What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Manly Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
they didn't show any drops in the highlights videos, he looks pretty weak in defence though !

Yeah, I doubt they'd be in the highlights. They were just moments in the game really, and honestly I wouldn't recommend watching those games, they were pretty ugly for the most part.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Yeah, I doubt they'd be in the highlights. They were just moments in the game really, and honestly I wouldn't recommend watching those games, they were pretty ugly for the most part.

I am trying to remember exact moments but round 3-5 2010 seem right. I honestly remember Norman standing in bewilderment at fullback as a bomb was coming his way and he lets it bounce which is unforgivable. I've reviewed the highlights of the games and nothing. The Warriors game was particularly hard to watch. We got our balls served to us that day.

ggmu

Juniors
You would have to this this lineup was Hooks plan all along just playing his cards close to his chest in the trials. So I can assume Norman has been training at fullback for a good part of the offseason. Hopefully working hard on things like positioning, backing up ball carriers and the high ball. I guess time will tell how successfully it will be. I for one am happy with the lineup( for now)

blaza88z

Coach
the obvious problem with that side is Norman at fullback but let's be honest, we were dominating teams at various stages last season and didn't have the creative players on the park to score the points

sure Norman is certainly no superstar play maker but he's going to create more then Hoffman would have, Hoffman is a solid fullback who won't drop bombs and will make solid hitups but he's not going to throw the final pass or put in the final grubber kick for a try, I would like to think Norman will add this quality to the line up more so then Hoffman would have

I think it's a good sign of intent from Griffin, it may be a massive failure but at least he knows what we need to do better this year

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Still would've preferred to see Hodgeo get a crack but considering his great form in pre-season in the centre, I'm not as fussed as I thought i'd be.

Norman better be ready though, i'm likely to tear my own hair out at one dropped ball.

Big Pete

Referee
Sea Eagles: 1. Brett Stewart 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Jamie Lyon 4. Steve Matai 5. David Williams 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Brenton Lawrence 9. Matt Ballin 10. Brent Kite 11. Anthony Watmough 12. Justin Horo 13. Jamie Buhrer
Interchange: 14. Richie Fa'aoso 15. Joe Galuvao 16. David Gower 17. Jesse Sene-Lefao 19. Peta Hiku 22. George Rose

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=23530

Interesting line-up.

Their backline looks amazing. Speed, skill, creativity they have it all. But then you get to their forward pack and while it isn't terrible, there are question marks all over the place. Take Brenton Lawrence & Justin Horo for instance. Both showed potential at their previous clubs but neither really excelled when it came to first grade. It seems like the pack is going to rely heavily on Watmough showing them the way.

In a way they're like the opposite of the Broncos, in that we have a questionable backline but a strong forward pack. It's going to be interesting how it pans out come Friday night.

Kiwi

First Grade
Sea Eagles: 1. Brett Stewart 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Jamie Lyon 4. Steve Matai 5. David Williams 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Brenton Lawrence 9. Matt Ballin 10. Brent Kite 11. Anthony Watmough 12. Justin Horo 13. Jamie Buhrer
Interchange: 14. Richie Fa'aoso 15. Joe Galuvao 16. David Gower 17. Jesse Sene-Lefao 19. Peta Hiku 22. George Rose

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=23530

Interesting line-up.

Their backline looks amazing. Speed, skill, creativity they have it all. But then you get to their forward pack and while it isn't terrible, there are question marks all over the place. Take Brenton Lawrence & Justin Horo for instance. Both showed potential at their previous clubs but neither really excelled when it came to first grade. It seems like the pack is going to rely heavily on Watmough showing them the way.

In a way they're like the opposite of the Broncos, in that we have a questionable backline but a strong forward pack. It's going to be interesting how it pans out come Friday night.

Our forward pack should belt the living shit out of that one, easily.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Have a look at the difference between the two "spines"... :(. Their forward just needs to do a semi-reasonable job and we could be in trouble.

Hope that we win, obviously, but don't fully understand why we are favourites.

It goes without saying that we need a bunch of guys to stand up this year. I'm looking at you McCullough, Norman, Reed, Hoffman, Gillett. These guys have had enough games now, it's time to peak. I don't expect any more out of Wallace as I don't think he can get any better. We really need Thaiday to return to his destructive best as well.

Pig Mouth

Juniors
Did everyone see the authority Matai slammed that ball down with when he scored the last try. Thissignifies the end of our season.

user_nat

Coach
Good thing they spent the off season working on how to best replicate the second half of 2012.

They did a good job.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Well. At least we were at our creative best. Give it to hodges our only hope. Ah bugger it. As for voting. Hodges 6 points.

whykickamoocow

Juniors
Tonight was classic Wallace and proves all his haters right. He's a good front runner but as soon as we're behind on the score board he starts to rush his plays and becomes a liability

whykickamoocow

Juniors
Well. At least we were at our creative best. Give it to hodges our only hope. Ah bugger it. As for voting. Hodges 6 points.

Hodges 3
Macca 2
Glenn 1
Reed -3
Wallace -2

I wonder if Hook will bring out the old when we get our defence right our attack come good line in the presso I was optimistic coming into the season but after watching that 2nd half I get the feeling its gonna be a long year. Definitely not blaming refs for loss but how did they come up with a no try when Macca scored.