What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Penrith Panthers Discussion + Voting

Smiley

Bench
Sunday 16 March - 1.00pm Kickoff (QLD time) at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane.

Brisbane Broncos

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Reece Robinson
3. Steve Michaels
4. Justin Hodges
5. Darius Boyd
6. Darren Lockyer (C)
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Michael Ennis
10. Joel Clinton
11. Corey Parker
12. Ashton Sims
13. Tonie Carroll

INTERCHANGE:
14. PJ Marsh
15. Sam Thaiday
16. Greg Eastwood
17. David Stagg
18. Nick Kenny

Smiley

Bench
Penrith Panthers

1. Rhys Wesser
2. Luke Rooney
3. Brad Tighe
4. Maurice Blair
5. Michael Jennings
6. Jarrod Sammut
7. Joe Williams
8. Adam Woolnough
9. Luke Priddis
10. Petero Civoniceva (C)
11. Trent Waterhouse
12. Tony Puletua
13. Nathan Smith

INTERCHANGE:
14. Paul Aiton
15. Frank Pritchard
16. Brendan Worth
17. Frank Puletua
18. Matthew Bell

Big Pete

Referee
First official thread for the season and it's about time too. :) I've been dying for footy action and I can't wait for this season to unfold.

Looking at both teams on paper you'd have to say the Broncos are poised to win quite convincingly however I have my doubts. My big concern with the Broncos is their ability to gel come game time? There are five fresh faces in the team and they'll be nervous as hell come game time. Another aspect as to why I'm worried is the fitness of one Darren Lockyer. Lockyer has only had 4 weeks of intense training so it'll be a miracle to see a good game out of him come game time. This is in no way questioning his ability never-the-less I remain concerned.

When it comes down to it however I just can't wait to be out there come game day and bask in the atmosphere for the first game.

To any Penrith Panthers supporters, good luck and you're welcomed to post in this thread. Best of luck and may the better team win!

murraymob

Coach
should be a cracker of a game.Penrith have a backline of not well known names but rest assured there is plenty of tries in them.Sammut at 5/8 brillinant selection form player for the panthers through the trials I hope the broncos think they will win well.Will be a close game

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Cant wait to travel north of the border for the game!

Good luck to all you Broncos fans (except Locky)

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i was wondeirng about taylor too, but i think i read somewhere he turned up to pre season training weighing a ton so maybe he's being punished or hasnt lost his baby fat yet.

on paper we should win and the new players are all experienced with the exception of robinson. surprised ennis is starting given he played no preseason games afaik. is thhis game televised in sydney on FTA?

broncoman

Juniors
I like the look of our size, big forward pack to start the match and then Eastwood and Stagg to come on and play a lot of minutes allowing the rest of the forwards to rotate. I think we'll see Marsh start in front of Ennis despite whats been picked...

Big Pete

Referee
That's horrible, seriously Elliots bias towards some of his "men" is mind boggling.

Hopefully the Perry handicap even things up a bit but even then, good luck.

salivor

First Grade
Oh god, I thought this would be the year we'd be rid of Perry. I personally would've liked to see someone with a bit more utility value come on to the bench to replace Ennis but I guess with Lockyer not being 100% you can't risk not taking in cover for him.

Can't wait for this one, it's been a long off-season. Can't wait to see how Robinson goes and to see the likes of Wallace, Clinton and Marsh in Broncos jerseys.

Caged Panther

First Grade
griffo346 said:
Pete

Elliott toying with the option of starting Nate Smith at 5/8 and Saummet to lock

Sammut at lock is elliott on smack? I'd heard he was thinking of putting smith at 5/8 and benching sammut with Pritchard coming in but at Sammut at lock?:lol:

renouf

Juniors
salivor said:
Oh god, I thought this would be the year we'd be rid of Perry.

He has been training with the first grade squad, so he was always going to get a run at some stage.

Big Pete

Referee
Dazraider said:
is dave taylor injured?

Just on Taylor he helped the struggling Central Comets side to a 28-18 victory over Norths, our primary feeder team by scoring two tries.

Mind you I'm extremely supportive of Bennetts decision to keep Taylor grounded and it's nice to see Wayne learning from past mistakes (Carlaw, Meyers and Webb). Hopefully this should help iron out any complacency in Taylors game.