What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Eels Discussion + Voting

Dazzat

First Grade
Kenny's defence can be outstanding, but let's be real, his hit-ups are some of the worst in the league. He tries to make up with his lack of speed and power with a hit-and-spin, but it rarely comes off. He often gets bent backwards in tackles, and rarely off-loads.

I guess he attempts to make up for this with off-field leadership, and being the senior prop at the club. At best he's a bench player to come on and stiffen up defence ... other than that ... wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Hoffman try saving tackle on Hindmarsh. Ben Teo’s hit on the show pony (hayne). Thought the defence was good lots of good shots. Teo, Gillet and Sims. Dodds fantastic defence, needs to improve his go forward however seems to stop when he hits the line looks like he doesn’t fight to go forward. Parker work rate fantastic as always. Matt Gillet was fantastic we look so dangerous when he gets the ball in his hands. Folau needs to get more involved in attack (i’d like to see Hoffman trailing Folau because he attracts so many defenders, if he could get an offload to Hoffman the pair of them could be really dangerous) When he got involved in the second side we looked far more dangerous. Yow Yeh needs to improve his decisions when fielding kicks. Some odd decisions made by the refs regarding forward passes. Impressed by Parramatta back rower Horro i think his name was and Kris Keating. Great defensive performance. Good Win by the boys.
2 Folau
1 Parker
No standout performances

Ghoulies

Bench
3. Folau
2. Teo
1. Thaiday

Not a very inspiring attacking display by either side, but our defense was impressive nonetheless. Hopefully Lockyer can lift to his form of pre-origin 2 by finals time, because that's our only shot at winning this comp. Wallace and our hooker rotation just seem to lack the creativity to generate enough points for us against the better defensive sides.

screeder

Juniors
Defence was very impressive, attack wasn;t too bad as credit has to be given to a decent Parra defence imo

beads6

First Grade
Will take that win! Need to find our attitude again we look a bit tired and not as enthusiastic.

DeeJ

Bench
I can't believe how poor our back three looked tonight when taking bombs. Winterstein has never been good at taking them in defense and I hope this doesn't get exploited in future games. Otherwise our defense was really impressive, I thought when Dodds came on he made some really excellent tackles. Also good to see Kenny at almost 100% and he didn't get forced back once tonight.

No standouts so I'll spread the points:

1 Folau - always looked strong running the ball, just needs to see more of it
1 Parker - usual workhorse did nice to set up that try by running a great line then passing at just the right moment
1 Dodds - I thought his defence in the middle was tremendous
1 Kenny - almost back to his best, made alot of good runs in the middle
1 Thaiday - tireless Thaiday
1 Gillett - his offloading ability is incredible

Last edited:

cornerposter

Juniors
Not the prettiest of wins, but certainly gutsy. I couldn't believe how poor those refs were. Not only the bad decisions, but how much the slimies were allowed to lie in the ruck. It was a bit dumb of us to not do the same thing really. Anyway, points go to:

3 Sammy
2 Teo
1 Tronc

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Kenny dominated hitting the ball up tonight. Lets hope he can keep that up and get his game time back to what it previously was.

AuDragon

Juniors
I'm really happy with the win, because although we were dominated in ball possession, field position and abominable ref calls, we hung in there, defended superbly and scored surgically.
After the Panthers game where we came close, it was good to get this gritty win against a desperate Eels team.
It’s important to get these wins when we’re not on song!

We definitely lacked forward meters, and Sims was probably the most enterprising, while very unlucky with 2 atrocious referee calls. Hopefully Anderson will be back next week, because Kenny isn’t doing much either in attack or defense, while Dodds puts in a solid defense at least.

Individually, Lockyer, Hoffman, Te’o, Folau, Wallace and Gillett where good, and Winterstein was again ordinary. Maybe it is time for him to go to QCup and give Kempy a go.

3- Te'o
2- Folau
1- Wallace

beads6

First Grade
Kenny will get back to his best, he is not the best prop in the world but he does a good job when playing his best. Give him a bit of time.

screeder

Juniors
Yeah Kenny's only just come back and is nowhere near full fitness, lets not worry too much about him. When he does get match fitness back he'll improve his meterage game from where it was pre-injury. Prop is such a hard position to play it takes many years to develop to top potential for most players. I'm not saying he's gonna be a 18 game origin veteran or future club captain but he will do the business for the Broncos.

lockyno1

Post Whore
A win is a win, that is all I'll say. I'd be more peeved if we didn't win as the refs did everything to give the win to Parra.

dasherhalo

Juniors
Yeah Kenny's only just come back and is nowhere near full fitness, lets not worry too much about him. When he does get match fitness back he'll improve his meterage game from where it was pre-injury. Prop is such a hard position to play it takes many years to develop to top potential for most players. I'm not saying he's gonna be a 18 game origin veteran or future club captain but he will do the business for the Broncos.

Agree with this. Not everyone can be a Petero or a Webke. The other advantage of having good-but-not-great players is that we don't lose them all around Origin time!

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
OK i didn't know Kemp had returned i presumed he was still injured, in that case i would drop winterstein and bring in Kemp at the moment, winterstein seems to be struggling a little bit especially when fielding kicks. And give Kenny some more time, he has never been fantastic at gaining meters and his strength has always been his defense he has never had the size to be a top prop IMO.