What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 Sunday 13th May v Dragons @ ANZ Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yea boys!! I'm so friggin happy right now!! We have just beaten the benchmark of the comp with a fantastic, gritty win, gee that feels good. Only the second team to do so this year, gee wiz I'm so pumped!!

In attack, I thought it was really good considering the conditions. We started really fast and had the Dragons on the back foot for the whole game in greasy conditions which wouldn't of been easy at all, especially not against a quality side like St George Illawarra. We scored some fantastic tries too and looked quite slick in attack. One thing I did like too is that we didn't go into our shell after taking the early lead like last week. Yes, it was a long time until our third try but we were still throwing the ball around with freeedom trying to attack rather than just the one out stuff. This was good to see. The energy was up all game, even with all the defence we had to do and the boys remained up the whole game. One thing I will say is that although it was pretty good, we still need to be a bit more clinical. We would've scored many more tries if a few passes at the death went to hand, that could be indicitive of the conditions though. I was also a little disappointed how we turned the ball over so cheaply at times, thankfully, we were good enough to hold on.

Defence was the best part of this game though. Just like Round 5, we turned them away time and time again in what was a fantastic defensive showing and I mean fantastic! They are the best attacking side in the comp and we just frustrated them on the edges, they just couldn't score. We applied pressure and forced them into making mistakes. The belief never wavered and man, it was good to watch our boys dig in like this. The two tries to Frizell were a little soft but by then the game was already gone. A big improvement on the defence today and let's hope we can keep it up.

Johnston: Was good. Wasn't as involved as last week but tbh, he didn't really need to be. He just chimed in at the right times and when he did have the ball, he was dangerous. His kick returns are getting stronger and stronger too. One other thing I noticed was that he was doing a lot of defensive organisation on our line, barking orders on where everyone should be. I know this is a fullback's role but imo, it's been an area that AJ has been lacking in but he seems to have improved big time.

Graham: Awesome performance. He looked so comfortable the whole game under the high ball and in defence and he came up with some great plays in both these areas. A very strong running game and was rewarded with a try through determination. I like this kid.

Inglis: One of his quieter games but still did a great job. Like AJ, he just chimed in when needed and did his job to perfection. Had a strong running game and I thought he outplayed Dufty today. Also, how fitting that he scores in Indigenous Round? That was a great moment.

Gagai: A great game from Gags. He just kept coming all day with his strong runs and gee, he had a really high involvement which is great to see. What's more, he was able to generate quick play-the-balls which got our sets off to a nice start. In defence, he still came up with a few poor misses but then again, had some great moments to shut down the likes of Dufty and Lafai. I think it was a much improved defensive game from Gagai, he seems to be getting better every week.

Hunt: He wasn't bad but tbh, I wasn't relly impressed. He did do a lot of work which is great but got pushed back a fair bit on a lot of runs. Thankfully, it didn't cost us but he coughed up the ball on the first tackle and one point and that is not acceptable in the NRL. A finished a nice try though and like I say, he wasn't bad, I just wasn't really impressed.

Walker: A typical game from him. Just always lurking around and created so many chances for his outside men through his running game. He was a real live wire for much of the match and asked questions every time he touched the ball like always. I was a little disappointed that he wasn't able to finish off a few set plays with his final pass going behind Hunt a few times but it was otherwise a great performance.

Reynolds: Outstanding. A nice game from him today. For the most part, an on point kicking game which pressured the back three and off the back of a good chase, we were able to trap the Dragons in their own 20 meter zone many times. I loved seeing him take on the line too, this is really great to see as it makes him a lot less one dimensional. Reyno is growing in confidence and it's really starting to show.

T.Burgess: Was good. Obviously wasn't his most explosive game but he did his job brilliantly and that's all you can ask. Punched out a couple of great stints and provided a great platform with his hard running and high work rate.

Cook: Like Tom, not his most electric game but he was still fantastic and played all over McInnes today. He picked the time to run beautifully and still troubled the defence a lot, almost broke through a few times. His service from dummy half was on point and as always, got through plenty of tackles.

G.Burgess: See comments for Tom as I feel George had a similar game. One thing I will add is that George was great in defence. I can recall a couple of times where they'd make a half break and almost be through but George came in shut it down which was great to see.

Sutton: Was great. Did his job with strong runs that always got their defence on the back foot. I love how he's starting to come back on an angle a few times and it just created that uncertainty for the Dragons. Gee I'm loving Sutto this year.

Crichton: What a performance, probably our best today. Friggin great runs off Reyno, changing the angle and he almost cut through many times. Was so busy too, I think he finished up with around 200 meters which is just awesome. In defence he looked better too as him and Reyno seemed to communicate a bit better. And then that try! that was barnstorming, what an effort from Gussy today!

S.Burgess: Man, it's great to have him back and he was his usual self. Provided so, so much. Fantastic, aggressive runs and he out-muscled the Dragons pack. What's more, his late footwork really troubled them and it added a new element to his game. Loved havig him back.

Doueihi: Didn't get on so not much to say.

Murray: Excellent in the role that he played. Came on provided an impact as he went looking for action and looked really hungry. Hope to see him return to the starting side next week.

Clark: Is becoming a great impact off the bench and this game was no different, he's all energy when he comes on. Runs hard and makes his mark on the game. I loved the recption from the crowd he got when he came on too!

Tatola: Great impact. I just love how almost every run he has is at full tit and that was no different today, a nice game. Junior seems to love ball playing too which is awesome.

Our forwards won us the game today as they got the upper hand over one of the best packs in the comp. Additionally, I think they all made over twenty tackles which is just fantastic.

Overall, what a performance. We've beat the competition leaders and man, that'll give us some confidence. I'm so friggin happy!
I'd just like to add I'd have liked AJ to be a bit more involved in our attack today. He didn't run as much as I'd have liked.
Campbell is a special kid. He made a trysaver too and rushed in at a crucial moment.
Gagai bro I could see clearly in front of me and at times he just fell back and didn't initiate contact in the tackle like he was hesitant and you can't give the opposition time like that. Campbell saved his bacon once and AR saved Gagai' bacon a couple of times! Yes Gagai was better defensively but still needs to get better.
GI was a bit quieter but still good.
Hunt yeah can't make those errors he does and it's the thing in his game he need to get out. I think you are a bit harsh bro as Inthought he had good leg drive. He did make 19 for 177m bro so that's heaps of shitwork and the most metres he's ever ran in a game for us. Did the job under the high ball too whilst looking a bit awkward!
Cody I agree with you on.
AR I'd just like to add his defence was magnificent. He was so good bro. Reallly put his body on the line today and it was his best effort and performance of the year in all facets.... I have always believed in AR and he's a champ. You cat keep guys like this down too long..... some were being too harsh on him. He really took the line on today too and had a good kicking game. He'd just make it into my three best players from us today.
Agree with the rest you say.

Also surely Cookie gets the no.9 for the Blues! The past 5-6 times he has played McInnes he's outplayed him every time. If he doesn't get the 9 I'm done with the Blues. Sick of them being so bias against picking any of our players. Mctortoise is good for about 5-6 forward passes a game too that he gets away with plus good for giving silly penalties away like today and sometimes pausing not knowing what to do. Everything looks so much quicker with Cookie over Cam. In fact at the game I was yelling out Cookie for origin hooker and if not I'm done with the Blues and not one person could argue with me on that around me.......... they've had a gutful as well of the Blues hierarchy...

Rabbits20

Immortal
Angus is one and Reyno is unlikely but could be a rank outsider.
So we will only be without our origin guys for one of the origin games as the second one is a stand alone and we have a bye before the third one.

So we will have Cronulla in Round 13 without GI, Gagai and Cook. I don't think AR or Crichton will get picked!

For Cronulla I guess they'd be without Dugan if he's fit. Plus Fifita. I think that's it though as Gallen is retired from rep footy! Moylan won't get picked I don't think!

So we'd be up against a strong Sharks outfit. I have a feeling Holmes may miss out on origin too and he hasn't been in good form most of the season. I think they'll go with Boyd and Gagai on the wings!

So I would have Cronulla as favs against us for sure.

Our team may look like this:

AJ
Kennar
Hunt
Jennings (should be back in about 3 weeks I'd say)
Graham
Cody
AR
Tom
Farah
George
Sutton
Crichton
Sam

Douiehi
Murray
Clark
Tatola

Nicholls
Burns
Turner
Fuimaono (probably be back around this time and will have a couple of matches at Norths no doubt)

I dunno how many points there is in that backline without GI plus having no explosiveness minus Cookie.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Just dropped to give my congratulations to the Bunnies. Better team on the day. So enjoy the result
Cheers mate. I just went into your forum to read. Some of em turning a blind eye to Cookie altogether. I think last 5-6 times we played you lads he outplayed McInnes. Not to say McInnes was bad though.

Also some of em blaming the refs in your forum!

Cheers for coming in bro!

1-1 I guess.

We may meet again mate.

Not sure if my heart can handle it though hahahaha!

At 14-4 tbh I was shitting myself.....

I still believe you lads are the benchmark. So consistent. Geez Dufty is bloody fast and Frizell fast too and just a beast!

Travitoh

First Grade
So we will only be without our origin guys for one of the origin games as the second one is a stand alone and we have a bye before the third one.

So we will have Cronulla in Round 13 without GI, Gagai and Cook. I don't think AR or Crichton will get picked!

For Cronulla I guess they'd be without Dugan if he's fit. Plus Fifita. I think that's it though as Gallen is retired from rep footy! Moylan won't get picked I don't think!

So we'd be up against a strong Sharks outfit. I have a feeling Holmes may miss out on origin too and he hasn't been in good form most of the season. I think they'll go with Boyd and Gagai on the wings!

So I would have Cronulla as favs against us for sure.

Our team may look like this:

AJ
Kennar
Hunt
Jennings (should be back in about 3 weeks I'd say)
Graham
Cody
AR
Tom
Farah
George
Sutton
Crichton
Sam

Douiehi
Murray
Clark
Tatola

Nicholls
Burns
Turner
Fuimaono (probably be back around this time and will have a couple of matches at Norths no doubt)

I dunno how many points there is in that backline without GI plus having no explosiveness minus Cookie.

Fifita is no longer eligible for NSW selection.

doyen

Bench
I'd just like to add I'd have liked AJ to be a bit more involved in our attack today. He didn't run as much as I'd have liked.
Campbell is a special kid. He made a trysaver too and rushed in at a crucial moment.
Gagai bro I could see clearly in front of me and at times he just fell back and didn't initiate contact in the tackle like he was hesitant and you can't give the opposition time like that. Campbell saved his bacon once and AR saved Gagai' bacon a couple of times! Yes Gagai was better defensively but still needs to get better.
GI was a bit quieter but still good.
Hunt yeah can't make those errors he does and it's the thing in his game he need to get out. I think you are a bit harsh bro as Inthought he had good leg drive. He did make 19 for 177m bro so that's heaps of shitwork and the most metres he's ever ran in a game for us. Did the job under the high ball too whilst looking a bit awkward!
Cody I agree with you on.
AR I'd just like to add his defence was magnificent. He was so good bro. Reallly put his body on the line today and it was his best effort and performance of the year in all facets.... I have always believed in AR and he's a champ. You cat keep guys like this down too long..... some were being too harsh on him. He really took the line on today too and had a good kicking game. He'd just make it into my three best players from us today.
Agree with the rest you say.

Also surely Cookie gets the no.9 for the Blues! The past 5-6 times he has played McInnes he's outplayed him every time. If he doesn't get the 9 I'm done with the Blues. Sick of them being so bias against picking any of our players. Mctortoise is good for about 5-6 forward passes a game too that he gets away with plus good for giving silly penalties away like today and sometimes pausing not knowing what to do. Everything looks so much quicker with Cookie over Cam. In fact at the game I was yelling out Cookie for origin hooker and if not I'm done with the Blues and not one person could argue with me on that around me.......... they've had a gutful as well of the Blues hierarchy...

I'd say McINNES will get the No.9 & Cook No.14.
They are both in good form.
I think they'd only want a broken-field running hooker like Cook as a replacement to take advantage of tiring opposition forwards!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'd say McINNES will get the No.9 & Cook No.14.
They are both in good form.
I think they'd only want a broken-field running hooker like Cook as a replacement to take advantage of tiring opposition forwards!!
Well I completely disagree with it!!

Clifferd

Coach

Just like to add that the last time NSW were dominant we played with 2 dummy halves, Buderus and Wing. So yes, I think going with McInnes to start and Cook on the bench darting out from quick PTB around tired QLD forwards would be a smart selection

It wasn’t long ago it was questioned if Cook could handle 80 mins in NRL, but Origin is a much much faster paced game. I think having 2 hookers isn’t a bad idea, and McInnes and Cook being the most inform are the obvious choices

Bench
I think Cook should get the hooking role. He tore us up in the first game and I posted that we needed to nullify him in yesterday’s game. We did not do that.

doyen

Bench

COOK'S development this year under Seibs has amazed me. It certainly emphasises the crap deal he,& other players, got under MAGUIRE!
He deserves rewarding but I'm not convinced he will be suitable for SOO---he tends to run amok--if he is selected it should be on the bench.
Other No. 9s like McInnes or even Wallace should get the run-on role,IMO!!

CliveC

Juniors
COOK'S development this year under Seibs has amazed me. It certainly emphasises the crap deal he,& other players, got under MAGUIRE!
He deserves rewarding but I'm not convinced he will be suitable for SOO---he tends to run amok--if he is selected it should be on the bench.
Other No. 9s like McInnes or even Wallace should get the run-on role,IMO!!
I was appalled at Maguires putting him on the paddock with 5 minutes to go which he did often,we nearly lost Cooke because iof Maguire

callmack1

Staff member
Great result yesterday, Best thing is I think we still have a lot of improvement left in us.
And that's one of the most exciting things to think about. I think our attack is still yet to fully kick into gear. I just really hope we can keep this all going for the rest of the year.

callmack1

Staff member