What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Bulldogs

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Is Ramsey right to go? If so, I'd like to see him, Sailor or Matt Feagai given a go in place of JP.

The team seems to have a bit more confidence about it, and will be keen not to repeat the rot of one month ago. It's the perfect time to give Ramsey a shot, as he could also excel under the current rule tweaks.
I would say Saab will play unless he’s leaving in which case they may give Ramsey a run but I highly doubt it. You can just about lock in Saab, his second game was pretty reasonable I thought. We are patient with Rava need to be patient with Saab.

redv13

Bench
Jordy charged
2 weeks out with early plea had some carry over points.
Silly stuff really from JP. Not needed and now every little thing of his will be closely monitored throughout the rest of the season. Is Saab going to grab this opportunity this time??

qld redvee

Juniors
I would say Saab will play unless he’s leaving in which case they may give Ramsey a run but I highly doubt it. You can just about lock in Saab, his second game was pretty reasonable I thought. We are patient with Rava need to be patient with Saab.
Forbes
old supercoach has said in his presser that ' you have to persist with players" so this new found reversal of normal supercoach thought would seem loike Saab should get a wing spot so he can indeed learn the ropes of first grade and hopefully cement a position where his height and speed can be utilised by flanno and shep ...

Mark D

Juniors
They will probably go with Saab but for me I just don’t see what the big deal is . All his performances have been underwhelming. Seems more likely in basketball the footy... on another note I’m hoping saints take a look at Corey Harawira Naera skilled forward who would have fair bit to prove

Dragonsamy

Bench
Is Ramsey right to go? If so, I'd like to see him, Sailor or Matt Feagai given a go in place of JP.

The team seems to have a bit more confidence about it, and will be keen not to repeat the rot of one month ago. It's the perfect time to give Ramsey a shot, as he could also excel under the current rule tweaks.

Ramsey not ready.
I think it will be Saab

getsmarty

Immortal
r10_preview_4-dragons-v-bulldogs.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Bulldogs: Hunt, McInnes locked in; Averillo quarantined
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Mon 13 Jul 2020, 04:10 PM

St George Illawarra enter their WIN Stadium clash with Canterbury on a rising trajectory as they seek revenge on the Bulldogs for a round four thumping that capped a dismal 0-4 start to 2020.

Since that 22-2 Bankwest belting at the hands of their fellow strugglers, Canterbury's only win so far, the Dragons have turned their season around with three wins in five outings to sit just two points behind a three-way tie for eighth place.

In that time they have lost only to last season's grand finalists the Roosters (26-12) and the Raiders (22-16) and registered their most impressive win of the season on Sunday, an emphatic 34-4 thumping of Manly.

Canterbury, in contrast, reaped nothing from that round four clash beyond the two points. Things have gone from bad to worse during a five-game losing skid which plumbed new depths in an error-ridden performance on Saturday which allowed former partners-in-misery Brisbane to snap their own six-game run of futility.

Match: Dragons v Bulldogs

Round 10 - Saturday 18th July

3:00pm

Home Team

Dragons

11th Position

Away Team

Bulldogs

16th Position

Venue: WIN Stadium, Wollongong

Match broadcasters:

• Kayo
  • Foxtel
  • Live Pass
Fan Information
The Rundown
Team news
Dragons: Winger Jordan Pereira is facing another suspension. If he’s rubbed out, Jason Saab would likely replace him again. Brayden Wiliame is close to returning from a calf injury but he’ll find it hard to break into the side with centres Zac Lomax and Euan Aitken performing well. Jacob Host could come into selection calculations after being sidelined with a hamstring injury. Coach Paul McGregor confirmed he’ll keep Ben Hunt starting at hooker and Cameron McInnes at lock.

Bulldogs: Jake Averillo is unavailable after being quarantined due to an inadvertent COVID-19 protocol breach.

Key match-up
Matt Dufty v Dallin Watene-Zelezniak: The diminutive Dufty has been a revelation for St George Illawarra, his speed and incisiveness playing a key role in igniting the Dragons' resurgent attack. Watene-Zelezniak, on the other hand, has failed to provide any spark when handed the No.1 jumper, leading the league in errors (19) and handling errors (18). The Bulldogs custodian has just one try to his name this year (and only three over his past 34 games) against Dufty's 2020 tally of six.

Stat Attack
The Bulldogs' woes can be attributed in large part to their NRL-worst attack which has produced a meagre 94 points through nine rounds, their 16 tries lagging 10 behind 11th ranked St George Illawarra's 26.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13/dragons-v-bulldogs-hunt-mcinnes-locked-in-averillo-quarantined/

SBD82

Coach
Dean Pay now officially resigned. Teams sometimes get a "dead cat bounce" when things like this happen (think Mary after Price sacking).
I’ve always believed in that bounce, then I watched a show (can’t remember which one) where they crunched the numbers. From memory the findings were that the win ratio was actually pretty poor the first week after the coach was sacked, and lifted for the second week.

Having said that, teams that sack their coaches would on average already have a diabolical win rate, so there may be a bounce and their win ratio is still bad.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
A slightly morbid question, but does a dead cat actually bounce?

And how high up does it need to fall from?

TruSaint

Referee
I’ve always believed in that bounce, then I watched a show (can’t remember which one) where they crunched the numbers. From memory the findings were that the win ratio was actually pretty poor the first week after the coach was sacked, and lifted for the second week.

Having said that, teams that sack their coaches would on average already have a diabolical win rate, so there may be a bounce and their win ratio is still bad.

Depends on the code and the club. I also recall a detailed article about this matter. It was centred more around football ( soccer ), and NBA if I recall.

The initial " bounce" wasn't as great as I thought, and for the rest of the season % rates stayed as they were.

What makes it "real" , is the fan response to a win after a change of coach initially.

Long term is a different matter, as staff change, players move on and come in, etc. But for the season itself, not much evidence that midstream changes improve a teams position, for that said season.

Will try and find the research.

Gareth67

First Grade
Dean Pay now officially resigned. Teams sometimes get a "dead cat bounce" when things like this happen (think Mary after Price sacking).

‘ Dead cat bounce ‘ I like it mate , been a long time since I have heard that expression.

But , bounce or no bounce I just cannot see the the dogs making a contest of this . It’s not that our boys are world beaters - heaven forbid - it’s more that the doggies really look down , no pride , no direction ( sounds strangely familiar ? ) and Trent Barrett IMHO has stepped out of the frying :fire: pan and into the fire .

This is a game that will truly show just how far the Dragons have improved , not so much under the maestro’s tuition but more so from the correct decisions being made by the team selection panel - and perhaps a quiet word behind the scenes from one whom can see the Dragons weaknesses but also has the ability to change them into strengths .

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade

I remember hearing David Middleton saying the second week was more successful than the first.