What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Manly Discussion + Voting

whykickamoocow

Juniors
1. Norman
2. Kemp
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Maranta
6. Prince
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Gillet
13. Parker
14. Stagg
15. Thaiday
16. Gibb
17. J.Wallace

P.Wallace had years to develop under Lockyer and he's ordinary at best. Time to give Hunt a decent run, let him develop playing alongside Prince. Give Wallace back to the Panthers. More then enough diversity in this side to cover any injuries on the day.

DoggiesBroke

Juniors
I'd like to think Manly will win this comfortably enough but Brisbane always have something up their sleeve and usually start each season strongly.

Still filthy that Foran gifted the Broncos a try after fulltime in the last clash. It's not everyday that you hold the Broncos scoreless.

Great first round match up. Can't wait.

Big Pete

Referee
Where does norman fit in your team?

I honestly think Norman offers way more then Hoffman at fullback.

Put Hoffman on the wing or qld cup.

Anyone else agree with me?

He doesn't, not unless he shows some really good form in QCup and comes in for either Wallace or Prince.

I've had the Norman vs. Hoffman discussion on BHQ as recently as yesterday. Basically what it boils down to me is that we've given Norman two shots at fullback and despite some early promise he always ends up getting exposed. Maybe I'd be more open to the idea if he had have spent an entire off-season working on the fundamentals of fullback play but from my understanding he's really been working on his game at five eigth.

You'll find your in the majority though. A lot of people weren't happy with Hoffman's 2012 season and feel like Norman's skills lend themselves to fullback. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised for Hook to pull a swifty and lean that way too but I'd like to see Josh receive a chance to prove himself and win back the fans. Something like a 5 game probationary period where if he f**ks up, he's shifted to the wing or centres for the rest of the year. If not and he really busts his backside then he'll receive the same support as everyone else.

That was a frustraing ol' game DB. Manly should have put a score on us that night but they packed it in after half time and Brisbane had absolutely nothing to throw at them. Was just plain sad. Really looking forward to the game and I hope we show the rest of the competition how it's done - like we did in R10. With respect, hopefully this time the result is different. :p

Last edited:

whykickamoocow

Juniors
Hoffman defensively is the better option but Norman is the better option offensively. Play breaks down to much with Hoffman because he's a ball runner. He doesn't pass or kick and this day an age fulbacks need those skills if you want to be a top 4 side. Personally I think Hoffman would be more suited to centre then fullback.

DoggiesBroke

Juniors
BP, round 10 last year was just mind-numbing. We scored some flashy tries (probably some of our best from the entire season) and managed to hang in there when shit hit the fan but after giving up a strong early lead we never looked like we were going to win. It was remarkable how physically dominant Brisbane were in that match. Very fortunate that Corey Parker wasn't wearing glasses that night either.

Statistically this match is significant for the Eagles. It is the first time since the Broncos debut match in 1988 that Manly can go ahead in the head to head count between the two sides. Only the Storm boast a better head to head record against the Broncos so they are in a very special league of their own.

Chainshada

Juniors
Hoffman defensively is the better option but Norman is the better option offensively. Play breaks down to much with Hoffman because he's a ball runner. He doesn't pass or kick and this day an age fulbacks need those skills if you want to be a top 4 side. Personally I think Hoffman would be more suited to centre then fullback.

Read last week that Hoffman missed 37% of his tackles in 2012. Not someone I'd want in our centres, especially with the Wing options we have this year.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Haven't had time to read every post so don't know if it has been mentioned but Kemp played for Redcliffe on the weekend so not sure he'll be starting come round 1.

some11

Referee
Haven't had time to read every post so don't know if it has been mentioned but Kemp played for Redcliffe on the weekend so not sure he'll be starting come round 1.

He hasn't played a game of NRL since April 2010, probably just getting some solid match fitness.

Parrapower

Juniors
I can't believe all of you broncos supporters are still gunning for Hoffman or Norman as fullback. You only have one decent option and thats Hodges.

You clowns will never learn if you have Hoffman or Norman at FB

beads6

First Grade
Official team

1. Norman
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Maranta
6. Prince
7. Wallace
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Thaiday
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Hunt
15. Dodds
16. Hannant
17. Stagg

18. Anderson

broncos2010

Juniors
Excellent :cool:

Norman at full back and hoffman at wing makes our team look so much stronger in attack at least.

The bench looks very average but.

DeeJ

Bench
Thank god Hoffman is on the wing although I would prefer him out of the side entirely. He was bad on the wing last year, I remember in a game he directly gave up two tries.

Also interesting that Hannant is on the bench, but I guess its too embarrassing for Thaiday to have a Gidley captain on the bench scenario.

Latest posts