What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Canberra

Life's Good

Coach
Should win but Canberra are on the up.
Their defence has improved out of sight and they will adopt the same tactics against us as did the Warriors and Souths.
If they can execute that game plan we could find ourselves in a very close tussle.
Rapana, Leilua and Lee are the worry if the get room to move.
I reckon that if we can crack them early on then we will go on and win.
If we are pressing their line and not scoring, we will lose again.
Whilst they’re a side that can worry us I don’t see them as a team on the up. When you look at the number of games, this year & last, that they have failed to close out whilst holding a match winning lead you get a good sense of their mental frailty.
By no means should we take them lightly but if we play to our strengths(good middle go forward, hit hard in defence, respect possession)then we should win.

possm

Coach
Canberra have been playing relatively poorly all season.

It is a game Saints should win provided we select a team of fit players.

Better to rest JDB and where necessary Hunt if he hasn't fully recovered by kick off.

Canberra will be without Blake Austin. So they won't be as effective in attack.

We need fresh forwards.

I would select a bench of LAM, Sele, Latimore and Leilua if Hunt is out with Mann to play in the Halves.

If Hunt is good to go, Leilua to drop off the bench with Mann to take his place.

Canberra has a big pack of forwards. We need to aim up to win the forward battle.

Using the bench judiciously is the key to winning this one.

All the backs need to put one finger in to a live electrical socket if we are to start fast and perform to the highest level.

Mann has a big heart and does not shy away from is defensive duties however, I would rather see him on the right wing. He is too light to cop all that traffic in the middle each week.

Whilst they’re a side that can worry us I don’t see them as a team on the up. When you look at the number of games, this year & last, that they have failed to close out whilst holding a match winning lead you get a good sense of their mental frailty.
By no means should we take them lightly but if we play to our strengths(good middle go forward, hit hard in defence, respect possession)then we should win.
I agree but I was really referring to their defence.
The games they have won have been on the back of some strong defence.
That is exactly how Warriors and Souths beat us.
Had plenty of ball, and plenty of tackles in the opposition 20 and couldn't score.
Hopefully we have adjusted and learned something from those performances.

TruSaint

Referee
Raiders have nothing to lose.

They are only 2 wins out of the eight, and only 1 win behind teams like Broncos. In the bottom sides they are the only team with a positive F&A...

A win against us will propel them as a result of their close loses and good differential.

Will be an interesting game.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons to honour Tory Brunning, Merv Lees
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 17 May 2018, 10:43 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons will wear black armbands in honour of Tory Brunning and Merv Lees against the Canberra Raiders this weekend.

Brunning collapsed in sheds and tragically passed away after playing for Illawarra Rugby League outfit, Dapto Canaries last weekend.

The 22-year-old was a member of the Dragons' junior representative high performance unit in 2012 and 2013.

In that time he played for the Illawarra Steelers' Harold Matthews (2012) and SG Ball (2013-14) sides.

Lees, who passed away late last week, played 56 games (35 tries) for the St George Dragons between seasons 1953 and 1958.

The well-respected centre featured five times for New South Wales (1954-55) and made one appearance for the City Origin team in 1956.

Lees played part in the Dragons' 1956 premiership win – although he broke his collarbone in that game – and the Dragons' 1953 grand final loss to South Sydney.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/17/dragons-to-honour-tory-brunning-merv-lees/

Crush

Coach
I think this game is more of an indication to how we are "really going" than the past 4 weeks.
Last 4 weeks we have played 4 of the top 6 teams in the comp. And we've done very well. Not amazing but we've played some solid footy mostly.
Now for the first time in a while we will play a team that isn't a powerhouse.
Sure they can turn it on and play some footy but they cant sustain it for 80 minutes. They beat themselves regularly.
If we play well we win this game easily but if we lose this game.... well I will start to worry.

hewi

Bench
I think this game is more of an indication to how we are "really going" than the past 4 weeks.
Last 4 weeks we have played 4 of the top 6 teams in the comp. And we've done very well. Not amazing but we've played some solid footy mostly.
Now for the first time in a while we will play a team that isn't a powerhouse.
Sure they can turn it on and play some footy but they cant sustain it for 80 minutes. They beat themselves regularly.
If we play well we win this game easily but if we lose this game.... well I will start to worry.

If we lose this game we then face Penrith and il be really worried.

ouryears

Bench
I agree but I was really referring to their defence.
The games they have won have been on the back of some strong defence.
That is exactly how Warriors and Souths beat us.
Had plenty of ball, and plenty of tackles in the opposition 20 and couldn't score.
Hopefully we have adjusted and learned something from those performances.
We need hunt and widdop to have good games behind our go forward pack.

If that happens, we will win.

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
One of our goals from here on in is not to accept back to back losses. The Dragons are the brunt of jokes among rival supporters. Their has been many smug comments how the Dragons are the team that fades away. Right or wrong, they carry this tag. Its printed on thier sleeves in invisible ink. If they don’t want it to be a permanent tattoo then they need to take ownership and understand what’s at stake. The talented Raiders outfit are the under achievers, who sometimes come out of thier shells to play us. Thier desperate. Thier season is almost over. We have to match thier desperation and get the win. The Panthers next week will be much tougher and we don’t want to be facing a three match losing streak with State of Origin upon us.

Gareth67

First Grade
Can recall a match back in the 60's where the Dragons beat Manly (?) 6 - 0 . All points ( which were penalty goals ) came from the boot of Phil Hawthorne who kicked them by drop kicks , truly amazing with field goals that bloke .

Latest posts