What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 - Rabbitohs vs Tigers: Saturday 28th May 5:30pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to dump that Round 11 game and look towards the next one as we take on the Wests Tigers in what is now a crucial clash back at Accor Stadium. A very special Round this week as it's Indigenous Round. Being one of the biggest Aboriginal clubs with a large representation of Indigenous players, this Round is always so special for us. A real chance to celebrate that culture and connect with it. I am a Kiwi but I have always admired the Aboriginal culture and it's very important that it is celebrated accordingly, that's why weeks like this are great and the NRL does it so well. We'll mark the occasion by wearing our special Indigenous jersey, this year a sleek mostly black design, and if that doesn't get the boys up and give them pride in the jersey, then nothing will. I'm assuming the players will all be getting their boots painted like last year too.

Not only that, but this Saturday will be a huge occasion because of the game itself. We're coming up against a Tigers side that will be just as desperate as us so it should be a cracker. A potentially Season-defining match for us that we simply must win. No more if's or buts, no more excuses, must win this week or we're in some real trouble.

It's certainly not going to be easy against a Wests side that has been up and down to be fair but are capable of a very good performance. I mean, look at what happened last time we played. We do not want a result like that again here. The Tigers always seem to lift against us, we all know that and it really doesn't matter what time of the year it is or how the two teams are going, they always lift for this game and drag us into a contest. They are certainly one of our bogey sides so we need to be wary of that again this week. Go with or get on top of their forward pack and shut down their stars like Laurie, Hastings and Tamou and that should go a long way to winning. Once again, the forward battle is the key this week. We got smashed through the middle last week and up against a solid middle again here, we simply cannot let that repeat.

For us, the only way is up. It really is, that's how bad last week was. It needs to go up at a great rate of knots starting with this week against the Tigers. There's no two ways about it, we have to turn this around and we have to bounce back. I'm sure the boys will be eager to. Just about every facet of our game needs to be better this week or the Tigers will get us. I know it's a cliche, but I think focusing on ourselves this week and getting our own game in order is so important, more so now after the way we've been going. We need to cut out these silly errors which are really holding us back and sort our bloody soft defence out! These are the two main focuses this week and if we can get it right in those areas, particularly the errors, then we might be okay. I just hope the boys are hurting and come out this week fired up and ready to go, that's what we need to see!! That's what we should see!

So such an important game this week for more reasons than one. Indigenous Round and the result. So much to play for! Our backs are now well and truly against the wall and it's time we turned that around. It's time we turned our Season around! Bring on Saturday, bring on the Tigers!!

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 12 against the Tigers,

1. Nikorima
2. Johnston
3. Karapani
4. Graham
5. Tass
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Taaffe
15. Peoples/Havili
16. Nicholls
17. Sele

Surely some changes have to be made and these are the ones I'd like to see. How much better does that line up look?! Nikorima was super dangerous at fullback, provided some real spark, so I'd like to see him stay there in the starting side and push Taaffe to the bench. I also really want Karapani and Tass in on the wing. Two athletes who have real potential, speed and actually pose a threat. I particularly want Karapani in and now is the time to pull the trigger surely.

The pack will get a bit of a shake up this week with Nicholls and hopefully Murray returning, that'll be two big boosts. I'd also like to see Koloamatangi and Arrow swap sides.

What's the bet none of this happens though and we go with the same old stuff that has failed us for 11 Rounds now?

big hit!

Bench
how can you justify karapani when he hasn't played in Cup or Flegg for two weeks? He's obviously injured and unavailable.

Hellray

Juniors
At this stage I’d swap Walker and nikorima around. Shove Cody at the back and see if it sparks him into some form

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Line Up For Round 12 Against Tigers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/24/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-12-vs-wests-tigers/

Gotta say I'm not entirely happy with this. It's still not a bad side but I just feel like after the way we've been going recently, enough is enough and it was time for some changes. I especially expected some backline changes but no, we'll trot out the same old stuff that hasn't been working the past 11 Rounds. Very frustrating. It's also a bit concerning because it means either JD is lost or he doesn't think the back up guys are up to it. Either way, concerning.

I guess there is a chance of changes before game day still but I consider that unlikely.

Great to see Nicho and possibly, hopefully Cam back too! They are some massive ins for us and ensure our forward pack is strong.

Not quite the line up I was hoping for but it's still not a bad side as I said. Just really need to aim up. Still can't wait for Saturday!!

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Rabbitohs Line Up For Round 12 Against Tigers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/24/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-12-vs-wests-tigers/

Gotta say I'm not entirely happy with this. It's still not a bad side but I just feel like after the way we've been going recently, enough is enough and it was time for some changes. I especially expected some backline changes but no, we'll trot out the same old stuff that hasn't been working the past 11 Rounds. Very frustrating. It's also a bit concerning because it means either JD is lost or he doesn't think the back up guys are up to it. Either way, concerning.

I guess there is a chance of changes before game day still but I consider that unlikely.

Great to see Nicho and possibly, hopefully Cam back too! They are some massive ins for us and ensure our forward pack is strong.

Not quite the line up I was hoping for but it's still not a bad side as I said. Just really need to aim up. Still can't wait for Saturday!!
Keep picking the same 2 or 3 few guys who are big weak links - everyone else can see who they are except JD….
It it were the AFL I would say we were “tanking” for draft picks…..

callmack1

Staff member
Judging by what Eddie Farah said in today's rehab report, Taane is almost certainly out. Tass or Thompson to come in.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well how frustrating Knight not dropped he’s awful, Paulo or Milne not dropped for Tass who didn’t get enough of a go for mine. Watch I bet we play Sauce if Milne is ruled out….

If you look at our run home the last 6-7 rounds we play so many top 6 teams this week is must win otherwise we can’t make the 8, if Murray plays I have some confidence if he doesn’t we are in big strife. Junior could be ruled out too.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

Jason Demetriou reveals when key personnel will return for depleted Rabbitohs

It’s been a difficult stretch on the injury front, but South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou doesn’t need the help of his predecessor Wayne Bennett as he grapples with an injury crisis.

Brent Read

May 24, 2022 - 6:51AM

Jason Demetriou insists now is not the time to panic.

The South Sydney coach doesn’t feel the need to pick up the phone and reach out to predecessor Wayne Bennett for advice.

He won’t be chopping and changing his squad in search of answers.

The cavalry will be back soon — it could even start this weekend with the potential return of captain Cameron Murray and veteran prop Mark Nicholls — and things will turn.

“We can only play the cards we are dealt and unfortunately we are losing key players,” Demetriou said.

“There is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel .. over the next few weeks. All we can do is get the bodies back and keep going again next week.

“Our playmakers have been under more pressure than most because of the blokes we have been missing in the middle third.

“Latrell (Mitchell) has been out for a long time. Losing Mark Nicholls in round four — Cam has been injured the last couple of weeks.

“It has not been ideal but we have to battle through it, show some resilience this week and start getting some bodies back after the bye round.”

Murray is likely to be named to play the Wests Tigers on Saturday afternoon pending a check on his injured shoulder later in the week. Nicholls hasn’t played since injuring his ankle against Penrith earlier in the year but is expected to take his place against the Tigers.

Meanwhile, Mitchell is making steady progress in America, where he is working under the watchful eye of noted trainer Bill Knowles.

Demetriou always expected to face some challenges when he took over from Bennett at Souths. He vowed to do it his way and he insists there is no need to reach out to the seven-time premiership winner for advice as the Rabbitohs struggle to find some consistency.

Asked whether he had been in communication with Bennett, Demetriou said: “No. I have some pretty good staff in and around the place and if I need to, I will ring Wayne but Wayne is not going to get me bodies back.

“We were in this same position around this time of the year and we got two 50-point hidings with similar blokes missing from the team.

‘We need to knuckle down. I am not panicking at all. I know the quality of the team we have in the change room and I am excited when we get them all back together.

“I am confident that in our second half of the season, we will get some momentum for sure.”

Arguably no player has been affected by Mitchell’s absence as much as Cody Walker, who endured another frustrating game in the defeat to Canberra. At times this season, Walker has looked like a player with the weight of the world on his shoulders.
“There are parts of his game he can improve but there is no doubt as a senior player, he feels it more than most and it is because he cares, he wants us to be better,” Demetriou said.

“As I said, I am not panicking. We will get the consistency and some of the results we want. We knew with the players we turned over the start of the season was going to be challenging but throw in injuries and things like that to key players, it has made it a bit more challenging.

“But we will be right.”

The Rabbitohs should be fortified after the bye by the return of not just Mitchell, but also Jed Cartwright. Michael Chee Kam won’t be far away. Souths have lost more than they have won this season but they are in eighth place and the tide can quickly turn.

“I love it,” Demetriou said.

“It is not enjoyable after every loss — you feel it, it’s a lot more heightened. You feel that sense of responsibility on how the team is playing.

“That’s exciting as well because the challenge is to turn it around.”

callmack1

Staff member
Taaffe honored to represent Rabbitohs in Indigenous Round: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/05/25/taaffe-honoured-to-represent-rabbitohs-in-indigenous-round/

Alex Johnston Media Round 12: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/25/alex-johnston-media-round-12/

Keaon Koloamatangi Media Round 12: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/25/keaon-koloamatangi-media-round-12/

Damien Cook Media Round 12: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/25/damien-cook-media-round-12/

Rabbitohs Insider 2022 Round 12: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/25/rabbitohs-insider-2022-round-12/

Rabbitohs' 'big problem' has been laid bare... but don't expect Demetriou to call Bennett: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/bc99a1c655b584b04064abfb95d8397f

Also, from Sporting News,

Damien Cook admits frustration over 'panicked' Rabbitohs

Damien Cook has admitted his frustration surrounding the Rabbitohs 'panicked' performances in recent weeks, as pressure mounts on their big names and new head coach.

Jason Demetriou has struggled to get last year's grand finalists firing in his rookie year, with the side winning just five games from the opening 11 rounds.

Cody Walker has also become a shadow of his 2021 campaign, clearly struggling with the absence of Latrell Mitchell and Adam Reynolds.

But speaking on Big Sports Breakfast, Cook said the squad aren't listening to the outside noise regarding Reynolds' well-publicised departure and are more frustrated with their own performances.

“For me personally, we’re more frustrated with how we’re playing," he said.

"We know we can be a lot better – we are in the same position we were in 2020. Last year we had a lot of noise after we got beaten by some big scores – and we made the grand final.

"We are pretty good at dealing with that outside noise and understanding it is up to us to fix it.

"Inside the four walls at Redfern, we are just looking for consistency at the moment.

"We need to get a couple of wins in a row and some confidence in our game plan and get some confidence from that."

South Sydney have made more errors than any other side this season. On average, they are making an error every six minutes of play and have made 17 more mistakes in total than the side with the second-most.

Their loss to Canberra last weekend raised plenty of concerns, going down 32-12 and completely blown off the park in the opening half.

Cook believes his side are 'panicking' as soon as there is scoreboard pressure mounting on them - something that rarely occurred with Reynolds wearing the No.7 jumper and Wayne Bennett in charge from a coaching perspective.

“That’s the frustrating part about it – when in doubt, we have gone back to some old ways or hoping our left-side can pull something together," he said.

"We are getting behind on the scoreboard and panicking a little bit. That’s a big one – in the last couple of years, that has never been an issue for us.

"We get a couple of tries down and we are starting to throw some offloads we don’t need. We just need to regroup, come together and stick to our process.

"At the moment, there’s a little bit of panic there when we do get scored against and we go out of our game-plan."

South Sydney will take on the Tigers this weekend, before receiving a bye in Round 13 with the State of Origin period fast-approaching.

The incumbent NSW and Australian hooker said the cardinal and myrtle will be boosted by the returns of Cameron Murray and Mark Nicholls, and is expecting Souths to turn things around in the back-half of the year.

“Mark is a very underrated player – not within our group though, it will be great to have him back," he said.

"With Cam, we don’t want to push it but if we can get him back, we know what he can do in the middle of the field.

“I’m definitely confident it will click and it will all come together. It can be a little bit frustrating because I know how hard the team works – at the moment, we can’t worry.

"We’ve got the most errors and the worst completion rate, we’re just working harder than we have to.

"We are doing too much defence – sometimes we are getting to the end of the game and trying to attack and the big boys are getting tired.

"We are hurting ourselves at the moment."

callmack1

Staff member
Training images from today are very interesting.

Let's start with the good news; Cam Murray was training in the red shirt which indicates he'll be good to go. Did have a pink rehab vest on though. His return being confirm was further evidenced by Hame being in green because he was named in the starting side yesterday at lock but the green indicates he's now on the bench. Nikorima was also wearing red so we could see him start at fullback.

The bad news??? Mansour also in red. Don't like that much.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Training images from today are very interesting.

Let's start with the good news; Cam Murray was training in the red shirt which indicates he'll be good to go. Did have a pink rehab vest on though. His return being confirm was further evidenced by Hame being in green because he was named in the starting side yesterday at lock but the green indicates he's now on the bench. Nikorima was also wearing red so we could see him start at fullback.

The bad news??? Mansour also in red. Don't like that much.
Thanks mate appreciate the report

Steenson123

Juniors
At this stage I’d swap Walker and nikorima around. Shove Cody at the back and see if it sparks him into some form
Rather play Walker-Nikorima together. Walker is very poor at FB recall the 0-50 against Addo-Carr last season. Nikorima may spark Walker as he is very experienced like Reynolds was. Ilias looks like he needs break and in any case the club may have to look elsewhere for a #7.