What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 v Raiders

chrisD

Coach
Very poor game from John, Walsh average too. Attacking kicking game was very poor and then the few times it wasn't the defence on the kick chase was poor,, Brown and Robinson the prime offenders. Even so, not too bad an effort all things considered.

Abacus

Juniors
Very poor game from John, Walsh average too. Attacking kicking game was very poor and then the few times it wasn't the defence on the kick chase was poor,, Brown and Robinson the prime offenders. Even so, not too bad an effort all things considered.

A bit harsh on John - he only tends to get scraps from Walsh. For a set in the 2nd half it looked as though Segeyaro had clicked to the fact that if the Panthers wanted to score the ball would need to be kept from Walsh as much as possible.

A few missed opportunities tonight could have given a different result, particularly Docker not passing close to the line & Simmons not attacking Walsh's cross-kick.

Anyhow may be interesting to see what happens next week should Walsh's injury keep him out - John at 7 & Moylan at 6 perhaps?

chrisD

Coach
John had 7 kicks, unless I'm misremembering no long kicks, all attacking, one was good, all the rest were shit.

Abacus

Juniors
And the rest of John's game? The only time we look dangerous in attack is when the ball comes through his hands. Unfortunately the kicking game from all the Panthers was poor tonight.

mxlegend99

Referee
And the rest of John's game? The only time we look dangerous in attack is when the ball comes through his hands. Unfortunately the kicking game from all the Panthers was poor tonight.
Agreed. John looked very likely most of the time when he got the ball. Walsh not so much... Actually thought his best strength tonight was his defence. Looked to put his body on the line a few times. Wish Travis Robinson had that sort of commitment.

franklin2323

Immortal

He set up the 1st try that's it.

So many half chances wasted can't blame Walsh for everything. Docker had Whare & Simmons unmarked took the tackle.

Our kick chase was poor. As I expected once we got players resigned we play poor.

Only Whare & Simmons looked likely just like last week. We did well to hang in there had good completion, Disclipline again were beaten by a team wanting it more.

mxlegend99

Referee
Last week we really missed Moylan. Both weeks we have really missed Grant. Him in the side with no Ciraldo is a ridiculous improvement. Our front row is twice as good. When/if we have Grant, Plum, McKendry and Masoe/Latimore our pack matches any.

franklin2323

Immortal
Actually. I don't think our pack was too bad tonight. Kick chase being poor was the main problem. We had them pinned so many times only'to let them out with poor chase.

Panther Pete

Juniors
The intensity and enthusiasm we had when won 3 in a row just wasnt there tonight. Our line speed was poor, not enough numbers in tackles and as others mentioned our kick chase was poor although I though Walsh put it in a number of decent clearing kicks to at least get us out of trouble when we were struggling to make 30 meters a set when working it off our line. IMO, Travis Robinson simply looked like he didn't want to be out there.

what ever

Juniors
Actually. I don't think our pack was too bad tonight. Kick chase being poor was the main problem. We had them pinned so many times only'to let them out with poor chase.

Agreed with the team not being involved in the chase. But with some previous replies do not feel that you can blame a individual. A number of kicks could have resulted in tries if they had chasers, even with the ones that went dead. Certainly think the effort was there.

Graftonpanther

Juniors
The players were there on the kick chase they just made some atrocious attempts at tackling Reece Robinson when he was running the ball back.

If we tackle Reece Robinson on the first attempt after a kick then we put a lot more pressure on Canberra by keeping them pinned down on their own 20/30.

Some of our last tackle kicks were poor as well, I don't think we achieved one repeat set the whole game from a good 5th tackle kick.

Yeah I don't think any one player was to blame for that loss, overall the TEAM played down on what they have done over the past month, I was hoping for a bit of a bounce back after being embarrassed by the Tigers last week but did not happen.

Over all Canberra seemed to want it more, we weren't disgraced but we had could have won the game if we wanted it as bad as Canberra imo.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
We were very unlucky last night in a lot of circumstances.

If Docker doesn't get tackled by a freakish tackle 1m out it is 24-12 at the time.

If Moylan doesn't get called for that BS knock on that lead to their second try and if the video ref wasn't an incompetent f**k for their 3rd try it was essentially 12-all when they are pretty much fully fit while we still have significant injuries.

Meet them again, fully fit, we take em imo.

I think we couldn't match their size last night.

We spent so much energy defending their big guys that we had nothing left in the tank.

Plum is a glorified second rower playing prop, he's not a genuine prop body-wise but he handles his business so he wasn't the issue.

Masoe is an impact player, not a starter and then playing Ciraldo and Newton at prop is enough to be said.

The sooner Grant comes back the better and hopefully Latimore gets some match fitness the next two weeks and is ready.

Last edited:

meek

Juniors
thought Travis was overawed by playing his brother - just didn't look the same player who took that fantastic catch on the sideline the other week - IMO responsible for the first two tries.
Walsh I thought was hopeless - did nothing in setting up play -
Segeyaro needs more game time - sorry keeping the Kingston on when segayaro comes on doesn't work - Kingston back to Windsor .
Need to figure out a way for Moss to come in - maybe to replace Robinson if possible.
Ciraldo , Newton where crap as usual - while these two buffoons are in our run on squad we would struggle to beat emu plains.LOL
I thought Johns went okay - hopefully next week Johns and moylan halves and maybe Moss fullback if not on the wing instead of Travis.
anyway my opinion

Agree Missed Grant big time

Pomoz

Bench
Last week we really missed Moylan. Both weeks we have really missed Grant. Him in the side with no Ciraldo is a ridiculous improvement. Our front row is twice as good. When/if we have Grant, Plum, McKendry and Masoe/Latimore our pack matches any.
I was thinking the exact same thing. The Raiders were dominant in the forwards but we still gave them a run for their money. If we had those guys, I think we would have won.

franklin2323

Immortal
Big Mick. I think the Docker try was him bombing when not passing. Though the rest agree 100% also remember the kick to Simmons? A better bounce he scores. Their 1st try came after we failed to pin Robinson ingoal there was 3 of us there. Terrible things like that make a huge difference when you are down a few forwards.

murraymob

Coach
our real problem i see is our zero line speed in defence.We just dont move up at all.The point of contact is good but if you give them 10 meters before the tackle .You then have them in bombing position at the end.We spend so much energy and time just getting away from our own try line

Sowards long range kicking game will help us a lot next year.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Last nite I saw two things that you don't often see from us. A Luke Walsh hit-up and an offload from Plum. Seg was good when he came on and Simmons, docker and Moylan played well.

maple_69

Bench
I dont think we need wholesale changes. Someone said it earlier, we spent so much energy trying to match the forwards that the intensity was down on the one percenters like kick chase, wrapping up the ball etc. Plum, Masoe, Ciraldo and Newton is the worst prop rotation we've fielded in over a decade, but they had a good crack.
A few positional comments. Mansour isn't a centre. He was constantly rushing out of the line last night creating space before he switched to wing. Matt Robinson is back to the form he was in at the end of last season. Really liking what he's doing at the moment.

Any word on the seriousness of Masoe's injury? Would be laughable if he was out for a while..

Kilkenny

Coach
I dont think we need wholesale changes. Someone said it earlier, we spent so much energy trying to match the forwards that the intensity was down on the one percenters like kick chase, wrapping up the ball etc. Plum, Masoe, Ciraldo and Newton is the worst prop rotation we've fielded in over a decade, but they had a good crack.
A few positional comments. Mansour isn't a centre. He was constantly rushing out of the line last night creating space before he switched to wing. Matt Robinson is back to the form he was in at the end of last season. Really liking what he's doing at the moment.

Any word on the seriousness of Masoe's injury? Would be laughable if he was out for a while..[/QUOTE

I agree Maple. Given our start, try from a bomb in first couple of minutes, they had possession for entire first 10 minutes, video refs decisions again going against us, coupled of bombed tries I thought we had a crack against a big side who are incredibly hard to beat at home. A couple of inclusions and few positional changes and I think we could field a stronger 17. No major changes necessary or possible given our injury woes. If Walsh is out I would move Moylan to 5/8 and bring up Moss (if salary cap allows). It would be could to have some real pace from the fullback position both in defence and attach and Moss would certainly provide that. Moss wasn't resigned for three years to simply play for Windsor and I know the club believes he has what it takes to be a success at NRL level.

Last edited: