What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Penrith Panthers Discussion + Voting

beads6

First Grade
Spewing that Clinton is out for about 6 weeks with an injury. Our depth could be tested early.

mxlegend99

Referee
Congratulations guys.

Although Panthers were terrible and the Broncos didn't have to work for it, you guys played very well. Looking like a potential top 4 team IMO. Lockyer had a very good game considering how long he has been out.

Munky

Coach
Wallace feeding bullet passes to Lockyer is going to have me crying all season...

Big Pete

Referee
Thanks for all the support Panthers supporters but chins up aye. You guys can only improve from here. All the best!

2. Ashton Sims
2. Corey Parker
1. Peter Wallace
1. Darius Boyd

Great start for us and isn't it refreshing to see us win the first round? Great team effort and for the first time in a long time I have confidence in our halves combination. There is still a lot of improvement in our game however with that being said I hope we can retain the same confidence in which we played with today.

salivor

First Grade
3 - Sims
2 - Lockyer
0.5 - Wallace
0.5 - Boyd

Wow just wow, the Panthers were terrible but it's really refreshing to watch a Broncos side playing with so much lateral movement and offloading at will not to mention a decent halfback providing us options on both sides of the ruck. There's probably still some concerns over the forward pack and fitness when we come up against some quality opposition but we're not going to be short of points this year.

On the new boys:
Sims played like a man possessed at times.
Wallace added a whole new dimension to our attack and looked great running the show early on and then just as good in combination with Lockyer.
Marsh is going to be competing with Wallace for buy of our season, can't wait until Ennis is back in the side and we put together just about the best hooker rotation in the comp.
Just disappointing on Clinton, a grade 2 knee ligament injury sounds like serious time on the sideline.

And finally, while we talk about buys of the season, will Joey Williams be the worst buy of the season? I can't believe the Panthers offered this bloke a lifeline, he should've had the life support pulled.

ethos

Live Update Team
Everyone contributed to that win, it was a great team effort. Can I divide the 6 points by 17? :D

3 = Lockyer
2 = Sims
1 = Hannant

Hunt was talking constantly all game, kept our defence tight.

Smiley

Bench
2 - Sam Thaiday
2 - Corey Parker
2 - Darius Boyd

For me there wasn't a standout player, more a well collaborated team effort. Excellent win but it was against the 2007 wooden spooners, next week against the Roosters will be a better guide to tell if we can compete with the likes of Melbourne.

On a side note did anyone see the Toyota Cup? A few good players; Michael Spence and Brendon Gibbs impressed me with some HUGE shots and hitting the line hard. Ben Hunt looks the good, ran the show well, put players into holes and made some big tackles. I can see it being the Hunt show after Lockyer retires with K Hunt and B Hunt in the halves, thats if Wallace isn't the goods. Glenn, Tupou and Watene were disappointing considering the wraps on them.

miccle

Bench
As always, the good sportsmanship of the Penny fans shine through - truly some of the better supporters in the league IMHO.

For what it's worth:

3 - Boyd (who will henceforth be known as Nostradarius... what a visionary! :lol:)
2 - Sims (f**k he impressed me today)
1 - Wallace (Stellar performance, a perfect fit in our team!)

Plenty of other good performances too. Locky was particularly good after his long injury, Robinson I thought was very comfortable on debut, Hunt solid as always and Hannant just keeps going!

It's only round one, though, and Penrith were well of their game today. Let's hope we can back it up against the Roosters.

salivor

First Grade
Smiley said:
On a side note did anyone see the Toyota Cup? A few good players; Michael Spence and Brendon Gibbs impressed me with some HUGE shots and hitting the line hard. Ben Hunt looks the good, ran the show well, put players into holes and made some big tackles. I can see it being the Hunt show after Lockyer retires with K Hunt and B Hunt in the halves, thats if Wallace isn't the goods. Glenn, Tupou and Watene were disappointing considering the wraps on them.

Hunt looked really promising but I think you're missing a mention there. Beale while he had and up and down game, you can see why he's been getting a run in the trial and a bit of hype. I see he's listed as a utility but he handled 5/8 pretty well, with another couple of years under his belt and some first grade experience he'd be a candidate to fill Lockyer's role when he leaves the club. It's good to see some talent coming through in the halves.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
great to see benny finally changing an outdated gameplan (i dont care if we won in 06 it was still an outdated gameplan)

i love seeing forwards offload and playing before the line

Wallace looked great especially when he called the shots, hopefully as he settles in to playing with lockyer on the field he'll take more control and allow lockyer to chime in when he wants

3. Wallace
2. Sims
1. Thaiday

beads6

First Grade
3. Boyd

Lets just hope he continues to improve and play like we all know he can.

2. SIms

Big strong and uses what he was born with well.

1. Lockyer

Really should have struggled but he stood up and showed everyone how good he is.

Latest posts