What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Manly Discussion + Voting

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hofman- FULLBACK
Norman- 5/8
Prince- Halfback

Wallace- BENCH UTILITY

Disgraceful performance and to think we could only score 14 with all that ball made me wonder...WTF were they doing all off season!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
First half gave me a glimmer of hope for the season.

Second half showed that we haven't improved from back-end of 2012.

4. Hodges
1. Glenn
1. Hoffman

I thought Hoffman looked ok in the centres in attack. Although I still feel like Norman is too slow for fullback.

It might be time soon for Reed to step aside and give someone else a chance.

Big Pete

Referee
3. McCullough
2. McGuire
1. Hodges

Hodges would receive higher honours but his defence was woeful.

Deflating is the word of the day really. Really thought the boys did well to guts it out in the first half and thought we were about to roll all over them until Reed was denied right on half-time. Thought Manly would have their sniff, and that's all they need to play to their ability. They're a good side Manly and their experienced structures just proved too good for us. We just have too many new combinations and it just didn't click.

I don't really see the 2012 comparisons at all other than we sucked. 2012, we played very direct but only seemed to play for meterage and percentage plays. Tonight, we tried spreading it sideline to sideline too much and it made the Sea Eagles job way too easy.

user_nat

Coach
To me the 2012 comparison is mostly the half time collapse and Wallace's headless chicken trying to hard thing. Also the lack of ability to construct a play.

Can we really not do better than Dodds and Stagg on the bench?

Last edited:

Country Bronco

Juniors
Hofman- FULLBACK
Norman- 5/8
Prince- Halfback

Wallace- BENCH UTILITY

Disgraceful performance and to think we could only score 14 with all that ball made me wonder...WTF were they doing all off season!

This should work. Wallace bench utility for redcliffe dolphins.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Second half was very back-end 2012 imo. We looked completely lost in attack, no cohesion, passes not hitting the mark, generally not knowing what's going on and the defence was very very soft, all over the park. How many times did Manly complete basically 100m sets?

lockyno1

Post Whore
This should work. Wallace bench utility for redcliffe dolphins.

Would offer more off the bench than Hunt. Every time we bring Hunt on he stuffs it up, he either is picked in the halves or he shouldn't be there. Wallace can play 9, 7, 6, and 13. To me that is a utility. At a pinch he could easily cover centre too.

Boy

Juniors
From someone who was really happy with the selection of this team

That was disgraceful
Off the pies
On the exercise bikes

And for god sake spend some practice on attack
Relying on hodges to much
Not even locky wanted to anything good about them

Nerd

Bench
Hofman- FULLBACK
Norman- 5/8
Prince- Halfback

Wallace- BENCH UTILITY

I thought Norman went ok at fullback and Hoffman looked much sharper on the wing.

Norman - Fullback
Hunt - 5/8
Prince - Halfback
Wallace - Bench utility

Sorry Wallace but drifting across field without taking on the defence and passing to a close runner who normally gets smashed is becoming a tad predictable.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I thought Norman went ok at fullback and Hoffman looked much sharper on the wing.

Norman - Fullback
Hunt - 5/8
Prince - Halfback
Wallace - Bench utility

Sorry Wallace but drifting across field without taking on the defence and passing to a close runner who normally gets smashed is becoming a tad predictable.

Without Reed and Wallace, Hunt was the next WORST...tell me what he adds to the side...anything. I am over him at the moment, and he gives the team NOTHING...he is not a 5/8th, Nornman is. Surely we have a fullback in the U20's or in Reserve Grade that can do Norman's job.

Dazzat

First Grade
For all the Wallace haters: Did you happen to notice that Prince got owned in defence tonight. Take out the defensive lapses of Prince and we might have well won tonight.

We need to swiftly correct our right side defence. Maranta got shown up - he should have been screaming blue murder on the right side for Hodges and Prince to come across, but didn't. Consequently - a TWO man overlap on TWO occasions.

And where was Norman in attack tonight. Absolutely missing. We need some experience eon the wing - Denan Kemp - and Hoffman back to fullback.

lockyno1

Post Whore
And for god sake spend some practice on attack

That is what you get when you appoint a defensive oriented coach. Please tell me why on earth we didn't move heaven and earth to get Michael MacGuire or Daniel Anderson- both attacking oriented coaches.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
For all the Wallace haters: Did you happen to notice that Prince got owned in defence tonight. Take out the defensive lapses of Prince and we might have well won tonight.

No-one has ever questioned Wallace in defence. But you need more from your half-back then just the ability to tackle. At least Prince looked somewhat dangerous with ball in hand.

And to blame the loss on Prince's defence is a bit much (I'm not saying he has good defence, but it is certainly not the reason we lost the game). Most of the team was defensively poor, whether or not it be reading the plays or being dominate in the tackle, both were very bad.

lockyno1

Post Whore

And where was Norman in attack tonight. Absolutely missing. We need some experience eon the wing - Denan Kemp - and Hoffman back to fullback.

Without Prince we don't score a try...I'd rather give up a couple of tries every week if our halves create tries. Wallace put on a grand total of ZERO POINTS. This is our number 7...:lol:

Honestly to think we resigned this spud makes me pretty ill, considering better halves were on the market!

Jason Simmons

Juniors
No-one has ever questioned Wallace in defence. But you need more from your half-back then just the ability to tackle. At least Prince looked somewhat dangerous with ball in hand.

And to blame the loss on Prince's defence is a bit much (I'm not saying he has good defence, but it is certainly not the reason we lost the game). Most of the team was defensively poor, whether or not it be reading the plays or being dominate in the tackle, both were very bad.

Well it wasn't Prince's defence that was lacking when the "mighty" Daly Cherry-Evans brushed off 4 Broncos defenders down our left edge to score his try...

beads6

First Grade
If we can manage to play like we did int he first half for 80 mins we should do ok. Our attack was better. Not much to take out of the game though. If Hodges goes down we are screwed.

unbreaK

Juniors
I can't believe how f**king bad Wallace and Reed were tonight, Reed looks like he's put on about 10 KG's since his breakout season, he's slow, fat and bad. Wallace was his usual self, 50/50 poor kicks to decent kicks ratio, several dropped balls and bad passes.

If this game is anything to go by, I can't see us making the 8 this year.

AceAv

Juniors
Was shaping up o be a good game and positive start. We cant make errors like the one hodges did for Manlys 1st try. And every time manly made a break, it was when a bronco committed to a defender that had decoy written all over them. Seems we don't have the ability to stop even a half back when that happens.

We're definitely lacking strength. Didn't see much big runs from hanno or thaiday. McGuire was good at least...

Realistically if we scored one of those 2 tries and held off manly from one of theirs (Reed). The game should have been ours. We got into a position to come back and the refs rule caught in goal!!? That kind of sht just forces us to play panic footy...

I think hodges deserves a 6. I wish he passed a little more, but u can tell that's when he makes mistakes. Gillette needs to get better with his handling. Wallace I agree should be utility... Prince needed to try more inside balls. So many missed opportunities! Norman was safe, but lacked any flare in attack.. Hoffman I didn't even notice trying to get involved. Maranta looks good, but he really cost us that mattai try. Reed worries me, he needs some more speed and evasion like he used to have. I hope he's still good at catching Wallace bombs, cos I haven't seen it lately.

All in all a 50% satisfaction to the start of the season, vs a team with the best halves in the game, incredible centre combos, decent fowards and an origin fullback. Not going to dream and say we're better than that or ever will be this year. Really need to see the "investments" in the jr broncs that have now come of age in this side step up this year. Or it's time to demand we drop them and purchase some big names.

beads6

First Grade
What was clear to see was how much of a liability Prince will be in defence. I can live with it if he is setting up plenty of tries.