What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 V Roosters

mxlegend99

Referee
Storm should have taught Momo how to f**k 2 on 1 situations like Crichton does and how to read defences like Naden, that's how players get rated around here.
Momo cant create a 2 on 1 situation because he gets the ball and jogs to the sideline where he is smothered by defence and Staines has no space at all.

29 games for 4 clubs for Paul Momirovski. 5 try assists. 6 games in Storm backline for 1 try assist. He has 18 tries though because his instinct is to run. Not pass

You have got to be trolling or something. He's an absolutely f**king useless centre and you're usually a tough marker on players.

Crichton hasn't been much better. But he's out of form which we all know and if he recaptures form his best is about a thousand times better than Momirovski.

martielang

Bench
Crichton's a much better prospect than Momo for sure and he would be my preference at right centre, but people relentlessly pile on Momo for the simple fact it gives Staines an excuse for going like a busted.

The amount of times last year I heard 'Staines would've taken that half chance that Mansour couldn't' and now it's clearly not happening that way, those people need a scapegoat. Enter Paul M.

mxlegend99

Referee
Crichton's a much better prospect than Momo for sure and he would be my preference at right centre, but people relentlessly pile on Momo for the simple fact it gives Staines an excuse for going like a busted.

The amount of times last year I heard 'Staines would've taken that half chance that Mansour couldn't' and now it's clearly not happening that way, those people need a scapegoat. Enter Paul M.
When Staines starts getting half chances and bombing them you might have a point. Funnily enough Mansour would be better outside Momirovski as his biggest asset was metres after contact.

Staines has scored more tries outside Momirovski than any other winger to play outside of him. Stats kind of prove the point.

Momirovski has scored 18 tries. But only set up 5. If there's anything on he goes for it himself. His wingers are usually an afterthought and very rarely does he leave them with even a half chance as he has usually tried it for himself.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I want to know what it is that Staines brings to the side. I've only seen him play this season, obviously, but he seems... limited in attack. He's not a great broken field runner, he's not strong, he's not dominant in the air. He also hasn't shown athleticism to get the ball down in a difficult position, but that could just be that he hasn't been in the position to do that yet, so I'll give that a pass. He seems to exist to finish simple overlaps. Am I missing something?

franklin2323

Immortal

No May or him this week...I wonder who will be the new scapegoat

franklin2323

Immortal
I want to know what it is that Staines brings to the side. I've only seen him play this season, obviously, but he seems... limited in attack. He's not a great broken field runner, he's not strong, he's not dominant in the air. He also hasn't shown athleticism to get the ball down in a difficult position, but that could just be that he hasn't been in the position to do that yet, so I'll give that a pass. He seems to exist to finish simple overlaps. Am I missing something?

Nope got it spot on

franklin2323

Immortal
Scapegoat implies the criticism is unfair. May particularly deserved it, any halfback in the comp would if they played like that.

He topped the tackle count v Tigers. Without knowing tactics hard to put it all on him. Like Burton did all the 5th tackle kicking both weeks even with Api back. So I standby my scapegoat comment

WestyLife

First Grade
He topped the tackle count v Tigers. Without knowing tactics hard to put it all on him. Like Burton did all the 5th tackle kicking both weeks even with Api back. So I standby my scapegoat comment

It's not all on him but individual criticism is as warranted for May as it is for Staines. There's also just as much justification for why Staines has been the way he has as May in those two games.

Kilkenny

Coach
Yes. Not sure what, but must surely be missing something.

mxlegend99

Referee
People really need to look up the term scapegoat... No one is being used a scapegoat, their performance are being discussed FFS.
Yep. And it was judged and discussed long before we lost a game this season. So it's not an 'oh shit we lost, let's blame this guy'.

We're not blaming any one person specifically for the losses. Only calling out poor performances. Which has been for just about every player.

Kilkenny

Coach
People really need to look up the term scapegoat... No one is being used a scapegoat, their performance are being discussed FFS.
The definition is open to interpretation I guess but at the end of the day we weren’t good enough againgst the tigers and Sharks.

Probably the thing that shouldn’t be be lost in this debate is the fact we enjoyed longest winning streaks in our clubs history.

Something which we should be very proud of.

It was great while it lasted and we somehow have to dig deep and get a win on Friday night.

Munky

Coach

He has insane pace yet doesn't seem to want to stretch out, the only time I recall seeing it this year was in a sprint vs JAC to knock a ball dead earlier this year.

Without using his speed he is a good finisher on the end of the backline however a borderline liability running the ball back after a kick since he is getting dragged back every tackle.

Munted

Bench
We should get the W over the Roosters with Jarome and Nathan creating space and putting players into gapes.
Something we missed dearly v Tigers and Sharks. Far too much 1 out play and limited opportunities for the likes of Staines to finish off, and i think thats what we have to accept as well. Right now we have quite a few blokes capable of finishing off slick moves by a few key players in the team, but take them away and they struggle to create on their own.
Onwards and upwards pricks.

Black Diamond

Juniors
He was a standout in Cup. I couldn't wait for him to get his break in FG. However, he was playing fullback not winger. He worked extremely well with Burto when Burto was 6 and he was 1. Maybe he should be be outside Burton.

maple_69

Bench
Staines reads the game really well and is obviously a smart footy player. His decisions in defence are normally spot on and his positioning and timing on the end of backline movements is great. Hes also shown flashes of silky hands in very limited opportunities. Then he’s obviously shown in flashes very good pace.

Those attributes are why he’s been great at fullback in lower grades and I’d say why he’s had a free run on the wing even though he’s been very patchy. Put 5kg on and build some confidence in his body to not fall apart and he’s a great prospect.

I would not mind seeing Naden in his place at least for a few weeks.

hindy111

Post Whore
Size isn't the issue. Playing poorly is.

Lets compare him to JAC on the weekend

Staines:

10 runs.
73m gained.
3 tackle busts
5 tackles. 3 missed ( 1 led to a try)
2 errors

JAC

78m
3 tackle breaks
1 try
1 try assist
1 line break assist
9 tackles. 0 missed
0 errors

JAC even without the try and try assist is performing. No issue if the same could be said for Staines

JAC is hugely overated. He has speed but unless gets in clear offers little. Toò is far more important to a side.

GongPanther

Referee
I was at the first of those games, a 38-6 win over the Roosters at the Sports Ground, same score as the semi a week later.

The Manly game went for 100 minutes. It was their Grand Final. Parra only had to turn up.

Actually we've played at the SCG 3 times since then. '86 and '87, both vs Dragons, when they were using it as a home ground, and round 24 vs Roosters in 2019.
Thanks for that.