What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 - Knights vs Rabbitohs: Friday 8th July 7:55pm @McDonald Jones Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
As good as that game against Parra was, it's now time to start looking towards the next clash, a game against the Knights out there in Newcastle. Another super important game for us in the context of our Season because we need to go on a run, and we have a tough draw for the remainder of the year. With respect to Newcastle, this is probably one of the easier games out of those ones so it's absolutely vital we walk away with the two points on Friday night. Plus, we don't want to be a 'one hit wonder' with regards to that performance last week. We need to go out there in Round 17 and back it up, build on it and get some momentum. Crucial game.

Newcastle haven't had a great year to be fair. They started really well but then fell away and have been towards the bottom of the ladder ever since. They have been struggling for a number of reasons. However, they had a great win last week and showed some real glimpses so I'm sure they'll come into this one with a lot more confidence than they would have previously. They are capable of beating us if everything goes right for them. Significantly, they'll be missing Ponga and Gagai due to Origin commitments but they're still gonna have guys like Best, Young, Milford, Klemmer, Saifiti and Frizell so there's still some real danger there. It will be a challenge I think, certainly not an easy win as some may think.

I just don't want to see any sort of complacency from the boys. We're going to be a bit depleted too as we'll be missing our Origin players, Cookie, Cam and Jai. We may also be without Nicholls and Sele of course so all of these are big losses which probably drags us back closer to the Knights and ensures that this will actually be a real test. We are not in any sort of position to take them lightly. last week was so good and we need to continue to improve. We completed well in tough conditions so I want to see us do that again. The boys also made some big strides in defence and our defensive structure so that must continue as well. If we play decently, then I do think we'll be too strong for Newcastle but if we're a bit off, with the guys we'll have missing, it could become a challenge. So we'd better be on!!! Play with the passion and desire we played with against Parra!!

Important week, important game! Looking forward to it.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 17 against the Knights,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Paulo
6. Walker (C)
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Nikorima
10. Nicholls
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Havili

14. Milne
15. Lovett/Mitchell
16. Burgess
17. Moale

Pretty self-explanatory. What's the bet I've probably got it all wrong but this is what I would like JD to go with. Nicho will be named and given every chance to play, will have to see how he goes during the week.

Rabbits20

Immortal
With Campbell likely out too I expect this:

Trell
AJ
Tass
Milne
Paulo
Cody
Ilias
Tatola
Nikorima
Tom
Keaon
Lovett
Nicholls

Havili
Moale
Chee Kam
Shaq

DSF

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Line Up For Round 17 Against Knights: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/07/05/rabbitohs-nrl-team-for-round-17-against-knights/

Pretty happy with that team considering we're without Origin players and the injuries we have currently. Most selections are justified and as predicted.

Taane is the right choice to step in for Stretch. Yes, it's not ideal but it's the next best we can do. I'm confident that he can do a job there if he gets his defence right.

In the forward pack, I would have gone with Nikorima starting at hooker but I can understand why JD has gone with Liva. Havili is still a very solid hooker as he has shown over the years. Tom back into the starting side is allgood. I'm not a big fan of Jed being back in the side but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, hopefully he can prove something there. Also, Nicho must be a chance of playing otherwise they wouldn't have named him so that's good news for now!

Only thing I'm not sure about is carrying both Nikorima and Taaffe on the bench, both little blokes. Can understand Nikorima as he will come on and give Liva a spell at hooker but why pick Taaffe there too? Would a forward like Suluka-Fifita or Mitchell not be more suitable? Hopefully that changes before kick off or we won't be getting much punch of the bench and some starting forwards will have to play big minutes which is not ideal.

Amazing moment for Trell to captain the side for the first time! It's a credit to the leader he has become. Guess it's a bit surprising that they went that way instead of Cody but I'm certainly not complaining!

So for the most part, happy with this weeks team. Hurry up Friday!!

handyman2190

Bench
Rabbitohs Line Up For Round 17 Against Knights: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/07/05/rabbitohs-nrl-team-for-round-17-against-knights/

Pretty happy with that team considering we're without Origin players and the injuries we have currently. Most selections are justified and as predicted.

Taane is the right choice to step in for Stretch. Yes, it's not ideal but it's the next best we can do. I'm confident that he can do a job there if he gets his defence right.

In the forward pack, I would have gone with Nikorima starting at hooker but I can understand why JD has gone with Liva. Havili is still a very solid hooker as he has shown over the years. Tom back into the starting side is allgood. I'm not a big fan of Jed being back in the side but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, hopefully he can prove something there. Also, Nicho must be a chance of playing otherwise they wouldn't have named him so that's good news for now!

Only thing I'm not sure about is carrying both Nikorima and Taaffe on the bench, both little blokes. Can understand Nikorima as he will come on and give Liva a spell at hooker but why pick Taaffe there too? Would a forward like Suluka-Fifita or Mitchell not be more suitable? Hopefully that changes before kick off or we won't be getting much punch of the bench and some starting forwards will have to play big minutes which is not ideal.

Amazing moment for Trell to captain the side for the first time! It's a credit to the leader he has become. Guess it's a bit surprising that they went that way instead of Cody but I'm certainly not complaining!

Jed is useless, i think kodi is there as you said as hooker replacement with siliva going into either back row or lock,what i would have tried is milne at lock he had a great game when he played international and gagai at centre but he may be injured because tyrell has stepped up in nsw cup

Rabbit57

Juniors

Agree. The bench is not balanced. Davvy is the only genuine middle in the rotation.
There must be a plan to change later in the week.
Knights have got plenty of powerful forwards in run on team and bench and we will need to have the power to match. Bring in suluka Fifita and let him rip in. Might be worth including Mitchell for a bit of impact.

callmack1

Staff member
Agree. The bench is not balanced. Davvy is the only genuine middle in the rotation.
There must be a plan to change later in the week.
Knights have got plenty of powerful forwards in run on team and bench and we will need to have the power to match. Bring in suluka Fifita and let him rip in. Might be worth including Mitchell for a bit of impact.
100% agree! Surely they change before kick off.

Steenson123

Juniors
There is barely a squad left.
I do not get Cartwright. Has he been playing well in second grade? And two little men on the bench against these big forwards at RedNeck oval in the wet? Mitchell's brother may be a better fit it will be a slogg. Rehashed bench should be:
Moale
Nikorima
Fifita
Mitchell/Chee Kam.
Then again some of these guys may have to start. Its up to Latrell, Walker and Kaloa to do the job there is not much else!! LM may stir Shaq to rip in so I would play him.

Steenson123

Juniors
Jed is useless, i think kodi is there as you said as hooker replacement with siliva going into either back row or lock,what i would have tried is milne at lock he had a great game when he played international and gagai at centre but he may be injured because tyrell has stepped up in nsw cup
Milne will not last at backrow. Shaq M would be a better option it will be a wet slogg at this RedNeck hole. The collective forwards should be Tom B, Havili, Tatola, Koloa, Shaq M, Fifita, Moale. No Jed C. Why is Mamezolous being ignored? Injured?

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle. Far out this is the last thing we needed! God, I hope he's good to go,

Rabbitohs injury problems grow with star in doubt for Knights clash

South Sydney Rabbitohs flier Alex Johnston is in doubt for this weekend's clash with the Newcastle Knights with a reported quad injury.

A short turnaround won't be helping Johnston's cause, with the Rabbitohs having played last Saturday night in a win against the Parramatta Eels in adverse conditions, only to have to back up this Friday to play the Newcastle Knights.

It is reported that he has suffered an injury and is now racing the clock to line up for his team on Friday evening.

The injury news regarding their star winger, who has scored a staggering 16 tries in 15 games already this season, with 10 of those coming in his last 6 games, was the last thing South Sydney needed.

Missing Jai Arrow, Damien Cook and Cameron Murray to State of Origin, they have also been brought undone by a potential quadruple injury blow for Round 17.

While veteran Dolphins-bound prop Mark Nicholls is still a chance to play as he battles concussion protocols on the shortest possible turnaround to pass them, centre Campbell Graham, and forwards Hame Sele and Liam Knight have all suffered longer-term injuries.

Graham, who has been replaced by Taane Milne, has suffered a facial fracture which could keep him out for up to six weeks on the run to the finals, while Sele has suffered a groin injury which will see him sidelined for between four and six weeks.

Knight, who hasn't been playing first grade in recent weeks, could have been called up this week given the number of outs, but had his season brought to an end by a cannonball tackle in the NSW Cup last week, with an ACL injury set to see him sidelined for virtually all of next year's pre-season.

Should Johnston be out, then it's tipped Richard Kennar would come into the side after he made the 22-man squad yesterday. Michael Chee-Kam could be another option to play in the centres after being named on the bench, with Milne pushing out to the wing.

The other reserves - one of whom could come onto the bench if Chee-Kam starts - are halfback Dean Hawkins, and forwards Shaquai Mitchell, Ben Lovett, as well as recent signing Daniel Suluka-Fifita.

callmack1

Staff member
Milne will not last at backrow. Shaq M would be a better option it will be a wet slogg at this RedNeck hole. The collective forwards should be Tom B, Havili, Tatola, Koloa, Shaq M, Fifita, Moale. No Jed C. Why is Mamezolous being ignored? Injured?
Yes, young Pete has broken his hand.

handyman2190

Bench
Broke his wrist

Latest posts