Round 14 V Dogs

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Dragonslayer, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Lovemedragons

Lovemedragons Juniors

and the refs already struggle to read the game, what hope with them now reading players minds! Just another stupid, ill thought through 'change on the run' by the NRL....fools.

2. Lovemedragons

Lovemedragons Juniors

i think the jury is still out on whether that change actually fixed any perceived weaknesses, having a winger on the bench is a real weakness. Mann is a bit faster maybe but he is legless when the ball is kicked to him, proved that when he was tried at fullback a couple of years back, Lomax, when fit, is a much better option if indeed Nightingale has to go, frankly I would shed Nene before Nighty,

3. giboz71

giboz71 Bench

And despite this we are still first. As you say, it’s a pretty fair effort given it’s not really a level playing field.

I agree if we’re playing like this in the semis, we’ll be out in straight sets if we make it at all.

But there’s plenty of time left with many twists and turns to come. Said it elsewhere, no point peaking now, it will be too hard to maintain come September.

We had our good run at the beginning of the year and now we’re having our down period which we all knew would come eventually. At least we’re still banking wins.

And perhaps the use of 15-16 players now is to put miles in their legs for the big games to come? It’s pretty handy having your key forwards used to playing big minutes come the semis is it not?

4. SEAT 1A

SEAT 1A Juniors

True, not much traffic was sent Mann's way. To early too see if the change stopped the Dogs targeting that wing or they couldn't get to that position in the first place.

Agree with having a winger on the bench isn't the best option however, Nighty is either starts or comes off the bench.

Lovemedragons likes this.
  5. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

Nene drives me insane, always out of position.
    Nighty cops a lot for not being able to score long range tries, but when has Nene been in the correct position to catch a pass and streak away downfield, sure he can produce the freak put down, but he lets the side down by never being there to receive a normal pass.

Let’s not forget the Bulldogs scored down his edge when was caught in midfield and not on his wing where he should have been,

Dragsters likes this.
  6. st penguin

st penguin Juniors

I’ve got Foxtel streaming now - much better value.

Drag Queen likes this.
  7. Drag Queen

Drag Queen Juniors

I stream all the NRL through the Telstra App. Doesn't cost me anything and have had zero problems with it so far.

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  8. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

Coulda, shoulda, didn't.

Considering the publicity surrounding the topic, it was a pretty dumb move, fraught with danger.

9. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

He left the Storm because he isn't a centre.

10. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

You make that sound exceptionally raunchy.

11. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

I could only read up to "what" in your riposte before losing interest.

Apologies.

12. West coast dragon

West coast dragon Bench

He left the storm because we gave him more money

dragonssamy61 and blacksafake like this.
  13. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

Allegedly.

Mann still isn't a winger.

In fact if my memory serves me correctly, Bellamy was once quoted in saying that if Melbourne hadn't been so well off in the halves, Mann wouldn't have been in the centres while at his previous club.

14. West coast dragon

West coast dragon Bench

That may be the case it’s just my opinion he’d be better suited to Center in our side!

15. Drag Queen

Drag Queen Juniors

Meh, I've been accused of the same thing. Nighty has never been known for his speed. He's uncoordinated but effective with his skills. F**k em.

16. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

Exceptional or raunchy?

17. Drag Queen

Drag Queen Juniors

I'm a diehard fan so I'll say exceptional. I wouldn't mind the raunchy though ;)

18. rednwhites

rednwhites Juniors

It's felt like just about every single game this year has been a pivotal game and a litmus test of our prospects - the Dogs game was no different. Looking back, we waited for what felt like a month to make up for the Panthers drubbing and what we got dished up, with a full strength team against a weakened Dogs, was patchy at best and altogether underwhelming. A penalty got us over the line and the 2 comp points, which is a thin line between being yet again hopeful with a cloud of uncertainty and downright panic stations. What it means to me is that we haven't really learnt from years gone by and we haven't become the dominant and professional team that we caught a phantasm of at the start of the year. We are not ramming home an advantage that we have worked so hard for.

The good news is that year after year there are surprises. There is such a thing as peaking too early, there are always twists and turns, bad and good fortune, there is always the unexpected. I tend to agree there are teams that will have our measure at finals time. I was hoping we could really turn it on against a weak but plucky Bulldogs and instead got another McGregor special.

19. Crush

Crush Bench

Tend to agree with a lot of this.
    I think we may get a boost with a solid win against Manly. We need to put on a display just to get confidence back up again. Way too many drop balls at the moment.

20. Objective View

Objective View Juniors

Not that Mary has any.

Straight Shooter