What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 V Dogs

betcats

Referee
Would you find that acceptable from your coach if you were a Dogs fan?

Yes getting burton is a huge win. They didn’t get anyone else in any case so all he did was show his lack of class. Pretty clear from Robbo’s comments he expects it from his own assistants when they leverage the roosters success into head coach jobs for themselves, we should expect the same.

We didn’t try and make him stay or fire him when we heard he had signed elsewhere, he left with our blessing for the second time, why should he not show some respect back to us?

betcats

Referee
If the dogs actually pulled off the singings of leniu and Staines to go along with burton would you guys really be defending that? He used his relationships he formed while employed by us to try and improve the dogs. Burton was always going to be hard to keep with Jarome in his way so I can live with that but to go after everyone was poor imo.

BxTom

Bench
Respect. We gave him a job twice, let him leave early twice. He could’ve just signed burton and left the rest alone. He would not have that job If not for us.
I very much doubt he will get any work in the NRL after his treachery. Might be looking for a job commentating.

tripster

Juniors
Absolutely. They made a massive mistake getting rid of Pay. Whatever else you want to say about him, he had his limited squad putting in week on week. That's always a good sign, especially in a weak squad that isn't winning many games.

So you get rid of a coach doing a decent job, upping the degree of difficulty on a guy who's already achieved next to nothing. Where else would you go but backwards despite strengthening your squad?

The other thing that raises doubts in my mind about Barrett's head coaching credentials is his recruitment. He is going all out spending big money signing backs, when I don't think the Dogs backs are really their problem. It is their forwards. Their pack just gets completely dominated every week, and they don't score points because they don't win the field position or quick play the balls.

I reckon JAC is going to go there and end up looking a shadow of his former self behind a pack that gets flogged. I hope for his sake it doesn't ruin Burton's career.

Equally I am sure Barrett is a decent attacking coach - I have enough faith in Ivan that he wouldn't have signed him and given him that role if Ivan didn't think he was good at that job.

age.s

First Grade
If the dogs actually pulled off the singings of leniu and Staines to go along with burton would you guys really be defending that? He used his relationships he formed while employed by us to try and improve the dogs. Burton was always going to be hard to keep with Jarome in his way so I can live with that but to go after everyone was poor imo.

On a personal level? No I wouldn't. I think it'd be a classless, albeit something that probably happens much more than we realise. I imagine its how Tigers fans would feel about Ivan.

But if I'm a Dogs fan or board member (aka, the people he's now actually answering to) I'd be so sick of getting pummelled week in and out that I'd be cheering him for signing a couple of absolute guns. Assuming they start winning it'd be similar to how we feel now about Ivan.

Original Name

Juniors
Well done, you picked the one position he can’t really play to compare him too.
I can compare his effort. When he plods at a half he's about 10 kilos bigger then like whenever he almost walked at Munster in the GF in a couple of his hit ups.

Like FFS you're bigger then almost any half and every hooker bat Smith. Just run at the smallest guy and try to win the ruck when you play as a forward. It's not rocket science, no point in trying to step halves so slowly Aiden Tolman sees it and thinks jeez I've got this guy covered if he tries that step on me.
This reminds me of a chat I had a few years ago with one our ex-forwards. His child was at the same children's birthday party as mine & no one knew who he was so it was the perfect opportunity to approach him for a friendly chat.

Talked about stuff that was circulating around in the media at the time such as the 'behind the scenes' politics & factions & he was very open & candid without giving away too much of whatever he knew.

The only takeaway I recall from that 'privileged' conversation was his answer to my question about "who should I be looking out for regarding upcoming players?" & he was emphatic with his response along the lines of "keep an eye out for this kid called Fisher-Harris - he's easily the strongest & hardest player I've ever come across & that's only from training sessions. He's a bull at the gate ready to unleash! He's going to be special!!".

I dont think there's a bigger wrap to be placed than that from one of your 'senior' peers that's not a cliche comment in front of the cameras talking up a new talent. You could sense that his sentiment was a combination of resignation & awe at the same time.

We cannot discount the significant contribution that the Fish has had on this team. We need him fit & firing to complete this season (& more to come!) so hopefully his workload is managed because I daresay we need to protect him from himself because it doesnt seem like he's ready to slow down. We must do everything to ensure he remains a Panther for life.
There's a story Gus was talking with some board members during an u/20's game and he said to them watch closely you're about to see the next Penrith superstar. That set Fisher Harris ran straight over the top of his opposing second rower and knocked him out.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
I very much doubt he will get any work in the NRL after his treachery. Might be looking for a job commentating.

Yep no one is inviting that snake back into their club as an assistant. He will leave first chance he gets and try to take your best young talent with him.

Jane Murray

Bench
Complacency will be the only thing that beats us on Saturday.

If the boys play like they did last Sunday, they’ll certainly give Dodds’ 70-point margin prediction an almighty nudge.
Well the last game, in which we put on 28 unanswered point, in which the game was played in in heavy rain, and a sodden field, was impressive. Saturday, the day is suppose to be fine, the ground will be in tip top shape, and it is our home ground. The dogs are going to be in for a hiding.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don’t feel any angst towards Trent Barrett from what I could see he was entitled to make approaches to our players who were allowed to test there value on the open market.

It’s a shame we have lost Matt Burton to the Bulldogs, probably a shame for Matt Burton too given had he or his management waited it is probable his value would have increased significantly given his form in the first half of this season. It is what is really.

It’s done now, hopefully we keep our foot on the pedal and give them a touch up this Saturday afternoon leading into the difficult origin period where we could have three representatives or as many as six perhaps. I expect Nathan, Yeo and Capewell are certainties, Laui a strong chance although I think Freddie will go with with Jack Wighton (gut feeling) and Burton and Martin are outside chances.

GongPanther

Referee
I don’t feel any angst towards Trent Barrett from what I could see he was entitled to make approaches to our players who were allowed to test there value on the open market.

It’s a shame we have lost Matt Burton to the Bulldogs, probably a shame for Matt Burton too given had he or his management waited it is probable his value would have increased significantly given his form in the first half of this season. It is what is really.

It’s done now, hopefully we keep our foot on the pedal and give them a touch up this Saturday afternoon leading into the difficult origin period where we could have three representatives or as many as six perhaps. I expect Nathan, Yeo and Capewell are certainties, Laui a strong chance although I think Freddie will go with with Jack Wighton (gut feeling) and Burton and Martin are outside chances.
I think Trent's intentions were noble and true in keeping a truce as far as poaching payers from Penrith. I'm sure that he had a pact with our coach. And it's a different matter when your on the Dogs payroll, and they in no uncertain terms tell you what they want you to do.

Latest posts