What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 V Roosters

The_Frog

First Grade
Craig Gower was the best player in 2003 as a halfback and yet he was always a better Hooker than Halfback.
The decision was made after we'd just run last to bring in a quality hooker and move him to half. Two years later we won the premiership. You could hardly call it a mistake moving him.

Kilkenny

Coach
The decision was made after we'd just run last to bring in a quality hooker and move him to half. Two years later we won the premiership. You could hardly call it a mistake moving him.
Gowie and Brandy have been our standout number 7’s, Nathan may well surpass one or both although he is more in the Gowie mould as opposed to Brandy. Brandy in his hey day was electrifying even if it was an entirely different game back in those days. Three fine half backs and Nathan is still only starting really so hopefully his best is in front of him.

Smug Panther

First Grade
A few weeks off for Kikau might be exactly what he needs.
Id be tempted to start Eisenhuth and bring Leota off the bench for impact. Could also start Martin at prop and back Tago in the backrow

Girds89

Bench
Ivan has picked probably the best 17.

I think kenny is deserving of the 14.

Sorensen has probably been a touch better than spencer.

Only one who could consider himself unlucky is r jennings. I certainly dont think staines has done enough to warrant automatic selection yet but it seems that is the case at the moment.

I think this will be a really tough game. Roosters and the storm have been very good with lots of players out/origin/big disruptions.

We were unable to handle it last two weeks. Hopefully we can get back on track on friday night.

WestyLife

First Grade
Ivan has picked probably the best 17.

I think kenny is deserving of the 14.

Sorensen has probably been a touch better than spencer.

Only one who could consider himself unlucky is r jennings. I certainly dont think staines has done enough to warrant automatic selection yet but it seems that is the case at the moment.

I think this will be a really tough game. Roosters and the storm have been very good with lots of players out/origin/big disruptions.

We were unable to handle it last two weeks. Hopefully we can get back on track on friday night.

Staines selection is most likely a developmental thing getting him to soak up first grade. Some here thought he was the long term fullback.

The Realist

Juniors
What the Hell is happening with Spencer Leniu? Sure he had an ordinary game against the Tigers, but he has shown more than Sorensen or Hopgood. There has to be something more to it then simply 'performance'. He is no reserve grader.

Smug Panther

First Grade
What the Hell is happening with Spencer Leniu? Sure he had an ordinary game against the Tigers, but he has shown more than Sorensen or Hopgood. There has to be something more to it then simply 'performance'. He is no reserve grader.
Well he's been playing at reserve grade standard all year imo. He's capable of much better

WestyLife

First Grade

Franklin said he played 60 minutes in reserves last week so likely getting his fitness up.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Match preview. Fingers crossed for a victory.

Unfortunately for the Roosters, this is probably the round the Panthers are drawing a line in the sand saying "enough is enough".
After losing two on the trot without their Origin players, the dynamic duo of Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai will be back in the halves alongside their link-man Isaah Yeo at lock to right the good ship Penrith.

A proud side that won 12 in a row won't want to lose three straight, and instead will be focused on restoring normal transmission. The Panthers normally only concede eight points a match but last week dropped 19 against the Sharks and 26 to the Wests Tigers the week before.

Match: Panthers v Roosters​

ROUND 15 - FRIDAY 18TH JUNE
7:55pm

The rundown​

Team news​

Panthers: Nathan Cleary (facial laceration) has been named to return alongside the rest of Penrith's Origin contingent but Viliame Kikau (hamstring) has missed a place in the 21-man squad.
Matt Burton shifts back to the centres and Tyrone May goes to the reserves to make way for Cleary and Jarome Luai in the halves while back-rowers Isaah Yeo, Kurt Capewell and Liam Martin replace Scott Sorensen (interchange), J'maine Hopgood (reserves) and Kikau.
Rookie second-rower Izack Tago has retained his place on the interchange and will play his third NRL game if he makes the match-day 17.

Roosters: Sam Verrills (eye) makes his long-awaited comeback on the interchange in place of suspended dummy-half Ben Marschke (dangerous contact, two weeks).
Joseph Suaalii returns to the reserves with James Tedesco reclaiming the No.1 jersey while Sio Siua Taukeiaho is back in the front row after missing last week's last-gasp win which sees Fletcher Baker drop to the bench.
Halfback Sam Walker (shoulder) has been named as expected but Freddy Lussick (arm) will have to wait at least another week to return.

franklin2323

Immortal
No result through or before the Origin period has any bearing on a teams premiership chances. Unless they concede 50.

Be interesting to see what effect a couple of losses has had on the team though. A lot of frauds have been found out. But it just gives us longer to fix our issues that Cleary, Luai and Yeo were able to hide.

That is the positive. Guys got found wanting so will have pressure on them

franklin2323

Immortal
Very curious to see how we run out.
I doubt we go with a hooker, Centre, 2nd row and prop on the bench.

Curious where Ivan plays May in NSW Cup and what he sees him as. Surely not a 7... which will beg the question why he played there

The Realist

Juniors

Didn't say it was a mistake, at least not then but solely for him as a player and our team after 2004 it was not a good long term call. He'd have performed better at No.9 but credit to him he performed well when shifted to #7.

I am sure Cam Smith would have also been a great #7 and even won premierships there. He was a better #9. I would contend that if Gower had been 10 years younger and played in the 2010's - a good coach would have had him play #9. In the modern game a Hooker that can kick is very handy.

I remember a game back in 2005 when Priddis came off injured. Gower shifted to #9 and Campbell to #7 and we instantly looked like a better team.

I think having both Gower and Priddis in the team was a blessing and a curse. As a pair we hung onto them for too long. Lang's biggest flaw was he was too sentimental and not ruthless enough.

franklin2323

Immortal
Happy to see May and Momirovski dropped. Starting side looks much better. Happy to see Tago and Kenny on bench but its not a very intimidating bench.

Kikau in fixes it a bit. But we definitely need another quality forward and for Leniu to find form. Should be good to do a job on a depleted Roosters side. But not sure we can match Storm at their best.

Except for Staines it is an in form side. I doubt we run out 1-17 like that in Round 25

mxlegend99

Referee
Agreed.

Even while winning I felt some guys were cruising by. Take out the form players and you get a better idea of who can offer what.

Kikau only oy because of injury. But I would like to think he was demoted to bench at least for his form too. Sure he has offered more than others last 2 weeks. But nowhere near what he's capable of. Certainly didnt aim up like Fish did.

Except for Staines it is an in form side. I doubt we run out 1-17 like that in Round 25
I dont think anyone on the bench has proven form. Kenny has shown more than May. Tago has shown a bit of brilliance. Huth and Sorensen have just been plodders.

The Realist

Juniors

I don't mind a bit of 'weeding', but it is concerning that some of the 'plants' that you thought were important to the 'garden' turn out to be more of a 'weed' instead. The form of Edwards and Kikau is of particular concern!

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't mind a bit of 'weeding', but it is concerning that some of the 'plants' that you thought were important to the 'garden' turn out to be more of a 'weed' instead. The form of Edwards and Kikau is of particular concern

Edwards has barely played so the next month is huge for him
Kikau. We have gone back to using him as a battering ram. The few weeks off will help the team address that

Fangs

Coach
I like the rotation. May and Leinu have been in pretty bad form. No reason to carry them when you've got high energy players like Kenny and Tago pushing their claims.

Latest posts