What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs. Bulldogs Discussion + Voting

beads6

First Grade
Hoffman has turned into one of the better wingers in the game in 11 rounds of footy. I'd be against moving him to fullback.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
I thought everyone put in but it just wasn't their night. Dogs were more disciplined and that was the difference. Broncos win if it's at Suncorp. I liked Norman and Hunt's long range kicking.

3 Hoffman
2 Parker
1 J. Wallace

00digger00

Juniors
I think there was only about a 10 minute period before half time were we looked like we were going to win. Other than that, poor displine and execution cost us
Hoffman 3
McGuire 2
Thaiday 1

Big Pete

Referee
Broncos played into the Bulldogs hands.

Where it all went wrong
Their pack just monstered ours. The Broncos failed to get numbers into tackles, failed to make inroads and the speed of the play the ball simply wasn't where it needed to be. A lot of people are taking aim at the playmakers but really they were basically played out of the game.

Would have been interesting to see what kind of path the game would have gone down if Maranta had have scored. He was taken high by Barba but really, he should have positioned himself lower and he would have been odds on to score.

In the end, it was a 12 point turn around and we were chasing our hides for the majority of the first half.

Ben Hunt
Thank goodness for Hunt's strip on Pritchard - that was a fantastic play from our deputy half. I agree with GTB, he needed to call for the ball more and combine more with Wallace but still, I'd take that performance over Prince's.

I was really pleased with his long distance kicking game - I thought two of his kicks were fantastic and it was a damn shame that Gillett missed that tackle on Barba because he should have been rewarded for it.

Still, to go in at half-time 6-4 was a decent result for us.

Second Half
Started really well, we were winning the territory battle early until Norman dropped that sitter of a pass. Was a terrible mistake to make and the Dogs took full advantage scoring a simple try to Kasiano. Fairly soft try but smart play from the Bulldogs, making huge in-roads down their right hand fringe before catching the Broncos napping back on the inside with a big man on small man barge. Thaiday didn't read the line properly on that play - he was ball watching when he should have been looking at how the Dogs were positioned.

Granville Break
This was a damn nice play and Jake deserves full marks here. Think he was just the second player to put pressure on the Canterbury's kickers and it nearly paid off. Should have been a sin bin, but refs. decided to play it safe.

I think this week's performance was a better indication of where Jake is at. He's going to be valuable as bit of a pitch hitter off the bench but his service isn't divine and his defence can be shakey too.

Tolman Try
Came off a 50/50 call against Hodges - bit dumb of Hodgo really who had one of his dud games of the season. Spose it shows me right for naming him in my form team of 2013. Think the shock of that and another run at Kahu lead to this try with Ennis playing flat to Tolman to barge over for a simple four pointer.

Last 20
Two tries to one but essentially it was all over.

Votes
3. Corey Parker
2. Josh Hoffman
1. Peter Wallace

Dazzat

First Grade
Can't see how people are praising Maranta. There was a great chance of a try in the first half where Maranta got the ball with about seven metres to score. I guarantee just about every other winger in the competition would have scored, but he got owned.

He has no tackle breaking ability at all, and seems average in pace. Bring on Whitchurch who at least has some size.

Dazzat

First Grade
Have you watched Whitchurch at all this year Daz?

Just a little on the Intrust games on TV. I liked what I saw when he played in first grade last time. He has size and aggression ... something we are missing with Maranta.

I would call his performances for Redcliffe solid without being outstanding.

Big Pete

Referee
Whitchurch is a very hot and cold player. A strong runner of the football but his hands aren't great and he doesn't possess a lot of speed either. I also don't think he'd be as safe under the high ball as Maranta which is basically what's keeping him in the side.

From all reports, he's been very ordinary since his shocker in the Grand Final and returning from spinal surgery. I wouldn't throw him back into the deep end until he's ready.

Ph1l

Juniors
With the amount of opportunities the Bulldogs offered, a decent side might have done a number on them.

Dazzat

First Grade
OK ... that explains his less than impressive performances. Possibly still regaining confidence after spinal surgery.

It is very "unBronco-like" to have such an average backline at the moment. Admittedly, Hodges was below his best due to the rib injury and Reid is out, but it is disappointing with the resources at their disposal, that our depth is so shallow.

The real issue is undoubtedly the pack. Pete, is there anyone in the Under 20s who could make the jump to first grade? I noticed on the Seven News tonight they even mentioned making an emergency call to Civ!

Big Pete

Referee
Whitchurch's future lies in the backrow - he's been considered there for a few years now and I believe he'll turn into another Alex Glenn type.

I could write an essay on what happened to our backs. For mine, it goes as far back to Hunt's exodus.

We've got a number of really good prospects coming through in Molo, Timu, Oates, Ofahengaue, Arrow etc. but I doubt any of them are up to anything more than a cameo off the bench.

Dazzat

First Grade
Look forward to the essay.

When one considers the talent that has left ... Hunt, Folau, Inglis (didn't leave, but reneged on a deal), Barnes, Tate, Boyd ... even players like Cherry-Evans who could have easily landed at the club but didn't. Beale, Gagai ... the list goes on.

And it's all one-way traffic. The Broncos bleed players to Sydney clubs, but the club just cannot attract Sydney-based, non-Queensland players.

It's times like this when one appreciates the amazing work of Cyril Connell who identified and then attracted special players to the club. God bless Cyril Connell.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Just a little on the Intrust games on TV. I liked what I saw when he played in first grade last time. He has size and aggression ... something we are missing with Maranta.

I would call his performances for Redcliffe solid without being outstanding.

I haven't seen much of Redcliffe since the first round but I would be wary of banking on players from there. They have been very disappointing this year, winning 4/10 with what should be a good team on paper. Lost again today to Ipswich.

Can't be too many of them playing well.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I haven't seen much of Redcliffe since the first round but I would be wary of banking on players from there. They have been very disappointing this year, winning 4/10 with what should be a good team on paper. Lost again today to Ipswich.

Can't be too many of them playing well.

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say when Broncos affiliated players make up a small proportion of the overall team.

Cowboys are 4/11, so I guess QLD shouldn't pick JT. :roll:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Hardly ignorant. I read every match report from the Queensland Cup and I haven't noticed any glowing reports of the players being promoted by some on here as suitable replacements for the incumbents.

Most times in football, you can't make miracles happen by just changing the line-up. Generally, those being selected are probably the best. Last week they looked OK when winning, last night the Bulldogs were just too strong for them and they struggled. Just got to hope they go better next week.

Personally, I think the Broncos have gone about as well as you would expect this season with the players they have.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Never thought I'd say it about the Broncos but 2 mediocre teams (at best) squaring up was going to be anyone's game.
I was 3 minutes late in watching this and we already looked tired. Do we have no idea anymore how to play "smart" wet weather footy? FU**ING dismal ball control and our tackling was just as bad. They were making easy meters even with 1 or two of us hanging on going for the ride! F**CK me when we can't even make ground from a free kick what hope is there! Still I was happy (surprised) going in at half time only 2 points behind. (Were the Bulldogs really playing that sh*thouse?)

2nd half even Granville couldn't help us. Macca was worst of a bad lot. Another hard pick for the points tonight.

3. Hoffman

2. Parker

1. McGuire

Maranta just misses out. Very safe and seems eager enough but has to come up with some new technique called "getting the ball over the friggin' try line".

ranga68

Juniors
Look forward to the essay.

When one considers the talent that has left ... Hunt, Folau, Inglis (didn't leave, but reneged on a deal), Barnes, Tate, Boyd ... even players like Cherry-Evans who could have easily landed at the club but didn't. Beale, Gagai ... the list goes on.

And it's all one-way traffic. The Broncos bleed players to Sydney clubs, but the club just cannot attract Sydney-based, non-Queensland players.

It's times like this when one appreciates the amazing work of Cyril Connell who identified and then attracted special players to the club. God bless Cyril Connell.

Yes he did a great job and the boys loved him but the current administration doesn't have the same level of trust that Bennett and Cyril had. Broncs are never going to win anything without trust and loyalty both ways. The current staff look after there own arses and make sure they get paid first. Broncs will lose way more talent before they attract anymore.