What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs. Rabbitohs Discussion + Voting

Bretto

Bench
3. Wallace - Don't know why Wallace isn't getting more praise. He controlled the game for us perfectly in the last 30 mins of that game. Kicked well and organised really well. Great halfback performance.

2. McGuire - This guy is really going to be something in the coming years. Got through almost 50 tackles and about 15 hitups last night. I really hope Brisbane sign him up to a long contract.

3. Parker - Great return game. 50 odd tackles, 17 or so hitups, had some good offloads and stung hard in defence.

Thaiday also had a really good game coming back from injury.

Copley/Beale are really good for us at the back at the moment. Both of these guys run like big, mobile backrowers - they hit the line hard every time and really bend it back, every time. Copley actually has all the signs there of being something special next season, he just needs some more ball from Reed.

We were a little inept in attack at times, but we seem to have the individual brilliance there to save us at the moment. I thought when Wallace started firing in the second half we looked really good.

Happy with the win.

hellteam

First Grade
Would still really like to see Beale shuffled into fullback in attack. At least occasionally...

renouf

Juniors
IMO our attack stinks because we're never allowed to get a roll on. We're being dominated in the ruck. This will be our problem in the finals.

Loving Wallace's work at the moment.

Last edited:

Bretto

Bench
IMO our attack stinks because we're never allowed to get a roll on. We're being dominated in the ruck. This will be our problem in the finals.

Loving Wallace's work at the moment.

This is something I've noticed for the last few weeks. When we're in the opposition's 20 meter area, we're getting held down in the ruck for f**king ages. I don't know what it is, or why it happens, but we never get quick play the balls, and the defence has so much time to aim up. Compare that to the speed at which the Rabbits played the ball in our 20 meter area last night, the difference is incredible.

cornerposter

Juniors
I was not impressed with Teo last night though he cost us a try the McQueen one by racing out of the line and leaving a massive hole, he seems to go for the big play all the time even when it isn't on. His attitude is irritating me.
Agree he cost us that try with a shit decision, but I don't see any issue with his attitude. I noticed him talking a heap during the game and his effort was there.

A couple of interesting observations from last night was:
  • Wallace's spray at Gillet in the first half after he made a dumb error. Nothing over the top, so was really pleased to see him put Gillet in his place.
  • I wouldn't of said this before last night, but Dave Taylor needs to miss Origin G3. He's slow, he has a sook every chance he gets and he is so f**king lazy it's pathetic. Not to mention his shite handling. The guy needs a major attitude change before he gets another Qld jersey.

3 - Wallace
2 - McGuire
1 - Petro

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
3 mcguire
2 parker
1 hodges

disgraceful attack. Norman pisses me off. Playing hopeless. Macca only knows how to throw a dummy. Ben Hunt is wasted off the bench. Put the bloke in the halves and we'll have a fast, creative and smart half. Wallace is solid, and norman is on and off. We won't threaten anybody during finals time. I thought our best game of the year was against Manly and we've been disgusting since then. I couldnt cheer for our tries because we're playing that bad. Just lucky other teams are playing garbage footy as well

Macca has been playing outstanding footy all season, fair enough he didn't have a great game last night but he has a lot more to his game than just dummying.

Ben Hunt is wasted on the bench, he is a halfback not a hooker let him play QCup as a halfback and then let him have a go in the halves at NRL level when Wallace or Norman are injured, he is not yet as good as either of them. Wallace has been one of the most consistent halfbacks in the NRL this year, so Hunt has no chance of replacing him, and Norman is a very good player who just needs more time no point changing him out when the side is winning.

Yes we will threaten teams in the finals because by that stage Origin will be over and the team will be able to play consistently together for a number of weeks to really work on those combinations again. One thing that has worked for us this year is we have been able to keep the spine of the team together and when the rest of the squad is back to playing club footy the combinations and attack will improve.

The team is not playing badly at the moment, they are playing good footy by grinding out results even if they are not playing to their potential, that is a sign of a very good team to be able to grind out results when not playing at their full potential.

You should always be able to cheer for your teams tries even if they are playing badly, even if they are losing you should always cheer for your teams try, that is the sign of a true fan.

Intelligent response. Why don't you write what you disagree with instead of answering like a 6 year old

Was that good enough for you? Are you one of those critics who you can never please?

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Why do so many people back Norman here? His kicking (again) was totally off the mark. Stupid little grubbers always missing the right holes. Not sure if he telegraphs it everytime he goes for a kick but the opposition
always a wake up to it. And that pass straight into the hands of Merritt??? You could see Merritt rushing outta of the line a mile away and when our fullbacks up always going to be dicey for an intercept. I'm not sure of his work load defensively but he's had enough chances to impress and he flat out hasn't! The guys more a liability at the moment? :?

Apart from Norman and an early blunder from Gillett (and the first 15 mins) thought we hung in there and played as a team. One of the things that worries me though is that we don't have runners hanging off certain
players in case they can offload. It's all one out stuff mainly.

Enough bagging thought Wallace kicking game was pretty spot on. Thaiday played strong apart from that play the ball debacle. McGuire just keeps getting better (if possible). Copley, Beale error free and always looked solid. Parker a big workload defensively as usual. Gillett wasn't outstanding but seems to be getting on track. Macca and Reed did enough.

Beale just misses out.

3 Josh McGuire
2 Peter Wallace
1 Josh Hoffman

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Well done Broncos! Thaiday had a great game with a bung shoulder.

Is it just me or does everybody else cringe everytime Hoffman gets tackled. He always looks like he is whincing in pain.

You would be too mate with that man mountain Inglis running over top of you but i know what you mean about Hoffman. Always looks pained and coming up injured! I like Hoffman, tries his guts out and safe as houses fullback wise.

Mr Fourex

Bench
3. Wallace - Don't know why Wallace isn't getting more praise. He controlled the game for us perfectly in the last 30 mins of that game. Kicked well and organised really well. Great halfback performance.

Don't worry about ole Pete, he gets more than his fair share of praise around here.

I thought Norman was better and was the one more in charge of the attack tbh.

Macca has been playing outstanding footy all season,

I disagree. He had A great game early in the season and hasn't done anything near that since.

This time last year he was playing a whole lot better than now.

===============================================

Josh McGuire outstanding effort

Thaiday looked better considering he was returning from an injury.

Definite improvement from Gillett.

Petero had a good 300th game.....he's still making the hard yards for us.

Corey Norman IMO opinion was solid. His game for me summed up the teams performance. Did some good things (a deft right foot grubber to the in goal for a repeat set and a couple of nice set plays)

and some not so good things (Merrit's intercept)

and took his lucky breaks (his forward pass to Reed for Copley to score and being on the right end of a McCullough special)

Have to take your opportunities at this stage of the year.

Well done boys.....

3. McGuire
2. Norman
1. Glenn

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Don't worry about ole Pete, he gets more than his fair share of praise around here.

I thought Norman was better and was the one more in charge of the attack tbh.

I disagree. He had A great game early in the season and hasn't done anything near that since.

This time last year he was playing a whole lot better than now.

===============================================

Josh McGuire outstanding effort

Thaiday looked better considering he was returning from an injury.

Definite improvement from Gillett.

Petero had a good 300th game.....he's still making the hard yards for us.

Corey Norman IMO opinion was solid. His game for me summed up the teams performance. Did some good things (a deft right foot grubber to the in goal for a repeat set and a couple of nice set plays)

and some not so good things (Merrit's intercept)

REALLY!!! Geezus I must have watched a different game?:shock: I'd have to go back and rewatch this one. TBH I usually only notice Norman when he F**** something up but think he's far from firing on all cylinders.

AuDragon

Juniors
LOL at Norman being better than Wallace last night.
Fourex, you have absolutely no clue about what a halve's job is about. All you want is to see the flashy plays a la Benji Marshall that will show up on the highlights when they come off...

No one mentioned him, but I thought Civo played his best game of the season last night. He bent souffs line with every single hit-up he did last night, and deserved all the applause and praise he got.

McGuire was awesome, Hodgo was great with Parker as well. Wallace, Copley, Beale and Hoffman were strong in the backs, while Reed seems to be off his game. I watched him with intent last night and he often positions himself in front of his inside man, leaving himself no space for a good ball.
Norman needs to go back to basics and let his instinct guide him. That pass to Merritt, dying with the ball too often and the inumerous grubber kicks into souffs players were just not good enough.

No complaints about the forwards, bar the Te'o brain snap. We dominated their pack easily and got through the advantage line consistently, giving us field position and the key to winning the game.
Gillett was better this week, but in all fairness I don't think he is being used well by Griffin, and I didn't get why Dodds didn't come in at all either...

Then again, look at what Hook is doing with this team. He probably knows better than me! :lol:

3- Civo (for his 300th and his awesome work at prop last night)
2- Hodgo
1- Parker

McGuire, Wallace, Glenn, Hoffman, Beale and Copley honorary mentions.

Big Pete

Referee
Didn't think much of either half really. Both had very mixed performances and looked unsure of themselves, as per usual.

Same goes for Macca too.

DeeJ

Bench
Would still really like to see Beale shuffled into fullback in attack. At least occasionally...

I agree. Hoffman is a strong runner of the ball, but he seems to think he can score a try himself every time. I can't remember him setting up any tries recently if at all.

Beale showed he had much better ball playing skills last year.

AuDragon

Juniors
Didn't think much of either half really. Both had very mixed performances and looked unsure of themselves, as per usual.

Same goes for Macca too.
Funny thing is that I would've agreed with you last night after the game, but after watching the replay today, I must say that Wallace was actually very very good in the way he directed the play, kicked, supported his runners and was always on the right spot to clean up in defense.
I should've waited until watching the replay to give my votes as McGuire probably also deserved a vote, but what's done is done...

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Some interesting stats and comments taken from the bunnies darkland.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=405697

Danger Sign: If Souths halfback Adam Reynolds doesn’t improve his kicking to open space Broncos fullback Josh Hoffman will have a field day – literally. Reynolds is booting a league-low 43 per cent clear of opponents, while Hoffman gains the most metres from kicks (1089, 11 metres a time) and ranks second for total runs (249, or almost 18 a game).

Corey Norman v John Sutton: These two five-eighths run the ball more than all their NRL rivals – including Test star Johnathan Thurston – with their creativity and lead-up work sure to figure in their respective team’s scoring plays.

Norman’s return from his average 9.5 runs a game is stunning – 11 try assists, 10 line-break assists and eight line-breaks, while he’s also crossed for four tries. On the surface Sutton’s return from his NRL-high 134 runs isn’t earth-shattering – three try assists, two line-break assists and four line-breaks – but it’s the work he does creating uncertainty in the opposition before shifting the ball wide to teammate Greg Inglis that counts.

Watch Out Rabbitohs: Just as Issac Luke is a threat out of dummy-half for Souths, so too is Andrew McCullough for the home team. The Broncos rank second for tries manufactured at the play-the-ball (seven) and actually lead the league for clean line-breaks at the ruck (also seven).

Rested after a quiet game in Origin II, Justin Hodges can create havoc out wide. The centre ranks second in the comp for offloads (29)

the Broncos have leaked 20 tries on that side of the field, compared to just 13 on their right side.

the Broncos have booted more cross-field bombs than any side (45)

The Way We See It: The Rabbitohs are sailing uncharted waters; it will be interesting to see how they handle the high emotions of the Suncorp cauldron. However, with Sam Thaiday back and the jockeying for key positions in the top eight about to start (they don’t want to lose sight of the Storm who are six points ahead on the ladder), we have to side with the Broncos at home. Brisbane by eight points.

broncos70

Juniors
Macca has been playing outstanding footy all season, fair enough he didn't have a great game last night but he has a lot more to his game than just dummying.

Ben Hunt is wasted on the bench, he is a halfback not a hooker let him play QCup as a halfback and then let him have a go in the halves at NRL level when Wallace or Norman are injured, he is not yet as good as either of them. Wallace has been one of the most consistent halfbacks in the NRL this year, so Hunt has no chance of replacing him, and Norman is a very good player who just needs more time no point changing him out when the side is winning.

Yes we will threaten teams in the finals because by that stage Origin will be over and the team will be able to play consistently together for a number of weeks to really work on those combinations again. One thing that has worked for us this year is we have been able to keep the spine of the team together and when the rest of the squad is back to playing club footy the combinations and attack will improve.

The team is not playing badly at the moment, they are playing good footy by grinding out results even if they are not playing to their potential, that is a sign of a very good team to be able to grind out results when not playing at their full potential.

You should always be able to cheer for your teams tries even if they are playing badly, even if they are losing you should always cheer for your teams try, that is the sign of a true fan.

Was that good enough for you? Are you one of those critics who you can never please?

That was good enough for me. I like intelligent responses. I disagree that Hunt isn't as good as Norman. I think he's faster between the ears and reads the play much better. I don't think Hunt would throw such a ridiculous intercept pass like Norman did the other night or pass the ball to your support when the fb isn't even looking at you like wallace did. Norman and Hoffman play the same game, which absolutely frustrates me.

Macca annoys the crap out of me when he tries to scoot over after 5 minutes. It makes the rest of his dummies for 75 minutes ineffective because they see it coming. I thought Hunt looked more dangerous in attack the other night. We won't threaten anyone with our lack of creativity. 50 tackles within the opposition 20 and we got 3 flukey tries. I'm not sure how much you know about playing in the halves, but I've played league my whole life at halfback and 5/8, and putting a bomb up on the 5th tackle, plus an inside ball to your fullback aren't the most creative pieces of play. I like Wallace there, but I was always a Hunt> Norman fan due to the fact that Norman and Hoffman play the same role. Norman doesn't know how to grubber at all. Kicked into the rabbitohs about 5 times!

I do agree that Hunt should be playing Qcup if he isn't in the run on side. I'd like his skill to develop even more.

I'm happy with our wins, but they're kind of empty when we score tries the way we do e.g. a flukey chip, a forward pass by 3m and a hodges try that should have been disallowed. There was nothing to grind out. It was against a team playing like they were in last place, but we played so bad that we kept them in the game for way too long..

They do please me throughout the match, and I do cheer on tries, just not a crappy forward pass and a grubber through which we were lucky to have. I actually cheered for the flukey chip. Loved it.

oh and by the way. Did anyone else notice that Norman was in Hoffmans position when he threw that forward pass for the try? that's why you don't see Hoffman chime into anything in attack. He can only do so much running and supporting.

Beale would be better suited to fullback with the way we play at the moment.

1. hoffman
6. hunt
7. wallace

or
1. beale
6. norman
7. wallace

Latest posts