What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 v Sharks

MarkD

Juniors
After time to sleep on it one major positive is that the DNA of this team is far superior to previous seasons.. It would have been one of Hooks objectives and an important one... We should have won and deserved too but considering the circumstances you can’t question the efforts..
We get some troops back and build from there
Trust we will never have to be subjected to “Up up crapulla” at Kogarah ever again!

BLM01

First Grade
Cant fully agree where its chalk and cheese tbh....wasnt an accident as far as where he made contact...more the case when your chasing at speed the norm is the waist or legs he didnt have to target above the shoulder area
He needed to stop a possible pass from Cody almost trying to wrap the ball up
That is what they’re told to do specially from behind and chasing and it also gives an opportunity for them to slow the play the ball down
Classic waste legs tackle does none of that because of the stupid rIcky rules Dominant surrender whatever

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
That is what they’re told to do specially from behind and chasing and it also gives an opportunity for them to slow the play the ball down
Classic waste legs tackle does none of that because of the stupid rIcky rules Dominant surrender whatever
I take your point but if you look at the replay, there was no one within metres of Cody ...I think from memory Bird was the only one and he was out of reach...anyhow you have your view and Im sticking to mine....irrespective of if buts and maybes if they are going down this ave of protecting the head then for whatever the reason he hit Ramsey high when the rest of the body was available....anyhow we will agree to disagree....its all good from my end

It genuinely does feel like we are getting shafted.

It's funny that you should say that, but this morning I entertained the idea that we were being punished for not being wooden spooners, as was almost universally foretold during pre-season. Four wins in a row - especially a dominant performance against the NRL's beloved Eels - was obviously too much and we have been bent over the desk by the referee and bunker ever since. Then, to rub it in, stories start appearing about how the club has a "discipline problem". If any organisation has a cultural problem, it's the NRL.

Every NRL promotion focuses on impact and aggression - especially SoO promotions - and if you have a sport where extremely fit, 100kg plus guys who could bench press a Mini Minor are racing towards each other flat out you are going to get injuries as a result and accidents are going to happen. The NRL is banging on about player welfare, but they reaping the rewards of the decision they made ages ago to value size and the speed of the game over skill. Did Johnny Raper or Billy Smith look like they could push a bus uphill? No. Could they play Rugby League? Sh*t yeah.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Coffs, I posted weeks back that he at the moment, is my fav player.

He has an error in him, but fook me , he leaves it all out on the park. Tough, skilled and passionate.
Heres the box and dice bud in my opinion.....as soon as Hook is comfortable and Bird is confident that his shocking bad luck with injuries is behind him (and I believe hes at that point now) Then a 5/8 spot is just around the corner....and as far as the captaincy is concerned then for mine he should fill that role next year.....at 26 now he would eventually make the transition to lock so the captain role could be his for the next 3 or 4 years....you dont necessarily have to be blessed with speed to succeed at 5/8 just look at Munster,and as you point out tough, skilled, passionate and leave it all out on the park

BBTB

Juniors
That's a cop out.
Looking at Hiroti's face on replay,
He had bad intentions
on his mind... He tried & successful took he's head off....
Should have been sent
for the game.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Back in the day the NRL did not have to worry about law suits for concussions. Now they do because times have changed. There is a lot more focus on health and safety which is a good thing but for a game like league it is hard to balance as it is a heavy contact sport. I am all for all players wearing head gear as I feel that will surely make some difference and am not sure why that is not heavily forced. I think Beaver Menzies is a good example of why as he probably does not feel the same in the head after retirement than many others. Why don't they test him? He was a forward who did plenty of tackles? Preston Campbell can be another for the backs. That would have been my first approach rather than changing rules. Maybe protecting the players first with protective gear as much as possible without limiting their performance then go from there. Start all juniors from know and make it compulsory so they get use to it in the future.

The way sport is going in general why is Boxing and Wrestling allowed and how long it will last? To participate in that you are definitely risking serious injuries? Will cricket change to a softer ball so there is no risk of head injuries if a player gets struck with the ball? Or again is that a known that there is a risk of serious injury playing the sport that if you get struck in the head with the ball you could potentially get brain damage?

BLM01

First Grade
I take your point but if you look at the replay, there was no one within metres of Cody ...I think from memory Bird was the only one and he was out of reach...anyhow you have your view and Im sticking to mine....irrespective of if buts and maybes if they are going down this ave of protecting the head then for whatever the reason he hit Ramsey high when the rest of the body was available....anyhow we will agree to disagree....its all good from my end
That’s fine
my whole point was you can’t compare that as severe as what Fui tackle was
Dugan... well that was closer according to their new crackdown

Maddragon99

Juniors
Hook said it in the presser, last week Hiroti’s tackle was a send off. Where’s the consistency? Total BS from the NRL losing Ramsey for the whole second half cost us the game.

On the positive Ramsey looks the goods at Fullback, both Max & Junior have settled into First Grade nicely.

Let’s be perfectly clear, Norman cost us the game. 2 missed conversions, 2 missed field goals & sluggish general play. Surely the axe can’t be far off?

Old Timer

Coach
My take aways from the game is there was

Much to be pleased about
  1. Last year we would have been beaten by 40 fielding that team so we have developed heart, passion, grit, determination.
  2. Ford & Burns played well in their natural positions and that augers well for the future.
  3. The loss meant something to them and they don't like it.
  4. Despite the real lack of "talent" we continue to compete and are finding ways to keep in games.
  5. Ramsey looked very likely at the back.

Much to be displeased about
  1. Inability to close out tight games.
  2. Key players reluctant to take control of games at critical stages and IMO they are too frightened of losing to risk the chance of winning.
  3. The way we are treated by the refs, the officials and the media is appalling but we do attract attention to ourselves by our own actions at times and that is concerning.

Gareth67

First Grade
Just on the subject of being shafted , there is no doubt that the struggling clubs are the ones that appear to have taken the brunt of the NRL / judiciary crackdown .

Far too many incidents of a similar nature - if not worst - by the top teams , have been either overlooked by the refs / judiciary have been treated in a much lighter manner , than those clubs who are not expected to be in the semi’s .

I don’t care which club it is , each must be on an equal footing when it comes to enforcing these new rules . My concern now is what penalty will Vaughan receive when he fronts up at the judiciary for what to me was the least aggressive contact to the head in the match ?

Griffin worked wonders in getting our boys - a spare parts squad - up for the game last night and to have them play as a real coordinated unit and full marks to him for his ability to do so . But for the refs over exuberance in issuing penalties for the slightest misdemeanor took the spark out of attack - that and a lack of a player whom could had sealed a win when it was absolutely necessary .

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Reading through the thread from last night.

Just wanna add, some players feel a loss, others are just show ponies.

Look at Bird here... I love seeing this emotion.

Great article about Jack Bird being shattered after the game. I can imagine Norman on the other hand laughing & making plans to go to Northies after a shower.

I think Amone, Clune, Sullivan or Bird makes the field goal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/ba638a7fc534d4a37afacc3c515fcd7a

LINESPEED

Juniors
Great article about Jack Bird being shattered after the game. I can imagine Norman on the other hand laughing & making plans to go to Northies after a shower.

I think Amone, Clune, Sullivan or Bird makes the field goal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/ba638a7fc534d4a37afacc3c515fcd7a
A friend was behind the goalposts last night & clearly heard Bird getting stuck into Norman.
....& the abuse was reciprocated.

No love lost there.

Norman is a canker on the team & he’ll cost Hook any chance of an extension

... & the fu/cker never gets injured

getsmarty

Immortal
HOME
NRLNRL-PREMIERSHIPTEAMS
DRAGONS
‘Shattered’: Why star’s tears are proof Dragons are on the up
ea36b67a63c2388166662e846258a31c

Jack Bird in tears in the Dragons sheds.Source: FOX SPORTS
simon_brunsdon.jpg

Simon Brunsdon from Fox Sports
@simonbrunsdon
May 22nd, 2021 5:48 am
League legend Gorden Tallis says the image of Jack Bird crying in St George Illawarra’s dressing sheds should be heartening for Dragons fans.

The Red V centre was visibly shattered after his side lost in golden point to Cronulla at Kogarah, with Fox League cameras showing Bird in tears after the game.

“These losses really hurt, when you put it all out there,” James Graham said.

St George Illawarra had opportunities to win the game but Corey Norman missed two field-goal attempts, before Cronulla halfback Chad Townsend slotted one to win it.

While the loss is deflating, Tallis said the fact Bird was so shattered shows how much passion remains in the squad.

“You can only judge a team on effort,” Tallis said.

“He moved the spine around so the cohesion might not have been there... you can work on that, but the effort was there. They were chasing back.

“In the last couple minutes of the game they charged down a couple of field goals, so their effort was great.

“You saw the disappointment. Even though I don’t want them to be disappointed for too long, you like a disappointed dressing room, because it shows they care.”

The Dragons next take on Wests Tigers on Friday.

P.S Thanks @Maddragon99

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I
A friend was behind the goalposts last night & clearly heard Bird getting stuck into Norman.

No love lost there.

I seen him with ice on his knee in the sheds.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt says NRL’s illegal contact crackdown is ‘all over the shop’
802629_640x360_large_20210521234918.jpg

St George Illawarra Press Conference | 06:18
Martin Gabor from Nca Newswire
May 22nd, 2021 4:01 pm
Dragons skipper Ben Hunt says the new high tackle crackdown is struggling for consistency as the Red V count the cost of a brutal local derby that has seen their already depleted squad take another massive hit.

The Sharks left Kogarah with a gripping 13-12 win in golden point, but all the talk was on the head-high blitz as three more players were sent to the sin bin, while another eight were placed on report.

Paul Vaughan was the only Dragon sent to the bin for a glancing blow on Sharks centre Will Chambers, while Cronulla duo Josh Dugan and Mawene Hiroti spent 10 minutes off the field even though their tackles appeared more forceful.

The stop-start nature of the contest frustrated the players, but Hunt was more concerned with the high tackle interpretations as the NRL tries to enforce black and white rules for a very grey area.

“You hear the ref and you think ‘geez, what now?’” he told NCA NewsWire.

“It’s a bit confusing out there because you’re guessing half the time.

“You hear a whistle and you don’t know if someone is going to be sent for 10 minutes, sent off or not sent at all. It’s pretty hard at the moment and I don’t actually know what to say about it because it’s pretty confusing for everyone.

“They are really enforcing these rules, and it’s up to the NRL to find consistency because we’re not there yet. They have to find a way to make it more consistent because to me, it feels like it’s all over the shop.”

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin fired up at the fact Hiroti wasn’t marched for his shot that knocked Cody Ramsey out of the game, saying the hit would have been a send off under the interpretations at Magic Round.

And as Hunt says, simply putting a label on a tackle won’t clear up the confusion when every hit should be judged on its merits.

“As far as I know, if it’s a direct shot to the head then it’s 10, and then if they deem it’s direct with force then I think it’s meant to be sent for the game,” he replied when asked if he understood what constituted a sin bin.

“But how are any of our tackles not with force? You’re using force in every tackle you make and there were a few shots that seemed pretty forceful and direct to the head (against Cronulla).

“We lost Cody for the game but their player only spent 10 in the bin. It’s confusing.”

The crackdown has already seen the Red V hit hard with Josh McGuire, Mikaele Ravalawa, Tyrell Fuimaono and Tariq Sims suspended last week, and they have more concerns with three more players placed on report on Friday.

That’s on top of a shoulder injury to Matt Dufty, who could be joined in the casualty ward after St George Illawarra had three players fail their HIAs.

The setbacks come at a horrible time for the club who would have been banking on six competition points given they face the bottom three teams over the next three weeks.

“The first thing we’ve got to do is work out who’s available and then try to assemble a team. We’ve got to get on with life because this is rugby league and we’ve got to do a job, no matter who gets picked,” Hunt said.

“It’s frustrating, but we can’t make excuses because everyone has injuries and suspensions, so we just have to get on with life. Everyone who comes in just has to do their job.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...84a0d5884a7fce89316589a237?recommendedCount=0

Maddragon99

Juniors

No love lost there.

The w@nker never runs hard enough to strain anything & doesn’t get tackled enough to get hurt.

I forgive Bird his handling errors, he basically hasn’t played first grade in 3 years. His effort is inspiring & his game will continue to improve

jeffdragon

Bench
Ben Hunt says NRL’s illegal contact crackdown is ‘all over the shop’
802629_640x360_large_20210521234918.jpg

St George Illawarra Press Conference | 06:18
Martin Gabor from Nca Newswire
May 22nd, 2021 4:01 pm
Dragons skipper Ben Hunt says the new high tackle crackdown is struggling for consistency as the Red V count the cost of a brutal local derby that has seen their already depleted squad take another massive hit.

The Sharks left Kogarah with a gripping 13-12 win in golden point, but all the talk was on the head-high blitz as three more players were sent to the sin bin, while another eight were placed on report.

Paul Vaughan was the only Dragon sent to the bin for a glancing blow on Sharks centre Will Chambers, while Cronulla duo Josh Dugan and Mawene Hiroti spent 10 minutes off the field even though their tackles appeared more forceful.

The stop-start nature of the contest frustrated the players, but Hunt was more concerned with the high tackle interpretations as the NRL tries to enforce black and white rules for a very grey area.

“You hear the ref and you think ‘geez, what now?’” he told NCA NewsWire.

“It’s a bit confusing out there because you’re guessing half the time.

“You hear a whistle and you don’t know if someone is going to be sent for 10 minutes, sent off or not sent at all. It’s pretty hard at the moment and I don’t actually know what to say about it because it’s pretty confusing for everyone.

“They are really enforcing these rules, and it’s up to the NRL to find consistency because we’re not there yet. They have to find a way to make it more consistent because to me, it feels like it’s all over the shop.”

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin fired up at the fact Hiroti wasn’t marched for his shot that knocked Cody Ramsey out of the game, saying the hit would have been a send off under the interpretations at Magic Round.

And as Hunt says, simply putting a label on a tackle won’t clear up the confusion when every hit should be judged on its merits.

“As far as I know, if it’s a direct shot to the head then it’s 10, and then if they deem it’s direct with force then I think it’s meant to be sent for the game,” he replied when asked if he understood what constituted a sin bin.

“But how are any of our tackles not with force? You’re using force in every tackle you make and there were a few shots that seemed pretty forceful and direct to the head (against Cronulla).

“We lost Cody for the game but their player only spent 10 in the bin. It’s confusing.”

The crackdown has already seen the Red V hit hard with Josh McGuire, Mikaele Ravalawa, Tyrell Fuimaono and Tariq Sims suspended last week, and they have more concerns with three more players placed on report on Friday.

That’s on top of a shoulder injury to Matt Dufty, who could be joined in the casualty ward after St George Illawarra had three players fail their HIAs.

The setbacks come at a horrible time for the club who would have been banking on six competition points given they face the bottom three teams over the next three weeks.

“The first thing we’ve got to do is work out who’s available and then try to assemble a team. We’ve got to get on with life because this is rugby league and we’ve got to do a job, no matter who gets picked,” Hunt said.

“It’s frustrating, but we can’t make excuses because everyone has injuries and suspensions, so we just have to get on with life. Everyone who comes in just has to do their job.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...84a0d5884a7fce89316589a237?recommendedCount=0
Sharks were near the bottom of the table and we can't bt them
We played terrible v tigers no hunt v broncos and no confidence to bt the dogs either.