What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Sharks

dragons girl

Juniors
I was hoping for another
Premiership before I die but with the current board and the woeful choices they make I shall have to watch my 2010 premiership DVD.Nothing will change until a full clean out of the club is done and we all know that is not going to happen.

qld redvee

Juniors
since we have players that are playing dumb ( and have been for a few games ) then how hasnt this trait been addressed by coach prior to todays dismal effort . then latimore has been playing injured since round 1 BUT continues to be selected but gives nothing WTF..
I can see duffty and rav being punted with aitkin and pearson coming in and Lomax back to fullback even though it seems as Lomax is not in coaches playing list. Forwards are the problem korbin for lawrie kerr for lats still means we need another "good" forward on the bench as we cant afford to carry a back I hope we can bounce back BUT it seems like we are struggling for forwards and a dominant playmaker so we need Norman back asap or a bloody miracle

rednwhites

Juniors
Lomax cannot be in the starting 13 for a while, regardless of how you slice it

Struggling to find a player who deserves their place. I would be surprised if we have any players picked for origin at this rate. Things look as though they are going to get worse before they get better. you can see the wheels falling off in terms of belief of the players in the coach. if we have to get smashed by cronulla at home i am willing to take the hit.

Gareth67

First Grade
I was hoping for another
Premiership before I die but with the current board and the woeful choices they make I shall have to watch my 2010 premiership DVD.Nothing will change until a full clean out of the club is done and we all know that is not going to happen.

I am afraid that you are right my dear . It would appear that Brian Smith’s warning has come to fruition - “ this place has the same smell about it that Newtown had “ or words very similar .

1 Field 2 Pereira 3 Aitken 4 Lafai 5 Person 6 Sailor 7 Hunt
8 Lawrie 9 McInnes 10 Vaughan 11 Frizzell 12 T Sims 13 K Sims
14 Host 15 Kerr 16 Graham 17 Leilua 18 Timm 19 Lomax
Caretaker coach : Ben Hornby, pending the arrival of Jason Demetriou
Btw - Dragons website headline "Dragons fall short in Mudgee". There wasn't a dry seat in the house when I read that aloud!
Lot of merit if we were serious about change.

Bill Dragon

Juniors
Team for Sharks
1. Lomax
2. Pearson
3. Atkin
4. Lafai
5. Pereria
6. Field
7. Hunt
8. K. Sims
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Ford
13. Lawrie
14. Robson
15. T. Sims
16. Graham
17. Kerr / Host
Not a bad team, I'd swap Graham and K Sims though. I don't think Graham would offer any impact off the bench.

RedVDave

First Grade
Just a warning to everyone not to get to excited by many changes to the team next week after all this is the same coach who came out last year and said he doesn't care how bad Ben Hunt plays he will be picked in the starting 13 every week ...yep the guys must be terrified of getting the axe after hearing that.

possm

Coach
since we have players that are playing dumb ( and have been for a few games ) then how hasnt this trait been addressed by coach prior to todays dismal effort . then latimore has been playing injured since round 1 BUT continues to be selected but gives nothing WTF..
I can see duffty and rav being punted with aitkin and pearson coming in and Lomax back to fullback even though it seems as Lomax is not in coaches playing list. Forwards are the problem korbin for lawrie kerr for lats still means we need another "good" forward on the bench as we cant afford to carry a back I hope we can bounce back BUT it seems like we are struggling for forwards and a dominant playmaker so we need Norman back asap or a bloody miracle
I like what you say in this post only I have one change:
We should immediately and quickly go to the market for a centre/fullback. Pay him market price and put the cost down to bad decisions made on recruiting during the off-season.
1. Lomax
2. Pereira - on notice
3. New centre
4. Lafai - on notice
5. Pearson
6. Field
7. Hunt

With regards to forwards drop Host, Latimore and Graham:

8. Timm
9. Robson
10 Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T Sims
13. McInnes - rotate with Robson. Tackling machine needed.

14. Kerr
15. Lawrie
16. K Sims
17. Frizell

Red V for life

Juniors
So, changes to be expected hey Mary.

In the forwards, i’d be tempted to throw the young pups in with strict instructions to go hell for broke, rip and tear...you’ve got 20 minutes before you get a spell.

Yeah, I know...we’d probably be down by 24 in the first 20 mins but I could handle that from a bunch of inexperienced kids than I can the crap we’ve seen the last few weeks.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL still waiting on Dragons salary cap relief bid as axe looms
Adam PengillyMay 20, 2019 — 5.14pm
  • Send via Email
The Dragons are yet to lodge an application with the NRL for salary cap relief in the wake of Jack de Belin's unsuccessful Federal Court challenge as fullback Matt Dufty comes under increasing pressure to hold his spot in the struggling side.

As of Monday night, the Dragons still hadn't lodged paperwork with the NRL to formalise a bid to shore up a roster set to be without de Belin for the rest of the year as they desperately try to resurrect their season.

61e5763b90ebb9c3d4deba325f5fcbc4efd5800f

Under scrutiny: Dragons fullback Matt Dufty.Credit:NRL Photos

It's expected St George Illawarra will have almost $230,000 to spend on a like-for-like replacement for the State of Origin forward, whose expensive legal challenge to the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy was rejected last Friday.

Dragons chairman Andrew Gordon told the Herald on the weekend he hoped to hold talks with the NRL over who would fit the bill for the salary cap relief, but St George Illawarra's fourth straight defeat has added urgency to the matter.

The Dragons still have two roster spots to fill before June 30.

'I don't have to talk myself up': Pearce stars in Origin audition
They resisted formalising any application for salary cap relief until de Belin had exhausted his legal avenues challenging the NRL's policy, hopeful he would be able to return before their deflating loss to the Knights in Mudgee.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor hinted at changes after Mitchell Pearce and Kalyn Ponga embarrassed the Red V.

It's understood Dufty is one player under pressure despite in the past month logging two try-of-the-season contenders, a scintillating solo effort against the Roosters on Anzac Day and a length-of-the-field team beauty against the Eels.

Dufty started the year on the interchange bench but was whisked back into the starting side after captain Gareth Widdop dislocated his shoulder.

Corey Norman's imminent return and the emergence of Jai Field will force McGregor into making another crucial decision in relation to his spine, which has been ravaged by injury this year.

If it's not right, as a player you'd rather get it right so it's not in the back of your mind heading into a game thinking about it

Corey Norman
Norman rated himself an outside chance of making his return from a fractured cheekbone in the local derby against the Sharks at WIN Stadium on Sunday.

"I guess if it's fully healed the plan will be to come back [against the Sharks]," Norman said. "But we have to see how it feels.

"If it's not right, as a player you'd rather get it right so it's not in the back of your mind heading into a game thinking about it. If I do miss the Sharks we've got the bye then I'm back and I'm probably not even thinking about it.

"We'll see what happens but if it feels right I'll be out there."

Norman underwent surgery after a sickening head clash with Parramatta winger Maika Sivo, which was the first of two games where the Dragons blew big half-time leads before being torched by Newcastle.

"The first week after the surgery I didn't do much," Norman said. "You've just got to sit around. You can't do any rehab and it's a bit of a process.

"Even at training the other day I was just walking around watching the boys train and I was like, 'I'm bored. What am I doing?' I'm not a good watcher."
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-relief-bid-as-axe-looms-20190520-p51p7z.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Frustrated McGregor warns of changes after Knights drubbing
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 19 May 2019, 06:51 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has warned of changes to his side after Newcastle fully exposed a frailty in the Dragons this season that has been masked by recent strong first half performances.

The Dragons trailed 28-0 at half-time before being thumped 45-12 in Mudgee on Sunday and McGregor believes the heavy defeat may have been a while coming after the second-half collapses against Parramatta and the Warriors in the past two weeks.

A disappointed McGregor said his middle forwards had become frustrated after repeated errors by teammates and he would look at changes for next Sunday’s match against Cronulla at WIN Stadium in a bid to end the club’s four-match losing streak.

"I think for the first 40 minutes we didn’t show any resilience in defending errors or penalties, which is highly disappointing," McGregor said.

"I feel that the frustration was starting to come from some middle players on the footy field through those errors and us not defending tackle-five kicks and shifts.

"We've got to have a real good look at why. Up until today, our first 40 minutes has been like a top-four side and our last 40 minutes has been like a bottom-four side.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Knights

"The same people are making the same errors and the poor reads on a weekly basis so it might be time for change.

"Right now, we're halfway through the year so if we're still making the same errors, and giving away the same sort of penalties, the same people are doing it that means they're not listening."

McGregor’s options are limited but he confirmed lock Korbin Sims would be available for the match against the Sharks after recovering from a broken arm. Five-eighth Corey Norman is likely to return from a fractured cheekbone in the following match two weeks later.

Veteran forward Jeremy Latimore was ruled out of the Knights clash after aggravating a knee injury at training and McGregor said he would be sidelined for another two weeks, while the Dragons had expected Jack de Belin to play if he won his legal challenge to the NRL’s "no-fault stand down" policy.

The Australian Federal Court decision against de Belin last Friday rocked some of his teammates and McGregor conceded it may have been a distraction leading into Sunday’s match.

"I hope that didn't have an effect on the performance today, some say it may have because Jack is a very well-liked person and an important part of our football team," McGregor said.

"To be totally honest we all expected him to be available today, but he wasn't so we had to move on pretty quickly from that.

remote.axd

Sign up to a FREE NRL Account and unlock this content. Creating an NRL Account is easy and will give you access to NRLTV, featured editorials, special ticketing offers, free competitions and much more.

Already have an NRL Account?
Not sure? Learn more about NRL Account

"There's feeling there, there's definitely emotion there for sure. Whether that played a role in today's performance or even in my build-up, I'm not sure subconsciously. Certainly he is a big part of our lives.

"But he wasn't there today and there 17 players and coaching staff who didn't do what they needed to do."

Asked if he would consider removing de Belin from the senior training squad if he was unable to play, McGregor said: "He's a part of our club and a part of our team. He's got the assumption of innocence until he gets his opportunity in court."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...egor-warns-of-changes-after-knights-drubbing/