The play works and we look to have got them as Latrell is swooping around the back of Cody with Gags and AJ outside him, thus, creating a three on two. However, Cody decides not to pass which kills the play. The second bombed try is the last play before half time. Again, similar position, similar shape, again, an overlap. But this time Cody take his eye off the ball and it bounces straight off his chest. We need better in these two situations. What’s more, he made an error at a separate time. Now to the good. Cody did still look dangerous on some plays, he was creating chances. He was involved in most of the good attacking raids we made. Provided and absolute beauty of a cut-out ball for AJ’s second, that was special. Otherwise, overall I expect better from Cody.

Reynolds: Was also pretty quiet last night. Apart from a a handful of attacking raids, we was barely seen on the attack at all. He didn’t float over to the left to be involved in a play over there, nothing. We need more involvement than that from our halfback. Even his kicking game was a bit off I thought. Despite a few good kicks, the rest just didn’t seem to have any ‘oompf’ to them. Then on defence, he was sound for most of the game apart from a very poor read on his part but also a bit of bad communication with Su’A.

Burgess: One of the least impactful games I’ve seen him play for a while. The Storm just ran all over him in that opening stanza and Tom was very quiet. Not good enough from a starting front rower of his calibre. Suffered that injury but thankfully he’s okay.

Cook: This is going to be harsh but he was probably our worst player of the game last night. He did do a lot of defence but on attack he added nothing. No runs and some really bad passing from dummy half, one of which mid way through the first half cost us big time as I could feel a try coming in that set but that killed our momentum. Not sure what it is with Cookie in these big games but it’s a worry.

Tatola: Just as poor as Burgess and I’d kind of give these two the same comments.

Host: A pretty quiet game compared to his efforts in the Charity Shield, it was like he was running straight into brick walls as it seems he just couldn’t make any meters. Had an error in him too. First game for the club though so I’ll cut him some slack.

Su’A: Again, I’m gonna be pretty harsh but that’s one of the worst games I’ve seen him play. Hardly made an impact out there on the right edge and was hooked early as a result. He’s had an injury and I get it going to take some time to get back to his best but I still expect a lot better than that from him.

Murray: Wasn’t too bad but probably had a quiet game by his standards. When he did run that ball, it was the Cam Murray we know and love but the problem was he didn’t do enough of that last night. He played too much like another ball player, a link player. We all know his ball playing is great but there needs to be a balance between his ball playing and running (which is his biggest strength). Too much focus on being a ball player which blunted his effectiveness in attack. He didn’t use the biggest weapon in his Arseanal.

Marshall: Because of the state of the game, Benji was put on way earlier than expected however, it proved to be a great call. Benji had a big impact and kind of changed the game when he came on. We started to look a bit more crisp, more direct and determined. He was making some space up there and it was him that started the movement for our tries. Turns out he was exactly the change we needed. One of our best.

Nicholls; Played well. Despite playing reduced minutes, he managed a nice litte stinit. Some awesome hit ups, solid defence and he certainly didn’t let anyone down.

Koloamatangi: Despite a few silly errors, Keaon picked up right where he left off last year. Another big meter-eating performance as he had plenty of runs and charged into the line with a truck load of aggression. Was up there with the top run maters all game off the bench so that’s a strong effort.

Arrow: One hell of a club debut!! He gave it his all last night and wore that Rabbit on his chest with pride. He came off the bench and looked so determined, it was go time from the get go. Jai just kept going, and going all game, it was great run after great run. Honestly, I was blown away, he was just everywhere. A top shelf game!

So yea, I do think there’s a lot to like and be proud of there, still plenty to work on which is always good. We have now come back to earth a bit and hopefully there’ll be a lot less hype.

Robbie 12

Juniors
What poor game one thing I don’t understand

renolds put up all those booms on the last tackle, and not one player tried to contest for the ball or put pressure on the Melbourne player trying to catch it, not one south’s player goes for it

second, instead of booms going up and hoping and praying for a knock on, which 10% of the time it might happen, which is the most stupidest play.....also not one ball was put in the in goals for a drop out, no repeat sets or keeping on the pressure......how many time did addo Carr catch the ball on the full for kick returns...everytime

and the thing is now, we know how to beat south’s ....just get up into their faces in defence, and they will make mistakes and turnover possession.....

assess5

Juniors
Here’s my full report,

After watching the replay and analysing things further, I’m actually feeling a lot better about this game. Yes, a loss is a loss, but we showed a lot in that game. Obviously started off far too slow and we couldn’t handle the Storm onslaught, although, I don’t think many teams would have. However, once we started to get our shit sorted, things began to fall in place and we looked fantastic! I honestly believe we were the batter side for much of second half and it showed as we kept them scoreless for 50mins and won that period 18-6. So if we didn’t start so poorly and could hold the bal, who knows what might happen? One thing I will say too is that our defence requires a lot of work still as some of those tries we conceded were shocking.

So yea, I do think there’s a lot to like and be proud of there, still plenty to work on which is always good. We have now come back to earth a bit and hopefully there’ll be a lot less hype.

Agree with most of what you say, just want to say three things
1. Storm where awesome in defense, they just kept moving up in a line so fast, sometimes arriving the same time as the ball, so destroyed any attack or development of momentum.
2. Every, I mean absolutely every time Reynolds kicked the ball the Melbourne defense, running through, put him, Reynolds, on his arse, every time. Maybe not hard but enough to let AR know that the next time the same was going to happen. That is very very off putting to a little guy like Adam, a forward should have been delegated to flatten the Melbourne players to protect Adam, some one like Sua. Strange, the ref missed every one, didn't miss Gagai's tackle on that Storm guy and penalized him straight away.
3. Storm guys, when tackled did not stop but kept rolling forward sometimes cribbing as much as five to seven metres, Souths became aware of it towards the end of the second half and stopped it but its something that needs to be sorted out by referees or by a big forward busting heads and or hands.

Only thing I disagree with your analyses is I thought Host had a good debut. Thought Nichols was great to.

How bad was Burgess's injury?

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Agree with most of what you say, just want to say three things

2. Every, I mean absolutely every time Reynolds kicked the ball the Melbourne defense, running through, put him, Reynolds, on his arse, every time. Maybe not hard but enough to let AR know that the next time the same was going to happen. That is very very off putting to a little guy like Adam, a forward should have been delegated to flatten the Melbourne players to protect Adam, some one like Sua. Strange, the ref missed every one, didn't miss Gagai's tackle on that Storm guy and penalized him straight away.

A lot of this is also down to the pressure Reynolds is put under from Cooks bad service from dummy half. Has been an issue for Reynolds to overcome for years now and frankly Reynolds kicks have been amazing for so long despite that handicap Cook continually delivers.

Mr Spock!

Referee
A lot of this is also down to the pressure Reynolds is put under from Cooks bad service from dummy half. Has been an issue for Reynolds to overcome for years now and frankly Reynolds kicks have been amazing for so long despite that handicap Cook continually delivers.
No wonder Marshall was giving Cook a spray at training.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
No wonder Marshall was giving Cook a spray at training.
It shouldn't have taken Marshall to do it though.

Cook has always had this problem. Bad service, questionable defence and decision making under pressure have been his 3 kryptonites. It's why he struggled to cement a first grade spot in 16-17 when Mcinnes then Farah where at the club.

In 2018 he made improvements. His defence got to at least an acceptable standard, he was focused on his delivery from dummy half, and the game plan was simplified for him to just run when he thought something is on. Post origin 2019 a lot of that has reversed. His defence is slipping again, his service is getting sloppy again, and when he sprints out of dummy half he second guesses himself instead of just taking the hit.

The fans and media have started taking notice, which isn't a good thing. When he is under pressure he overplays his hand, makes errors and it becomes a self propelling cycle. One of the best things Seibold did in 2018 was get rid of Farah, not because Farah was a bad player (he would actually have been a good back up going into the finals that year). But getting rid of Farah helped ease the pressure if Cook. He could relax, he was no longer in danger of losing his spot or being benched mid game.
But in 2021 the pressure is back on Cook. He is one of the club leaders, highest paid players, incumbent Test and Origin player and souths are on the back of 3 prelim losses. It might not be about getting the best out of Cook this year, it may be minimising his negative actions on the team that may be key in 2021

Travitoh

First Grade
It's no coincidence that Cook's best season came when he was free to run.

His form has been slowly declining after 2018 but i feel that coaching and tactics has played a part. Under Seibold he was encouraged to run at every opportunity. Under Bennett i get the impression that he is required to play a more allround game which just isn't his go.

The tactics have impacted his form and without belief and freedom to run, he will struggle to repeat the form that earnt him a Blues call up.

He still gets through a lot of work defensively. He's never been a rock in the middle but he always gives it everything. Along with Murray, he's another who could benefit defensive workload wise from Arrow's arrival.

Let the boy run!

NovoBunny94

Juniors
It's no coincidence that Cook's best season came when he was free to run.

His form has been slowly declining after 2018 but i feel that coaching and tactics has played a part. Under Seibold he was encouraged to run at every opportunity. Under Bennett i get the impression that he is required to play a more allround game which just isn't his go.

The tactics have impacted his form and without belief and freedom to run, he will struggle to repeat the form that earnt him a Blues call up.

He still gets through a lot of work defensively. He's never been a rock in the middle but he always gives it everything. Along with Murray, he's another who could benefit defensive workload wise from Arrow's arrival.

Let the boy run!

Spot on re Arrow and Murray’s workload in the middle allowing free reign for a poly in defence.. was thinking it today also

Thoughts on Burgess being benched and Arrow playing prop?

Travitoh

First Grade
Spot on re Arrow and Murray’s workload in the middle allowing free reign for a poly in defence.. was thinking it today also

Thoughts on Burgess being benched and Arrow playing prop?

In my preseason lineups i was starting Arrow ahead of Tatola but now that the season is underway i wouldn't rush to make the change just yet. Arrow can still play 50-60 from the bench and be a major contributer. Probably even gives more flexibility to the forward pack without having to reshuffle too much. The same can probably be said about Tatola but Tom i feel is the best attacking prop Souths have for the opening 20 and if in form, should start.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
In my preseason lineups i was starting Arrow ahead of Tatola but now that the season is underway i wouldn't rush to make the change just yet. Arrow can still play 50-60 from the bench and be a major contributer. Probably even gives more flexibility to the forward pack without having to reshuffle too much. The same can probably be said about Tatola but Tom i feel is the best attacking prop Souths have for the opening 20 and if in form, should start.

I suppose youre right in regards to our best attacking prop. But he jumper grabs after15 minutes which frustrates the hell out of me

Travitoh

First Grade
I suppose youre right in regards to our best attacking prop. But he jumper grabs after15 minutes which frustrates the hell out of me

Yep and when that begins, Arrow gets brought on to replace him.

As we experienced Thursday night, starting with momentum is so important and Tom is the type of forward that can achieve that. Arrow and co are capable of continuing it when they come on and good enough to wrestle it back should they need while Tom rests. In my opinion anyway.