What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Team

Dragsters

First Grade
Hello all. First time poster, long time forum junkie, life-long Dragons fanatic!

Very excited by the potential for success in 2016.

My 1st round team at this stage would be:

1.Gaz
2. Flo
3. The Dugan
4. Lafai
5. KFFL
6. Benji
7. Mann
8. Lesson
9. Rein
10. Packer
11. Friz
12. Thommo
13. JDB

14. Creagh (C)
15. Mose
16. Coops
17. Haviili

I think we have bought well enough to give us plenty of options and depth and more importantly address the areas that caused problems last year.

If Mary can instil that defensive steel into the new recruits, with the extra size in the pack, ball playing options and additional speed out wide I reckon we can give any opposition a run for their money.

I like the leaving out lafai you don't know a thing about rugby league.

He has come in late and will have to earn his place like anyone else.

Everyone has to earn a spot.

hardbaby

Coach
Seems as though there's 2 types of people...those leaving Lafai out of the team, and those who follow rugby league...

Everyone has an opinion and fair enough but you are right. Lafai is our best left centre by miles.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Welcome to the forum Dragsters nice team . Mine differs slightly .

1..Mann
2..Flo ...If fit....or Mata
3..Dugan
4..Lafai
5..Milne
6..Widdop (c)
7..Benji
8..Ah Mau
9..Rein
10..Packer
11..Friz
12..Thommo
13..JDB

14..Creagh
15..Mose
16..Cooper
17..Havili

nrlnrl

First Grade
Mann
Nightingale
Dugan
Lafai
Mata'utia
Widdop (c)
Marshall
Ah Mau
Rein
Cooper
Frizell
Thompson
DeBelin
INT
Packer (could need some time to gain fitness for NRL- see below)
Creagh
Matthews (if fit after shoulder op)
Havili

18 Milne
19 Masoe ( if fit for NRL) or /Lui/Marketo

I know the thread is about Round 1, but keep in mind the reduced interchange will take some adjusting, depending on opponents & conditions (over the first 7 rounds the Dragons have 3 afternoon games in a row & then the 3 game Qld road trip)

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
Welcome to the forum Dragsters nice team . Mine differs slightly .

1..Mann
2..Flo ...If fit....or Mata
3..Dugan
4..Lafai
5..Milne
6..Widdop (c)
7..Benji
8..Ah Mau
9..Rein
10..Packer
11..Friz
12..Thommo
13..JDB

14..Creagh
15..Mose
16..Cooper
17..Havili
Cheers GC.

Solid options there also.

I haven't seen anything of Milne but he sounds promising.

I reckon if KFFL gets a crack he will surprise a few.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Default Re: Round 1 Team
1. Mann
2. Mata'utia
3. Aiken
4. Dugan
5. Lafai
6. Widdop (c)
7. Marshall
8. Ah Mau
9. Rein
10. Creagh
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Packer
15.Cooper
16. Masoe
17. Nightingale - only if fit and plays well in trials

Simon

Juniors
1. Dugan (not sold on the whole moving him totally. I'd play him fullback in defence and centre in attack)
2. Aitken
3. Lafai
4. Mann (swapping with Dugan in attack)
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Marshall
8. Ah Mau
9. Rein
10. Cooper
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. De Belin

14. Packer
15. Creagh
16. Matthews (I think we have to cover the back row and Matthews can also play in the middle)
17. Havili

18. Masoe (depending on trials and fitness, also to replace Havili if Rein is going to play 80)

Coffs dragon

Bench
1. Dugan
2. Nightingale
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Matautai
6. Widdop
7. Marshall/ Mann
8. Ah Mau
9. Rein
10. Cooper
11.Thompson
12. Frizzell
13. JDB
14. Creagh (c)
15. Packer
16.Masoe
17.Marketo or Saliva Havili bloke

Minh

First Grade
1. Dugan
2. Nightingale
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Matautai
6. Widdop
7. Marshall/ Mann
8. Ah Mau
9. Rein
10. Cooper
11.Thompson
12. Frizzell
13. JDB
14. Creagh (c)
15. Packer
16.Masoe
17.Marketo or Saliva Havili bloke

This is the actual team I'd pick, you had Marketo who I'd have at 17 as well and I would have Marshall a certainty (bar injury) at number 7....

BrissyRedV

Bench
1. Mann
2. Mata'utia
3. Lafai
4. Dugan
5. Flo
6. Benji
7. Widdop
8. Packer
9. Rein
10. Ah Mau
11. Frizzell
12. Thompson
13. De Belin

14. Creagh
15. Cooper
16. Masoe
17. Lui / Havili / Matthews

So much more competition for spots this year hopefully will produce some standout performances.

Despite the negativity of a few on here, Dragons actually have a well balanced team for 2016.

That extra grunt up front and tweaking of the backline is much better than 2015.

Mr Red

First Grade
seems to be some weird offerings being put forward in here....
- a team without lafai who is our best centre

- a push for an guy (Mann) who is basically untried at first grade, let alone halfback to grab the halfback spot and be able to steer the team around the field... does he even have a kicking game? do you really think Mann at half can lead us to the top 4?

- im dissapointed that Possm has already sacked Kasiano, after many months of having him in his starting team... ;)

giboz71

First Grade
Mann
Nighty
Dugan
Lafai
Peter M/KFFL/Milne (decide after trials)
Widdop
Benji
JDB
Thompson
Frizzell
Ah Mau
Rein
Packer

Cooper
Creagh
Masoe
Havili

In case of Injury:

Aitken
Lui
Matthews
McCarthy
Ikahifo

boardlumps62

Juniors
Just love the teams thrown up fullback is up for grabs if Duges moves to centre and other centre and wingers starting all depend on form hopefully in trials. Jason Nightingale looks to have a wing spot but if his performances in trials are similar to what he served up last season i. leaving his wing in defence im sorry but look for another option.

giboz71

First Grade
Just love the teams thrown up fullback is up for grabs if Duges moves to centre and other centre and wingers starting all depend on form hopefully in trials. Jason Nightingale looks to have a wing spot but if his performances in trials are similar to what he served up last season i. leaving his wing in defence im sorry but look for another option.

Agreed, but pretty sure Nighty will bounce back.

If he doesn't, we have options - KFFL, Milne, Glymin and Peter M. Aitken or Quinlan in a pinch can play wing too. All look to be capable.

At least we have some speed now. Hopefully there won't be a repeat of this year where we have Nathan Green types watching opposing wings whoosh past them.

SBD82

Coach
Anyone think Mary will try starting the game with a big pack? So packer, masoe at prop with jdb at lock. Could be an option for the softening up period then bring on cooper creagh and ah Mau to wreak havoc when the game speeds up a bit.

Old Timer

Coach
Anyone think Mary will try starting the game with a big pack? So packer, masoe at prop with jdb at lock. Could be an option for the softening up period then bring on cooper creagh and ah Mau to wreak havoc when the game speeds up a bit.

It will be interesting to see what Mary does with the forwards.

Masoe, Packer, McCarthy have no NRL form or fitness and I can't see the trials will provide too much for them in that respect.

I think it would take them some time to get their bodies accustomed to the constant physical requirements contact of the NRL.

Packer and Masoe are both big units so in the early rounds I suspect he will not have both on the paddock at the one time.

I suspect Mc Carthy will serve some lengthy apprenticeship in the Cutters for playing all 3 at the one time would be asking a big question of the other 14 players.

Latest posts