What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 V Dogs

Blade23

Juniors
So I assume there was no wriggle room when the Panthers management were already trying to juggle the cap at it was at the time.

I think Suualii ended up getting $700k for two years, and I doubt at the time of that signing, nobody could have matched that price.

But going by his first outing for Easts, he is going be be something special, and IMO will be in SOO next season.

Souths swoop on him a couple of years ago. I think when he was 15. He was playing a bit of Union at the time.

Kilkenny

Coach
Souths swoop on him a couple of years ago. I think when he was 15. He was playing a bit of Union at the time.

I thought I read somewhere he played junior footy in Glenmoore Park up until age 12 and thereafter went to a private school in the city and played both union and league. Either way I don’t think he was one who got away it was just the way it was an a scholarship from an elite school.

The_Frog

First Grade
Jack Hetherington only copped a fine after two reports. Certainly has been a consistant weekend for inconsistancy.
Do they really want to force players out of the sport on the back of a crackdown? A grade 2 would have been 4 weeks with an early guilty, for what was a pretty innocuous hit really. It is my view that with charges at unprecedented levels the system of loadings for priors needs to be looked at in the off season.

Stop differentiating between similar and non-similar would be a good start. This practice can and does lead to anomalies.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Do they really want to force players out of the sport on the back of a crackdown? A grade 2 would have been 4 weeks with an early guilty, for what was a pretty innocuous hit really. It is my view that the system of loadings for priors needs to be looked at in the off season.

Stop differentiating between similar and non-similar would be a good start. This practice can and does lead to anomalies.
Yes, the 1st one was a bit innocuous, although two warnings in two minutes of the first half indicicated his (or the coaches) intent. And this was after binnings the night before, and that sham of a game between Manly V Newcastle.

betcats

Referee
So I assume there was no wriggle room when the Panthers management were already trying to juggle the cap at it was at the time.

I think Suualii ended up getting $700k for two years, and I doubt at the time of that signing, nobody could have matched that price.

But going by his first outing for Easts, he is going be be something special, and IMO will be in SOO next season.

So souths paid him 700k and he still left before he hit first grade, that is money poorly spent and that is the big risk with a kid like Suaalli, when every club knows him when he is 16 than he is always going to cost a shit load and be hard to keep.

The_Frog

First Grade
Yes, the 1st one was a bit innocuous, although two warnings in two minutes of the first half indicicated his (or the coaches) intent. And this was after binnings the night before, and that sham of a game between Manly V Newcastle.
The whole team was wound up, and Jack would see himself as the enforcer.

Pomoz

Bench
That was a terrible game to watch. A couple of points:

• I hope the referees boss reviews the game and talks to the ref. The Dogs were allowed to work the Panthers over in the tackle and writhe round on the floor like a scene from Caligula. Awful to watch. I love the new rule advocating a faster game, six agains and sin bins for head highs. I do not want to return to the days of Storm ball, with wrestling and congealed, turgid football. It's like watching grass grow, but without the excitement of cutting it every fortnight. This game was an insight into how it used to be. Count me out;
  • Leota's head high tackle was just plain stupid. He needs to get these bain explosions out of his game. They will cost us a game at some point;
  • The forwards dominated the game for the Panthers. JFH made 37 tackles and 182m. Leota was brilliant carting the ball forward with 131m in 35 minutes and 24 tackles with no misses. If the ref had managed the ruck properly, this dominance would have led to an avalanche of points;
  • Kikau has been really quiet the last few weeks. A few more errors again and generally just going through the motions in attack. His defence was good though with 30 tackles and some big hits. Come on big fellah, fire up! We will need you in the next few weeks;
  • The Dogs pack defended well and Napa, Hetherington and Jackson returning improved their team. They will go a lot better if they can keep this pack on the field. That said, how bad is their attack? They hardly passed the ball more than one out and looked devoid of creativity. They should hire a coach with noted attacking prowess..........;
  • I have been impressed by Crichton. He has slowly improved this season as he has grown into the game. He has stared second season syndrome in the face and after initially stumbling for a few rounds, he looks like he has won the battle. I am not sure that fullback is his best position, but he is a top class centre;
  • I have been watching Staines closely every week and you can see that he has great football intelligence and a lovely passing game. Sauce couldn't score the tries Charlie does, not because of his slower speed, but because he could never anticipate where to be. Charlie goes over untouched because he positions himself perfectly, his pace is just added cream. Once his body gets stronger, he will be the one challenging for Edward's spot and I look forward to the contest.

GongPanther

Referee
That was a terrible game to watch. A couple of points:

• I hope the referees boss reviews the game and talks to the ref. The Dogs were allowed to work the Panthers over in the tackle and writhe round on the floor like a scene from Caligula. Awful to watch. I love the new rule advocating a faster game, six agains and sin bins for head highs. I do not want to return to the days of Storm ball, with wrestling and congealed, turgid football. It's like watching grass grow, but without the excitement of cutting it every fortnight. This game was an insight into how it used to be. Count me out;
  • Leota's head high tackle was just plain stupid. He needs to get these bain explosions out of his game. They will cost us a game at some point;
  • The forwards dominated the game for the Panthers. JFH made 37 tackles and 182m. Leota was brilliant carting the ball forward with 131m in 35 minutes and 24 tackles with no misses. If the ref had managed the ruck properly, this dominance would have led to an avalanche of points;
  • Kikau has been really quiet the last few weeks. A few more errors again and generally just going through the motions in attack. His defence was good though with 30 tackles and some big hits. Come on big fellah, fire up! We will need you in the next few weeks;
  • The Dogs pack defended well and Napa, Hetherington and Jackson returning improved their team. They will go a lot better if they can keep this pack on the field. That said, how bad is their attack? They hardly passed the ball more than one out and looked devoid of creativity. They should hire a coach with noted attacking prowess..........;
  • I have been impressed by Crichton. He has slowly improved this season as he has grown into the game. He has stared second season syndrome in the face and after initially stumbling for a few rounds, he looks like he has won the battle. I am not sure that fullback is his best position, but he is a top class centre;
  • I have been watching Staines closely every week and you can see that he has great football intelligence and a lovely passing game. Sauce couldn't score the tries Charlie does, not because of his slower speed, but because he could never anticipate where to be. Charlie goes over untouched because he positions himself perfectly, his pace is just added cream. Once his body gets stronger, he will be the one challenging for Edward's spot and I look forward to the contest.
Noticed the Dogs 5//8 and the rest of their line rushing right up. Took care of it the next play when Staines went over for Penrith's 1st.

Kilkenny

Coach
I agree it was painful to watch, but the newbie referee was guilty of making the game a poor spectacle.

Despite the rather underwhelming performance given we didn’t win by 50 plus I thought it was a pretty good performance against a side who tried there guts out.