What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 Vs Sharks

WestyLife

First Grade
Be honest here, does any one have an inkling why May has not being named in the top side, yes I know he is on the reverses, or why he hasn't been named in the cup side?

No idea but Brandy calling him out on TV wasn't a good sign.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I’m not so sure, he is a natural footy player, very solid defensively and is a more than useful utility player. He’s just not your starting number 7 or a starting centre but can fill four or five positions as the utility. There is a difference.

We'll see, I guess.

Kilkenny

Coach
It wasn't a poor game, it was an exposing of his ability. It was the first game in which he was truly tested and he was shown to obviously not be able to read the attack coming at him or understand what should have been his positioning. He had over half a season to learn and get a feel for things in a dominant defensive line, but when it came to the crunch he was shown to simply not understand what he was supposed to be doing. He was random and panicked and that couldn't be taken into the GF against the Storm.

May held the defensive line ok, that one try the winger was going out and chucked it back inside without any control and it worked out for them. That sort of shit happens, especially for the scum, but it wasn't like the line got caught out of position.

Another option for Naden would have been perfect, having such an easy run in made that hard, but yeah he should have had one.
It is a balancing act Chris. What does a player bring to the side overall offensively as opposed to perhaps any perecieved flaws he may have defensively. Naden prior to the Semi Final againgst the Roosters had for the most part been very good which was why he was first choice centre in 19 games. On the back of the Roosters Semi Final our coach dumped Naden and brought in Tyrone May who I stand to be corrected but had basically never played the position. I will never be persuaded it was the correct call, it was a knee jerk reaction and despite what anyone thinks about Brent Nadens ability or otherwise he was instrumental in our long run of victories and discarded at at at a critical time. It’s largely history now so it’s really immaterial.

Kilkenny

Coach
We'll see, I guess.

I understand where your coming from and I agree if we are struggling for salary cap space then clearly sentiment should not play a part.

Given how challenging the salary cap is, personally I think his money would be best spent elsewhere and we find ourselves another utility.

I do think though he will find another club, just not at any of the top four or six clubs.

franklin2323

Immortal
That may also be a valid point but Naden was considered part of our best 13 for 19 games and was dumped off the back of a couple of errors. I wonder what Ivan would have done if he had his time over.

Watch the Sharks game we won 54-24. Some terrible misses from Naden so it was it coming

Well given Burton is centre now. Likely put him in

I’m not so sure, he is a natural footy player, very solid defensively and is a more than useful utility player. He’s just not your starting number 7 or a starting centre but can fill four or five positions as the utility. There is a difference.
I agree. I think it is very useful to have a player that can come in and play the position needed (in the event of an injury) without having to reshuffle the team. Helps with cohesion.

The game against the Storm where he played fullback was a great example. Is he a class fullback? No, there were probably 2 or 3 better fullbacks in the team that day playing in other positions. But is was valuable to keep the rest of the team in their respective positions rather than having to move them around.

The_Frog

First Grade
I think the club ruined May by turning him into a forward, before the bulk he was a genuinely an elusive ball runner with a good passing game. These days he's a tortoise with no impact when running the ball. Should slim back down and make a go of five eighth somewhere in reggies with the hope of playing first grade.
I think his best chance of having a first grade career from here on is as a 14.

Kilkenny

Coach
Watch the Sharks game we won 54-24. Some terrible misses from Naden so it was it coming

Well given Burton is centre now. Likely put him in
The whole narrative around our GF loss or two most recent losses is to lay the blame around one or two individuals.

We lost the GF, primarily because the Storm were the better team.

Tyrone May has been a convenient scapegoat for our last two losses but it shouldn’t mask the fact we haven’t been good enough.

At the end of the day we have a really tough game on Friday night, without Kikau, who hasn’t been in the best of form anyway.

It shapes up as a really interesting contest and it will be very interesting to see how we perform.

The_Frog

First Grade
Tyrone May has been a convenient scapegoat for our last two losses but it shouldn’t mask the fact we haven’t been good enough.
It has always been thus, as long as there has been a Panthers forum. I could make a list of them but won't.

Kilkenny

Coach
It has always been thus, as long as there has been a Panthers forum. I could make a list of them but won't.
We were on a high around our supposed depth but the fact is we have been exposed this past two weeks.

Two losses against sides who will not likely figure in the top eight was disappointing which ever spin you want to put on it.