What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs Roosters

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I would guess Clune comes back in at 7 with Hunt to 9 and Cam to 13.

Aitken could be out for a couple of weeks (no doubt Mc85 will try and play him), who comes in? Williame?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Wiliame in for Aitken, Clune back in, Hunt back to 9, Cam to 13. Saab in for Rava. I’d like to give Lomax a rest too but we don’t have a viable replacement, can still do a job if he has speed outside him. Love to see Sailor in for Norman but can’t see it happening. Maybe Norman could replace Lomax at centre and Sailor could play 6. Would just love to see him somehow get a chance to cement a spot and push out Norman.

getsmarty

Immortal
The Paul McGregor smoke and mirrors show

The Thursday night game against the Rabbitohs was just an extension of the Paul McGregor travelling magic show, which the St George Illawarra Dragons have been putting on over the past eight weeks.

The first two games back from the lockdown saw the Dragons almost held scoreless, while the Warriors and the Bulldogs put on 18 and 22 points respectively. That left the Red V winless after the first four rounds.

Not surprisingly, there were lots of calls for McGregor to resign, but equally unsurprisingly, the same Dragons board that inexplicably extended Mary’s contract in 2019 decided he should stay, for reasons only known to themselves.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email
The next eight rounds have seen the Dragons win four games: one against the Sharks (with plenty of Dragons fans arguing it should have been two wins), another against the Sea Eagles, who were massively down on troops, a further win against the Titans and a “Hand of God” win against the Bulldogs (I can see Marcelo Montoya dropping that pass – still feel for him).

Along the way, we’ve been treated to some great attacking football, with Matt Dufty in career-best form, Adam Clune doing some very good things at halfback, Ben Hunt coming back into some pretty fair form and Zac Lomax showing why he could be a world-class centre.

All of these positives are hiding a simple truth. The Dragons have won four games this season, sit on eight competition points and have no chance of making the finals unless a major miracle occurs.

More to the point, since the start of the 2019 season, the Dragons have played 36 NRL games and won 12. That’s a 33 per cent win rate.

paul-mcgregor-disappointed-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

Sure, the side has scored some terrific tries, but it’s still lost games. Yes, the efforts against the Panthers, Roosters and Raiders were gutsy, but the team still lost.

It’s very easy to buy into the notion that the side’s improving when it strings a couple of wins together, but this a distraction from reality. That is, the team is losing far more games than it wins.

And all the while, the coach who is not guiding the team to victories, but to eight losses this season, keeps his job and the criticism that should be directed his way has largely fallen silent, mostly because there are other high profile teams who are playing worse than the Dragons.

There are eight rounds to play in the 2020 season and the Dragons have a realistic chance to win exactly three games against the Cowboys, Titans and Broncos.

The other games against the Roosters, Eels, Raiders, Knights and Storm will hopefully be played with the same newfound flair that we’ve seen recently, but the results will be the same: losses. They might be gutsy losses, or hard fought losses, but they will still register zero competition points.

When the dust has settled on season 2020, I’m guessing the Dragons will end up on 14 competition points, which should be good enough for 11th or 12th. Many will think this is a great result given where the Red V finished last year and especially if the side continues to play an exciting brand of attacking footy.

The reality will be a team of enormous talent, in two seasons, has won 15 games out of 44.

This should be considered a disgraceful outcome, but will that result in the coach losing his job? Probably not, because McGregor the Magician will no doubt have more smoke to blow to cover up for his and the squad’s failings.

And thanks to the magic of his contract extension, Dragons fans can look forward to more of the same in season 2021.

Roar Rookie
August 1st 2020 @ 10:36am
The Dragons will have to go through some pain before things get better.

Mary isn’t the man and I don’t think that Flanagan’s doubtful past qualify him to build a strong team. Hard to have a “no dickheads” policy with Flanagan in charge.

In terms of their playing roster there are a lot of guys just going through the motions.

1. Vaughan’s numbers look okay on paper but he doesn’t dominate the opposition in defence and often takes the easier hit ups late in the count.
2. Tariq Sims is a shadow of his former self – perhaps he’s injured.
3. Frizell is predictable in attack and doesn’t have the impact that got him into the rep teams.
4. Kerr, Host, Lawrie and Ford are good young forwards who haven’t yet fulfilled their potential.
5. There’s no point in keeping Norman – hard to see what he brings to the team.
6. The Dragons perform far better with Hunt at dummy half and that raises some questions about how to get the best out of McInnes.
7. Lomax and Dufty have improved greatly on last year and hopefully will be there for some time.
8. Aitken tries hard but doesn’t really possess the ski;;s required to be a top flight centre and is probably too small for the forwards.
9. Pereira and Ravalawa are run of the mill and neither have enough pace in may opinion.

It will be interesting to see how the Dragons recruitment and retention unfolds over the next six months.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/08/01/the-paul-mcgregor-smoke-and-mirrors-show/

P.S Thankyou @Smurf

Dragonslayer

First Grade
When we last played Roosters:

No Tedesco
No Josh Morris

Radley played 7mins
Verills played 22mins
Liu played 22 mins

For 58 mins they played with 1 on the bench.

They are 4th on the ladder they could drop to as low as 7th if they lose today, but can go no further than 4th with a win.
They won't be 'resting' players for our game. It's the run to the finals now.

blacksafake

First Grade
Watching the roosters play the titans now we can only hope they play against us like this.
Obviously Robinson will have them ready for us.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I reckon we are not without hope. I remember us beating the Roosters with McCrone at halfback. Anything is possible.

hewi

Bench
Just home from the roosters Titans game, the Titans could have won this they impressed me. Two players in the bin , two try’s disallowed , two penalties from in front where they didn’t take the kick for two. IMO they won’t get the spoon . As for us if the roosters play like this next week they are there for the plucking, will we do it? I doubt it.

qld redvee

Juniors
I would just love to have sailor at 6 with corey playing the role of 5 minute super sub
also like to see Kaide ellis given a run .. we brought him as grahams replacement so use him .. If he looks good sign him for another year with option in our favour . If we dont play him then why did we buy him ?? Clune back to 7 with hunt hooker cam lock .

Cogburn

Juniors
The Roosters had 8 top liners out today and still won, If we have 8 out next week, you're 50-50.