What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Bulldogs

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
McGregor lauds Hunt-McInnes combination
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

A shift in positions for Ben Hunt (r) and Cameron McInnes has helped fuel the Dragons' NRL recovery.
    Coach Paul McGregor says shifting Ben Hunt to hooker is getting the best out of a St George Illawarra team he reckons have gone to a new level in the NRL.

Hunt will wear No.9 for the second straight game when the Dragons face Canterbury in Wollongong on Saturday, with captain Cameron McInnes to start again at lock, where he starred in last week's 34-4 rout of Manly - St George's biggest win in more than a year.

McGregor said the players who take up the biggest chunk of the Dragons payroll were behind their recovery since slumping to 0-4 when well beaten by the Bulldogs six weeks ago.

The coach staved off intense pressure around his own job and has since overseen three wins from the last five, leaving his side 11th and just two points outside the top eight.

"The big thing is our more experienced players and our higher-profile players are playing better consistently, and when they do that the young boys grow and your team becomes a team," McGregor said.

"That's what I've seen. Last week our better players were our ones that are getting paid well."

Chief among them were Hunt and McInnes in the revamped roles which McGregor believes have solved some former shortcomings.

Queensland representative Hunt had failed to fire in the halves before four games off the bench restored his influence.

"The combination them two guys have got at the moment really benefits everyone around them," McGregor said.

"That's the important thing because we've still got a lot of young middles that are learning the game.

"Cam ... well he's a machine isn't he? He changes from nine to 13 and he gets his 140m (run), his 20 supports and his 48 tackles.

"He was highly involved in our success and how we want to attack the game."

McGregor remains wary of how the Bulldogs will respond to the midweek exit of head coach Dean Pay.

"Obviously they weren't getting wins but I still thought they were playing hard footy for the coach that was there. Deano's a good mate of mine and I feel for him," he said.

"Now they've got a coach (caretaker Steve Georgallis) who's been the assistant coach there and they'll come to play."

STATS THAT MATTER

* The Bulldogs have won five of their six games against the Dragons at WIN Stadium.

* Matt Dufty, Zac Lomax and Mikaele Ravalawa have all scored six tries for the Dragons this season, while no Bulldogs player has scored more than two.

* The Bulldogs (18) and Dragons (20) have scored the fewest points in the opening 20 minutes of games this season.

Australian Associated Press
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6838602/mcgregor-lauds-hunt-mcinnes-combination/?cs=7486
Crawley keeps pushing the McInnes is unhappy narrative though. He was pushing for him to go to the dogs last week now he’s saying this switch will cost us McInnes. Wonder if he’s just got nothing to write about or it’s true? If push come to shove I’d keep McInnes.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Is anyone thinking like I am that for all the good Cam is for us our attack seems to be much better with Hunt as our DH.
Cam will never let us down but it feels like we play better from the way Hunt is currently working for us.

Although I guess if we had a good coach or A COACH full stop both Hunt and McInnes would be playing their preferred position with purpose

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Is anyone thinking like I am that for all the good Cam is for us our attack seems to be much better with Hunt as our Fake.
Cam will never let us down but it feels like we play better from the way Hunt is currently working for us.

Although I guess if we had a good coach or A COACH full stop both Hunt and McInnes would be playing their preferred position with purpose
I think McInnes has a better passing game out of hooker than Hunt and an underrated running game. Point is that if Hunt was doing his job at 7 we wouldn’t need a dynamic hooker. His kicking out of dummy half is handy but no reason he couldn’t come in and take a few kicks from there even playing as a 7.

TruSaint

Referee
I think McInnes has a better passing game out of hooker than Hunt and an underrated running game. Point is that if Hunt was doing his job at 7 we wouldn’t need a dynamic hooker. His kicking out of dummy half is handy but no reason he couldn’t come in and take a few kicks from there even playing as a 7.

Spot on.

getsmarty

Immortal

With all due respect TruSaint, not entirely correct. If we had a coach who knew how to create a game plan which involved using Ben as a running Half, then none of this would be an issue...

.In regards to McInnes, he is happy to play whatever position and same for Hunt....The talk of McInnes being disgruntled is being pushed by player managers....I'd play Clune and Hunt as our halves....allow Clune to organise and Hunt to play his natural running game....

Hunt gets bullied far more than any other player in the press....He was arguably our best player last week...doesn't matter whether that was at hooker or half...I.M.H.O not a relevant fact....

I would guess that if he continues to perform like last week he will eventually be put back in the halves....hopefully not at the expense of Clune...

Anyway, enjoy your weekend have and have a great day.

epDragon62

First Grade
For the first time this season I am actually invested in this game today, I REALLY want the Dragons to win and I will definitely care if they lose.
I want to see them turn up massively in defense and smash the dogs senseless through the middle.
Let's go Dragons.
Losing to the Dogs is totally unacceptable today and like Crush I feel very invested in a solid flogging after a spirited fight from the Dogs.

I hope Rava had another blinder and gets their backs nervous about having the target on them, which visibly was the case last week.

Dragon David

First Grade
Currently at the ground. Been snowing all morning and there was just an earth tremor.
Enjoy the game and fingers crossed for a win to the Dragons. We need it badly to improve our position on the ladder and give us enormous confidence in the games ahead.

blacksafake

First Grade
With all due respect TruSaint, not entirely correct. If we had a coach who knew how to create a game plan which involved using Ben as a running Half, then none of this would be an issue...

.In regards to McInnes, he is happy to play whatever position and same for Hunt....The talk of McInnes being disgruntled is being pushed by player managers....I'd play Clune and Hunt as our halves....allow Clune to organise and Hunt to play his natural running game....

Hunt gets bullied far more than any other player in the press....He was arguably our best player last week...doesn't matter whether that was at hooker or half...I.M.H.O not a relevant fact....

I would guess that if he continues to perform like last week he will eventually be put back in the halves....hopefully not at the expense of Clune...

Agree Smarty,
I have no idea why he cops it so much. It must have a lot to do with his contract, However others who are supposedly on level par re money don’t.
Would really like to see Ben in six outside Clune.

TruSaint

Referee

All good mate.
I have always maintained that Cam should stay at 9, but I can also see why the change is made.

getsmarty

Immortal
team_web.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Updated
Presented By

Late mail: Round 10 v Bulldogs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 18 Jul 2020, 02:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has finalised his 17 ahead of the Dragons' Round 10 clash against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Saturday, July 18.

Tim Lafai and Tristan Sailor are the final two players to drop out, joining Korbin Sims and Jacob Host as the players to drop out of the initial 21-man squad.

Jordan Pereira (suspension) has been replaced in the team by Jason Saab otherwise.

Red V members and partners afforded entrance to attend WIN Stadium on Saturday afternoon are reminded to familiarise themselves with the Covid-19 safe protocols.

NRL team for Round 10 v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jason Saab – sponsored by Baytek Construction
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox Property
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
14. Trent Merrin – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
15. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
16. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
17. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/18/nrl-team-round-10-v-bulldogs/