What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 - Rabbitohs vs Storm: Friday 4th September 7:55pm @ANZ Stadium

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Allen is very slow. Nothing surprises me when it come to coaches and selections.
I remember watching fetuli Talanoa run around first grade for 2 year like a moron and we had kids like josh Mansour killing it in the 20’s and they couldn’t get a game.
Oh man, Fetuli Talanoa, there's memories for you. His problem was unfortunately he had a very low football IQ

Hellray

Juniors
I wouldn’t be surprised if this week or next we give Rodwell a bench spot. He has made his way into the 21 and Bennett seems to give guys a go and rest players with niggling injuries. Everyone’s form has been top notch lately so choosing who to “drop or rest” will be hard but Bennett will give Rodwell a game before end of season

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs update 19-Man Squad for Round 17: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/03/rabbitohs-update-19-man-squad-for-round-17/

Gagai is out once again which is a shame. However, Marsters has gone great for us the past two weeks and I have a big amount of faith in his ability. Let's hope he can keep it up tomorrow night.

Renouf - Bennett's Bunnies primed in hunt for Red and Green October: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/03...ies-primed-in-hunt-for-red-and-green-october/

Burgess really let himself go in retirement... Souths legend shows off outrageous physique: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/c16b45ef2a9103b844240f781aedbb45

callmack1

Staff member
It's finally Game Day yet again and what a massive day it is for us today! You don't need me to tell you how big of an occasion it's going to be tonight as we go up against the Storm. If we haven't done it already, tonight is a massive opportunity to really prove our Premiership credentials as we go up against one of the benchmark teams in the comp. To do that is goint to take one hell of an effort but I hope the boys are ready!

We all know our poor record against Melbourne, we've only bet them five times in history so they are certainly our biggest bogey side. However, none of that matters when we run out there tonight and this is another opportunity to begin to re-write the history books.

As I have said, the Storm are on hell of a side and seem to be one of the benchmark teams year upon year. All you have to do is rattle off the names of some of their stars and you'll see we face a big challenge in this one. Papenhuyzen, Olam, Addo-Carr, Munster, Hughes, Bromwich, Smith, Kaufusi, the list just goes on and on. I said this earlier in the week but they just have that much class that there is no real 'key battle' tonight, we have to be on right across the board, in all areas of our game. On another note, the Storm are coming off a five day turnaround and have to travel to us today. However, I don't see that being an issue for them.

It is going to take one hell of a performance for us to beat the Storm tonight and we'll need to be even better than the past two weeks. Completions will be absolutely crucial tonight as the Storm are a side that takes their chances. We saw in Round 4 what can happen if you have a poor completion rate against them so we must ensure that's not the case tonight. Obviously our attack needs to keep firing and I'd still like to see more from our defence. In a big game, without Latrell, our spine must really stand up tonight. Cody, Reyno and Cookie need to have a big one. The start tonight will be crucial as the Strom are hard to run down if they get too far in front. All in all, we just need to play our Footy, play with that same flair we have been.

Adding to the huge night is Reyno's 200th so I hope the boys go out there and do it with him.

So yea, just a massive occasion tonight! Huge! We can do this!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Yours for the taking - Sironen grabs chance at Souths: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/04/yours-for-the-taking-sironen-grabs-chance-at-souths/

Andrew Johns says South Sydney can't win the premiership without injured star Latrell Mitchell: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-20...abbitohs/ec1df748-e128-4971-ac4d-c7275ff66eca

No doubt we'll go into tonight as massive underdogs. Big outsiders really. Our record against Melbourne is terrible, they're a benchmark team and we are without Latrell. So that makes us massive underdogs. However, that's just the way we like it! It's not going to be easy tonight but we just have to believe. We have to believe. If we can do that then we are capable of putting in a performance that defies belief.

Adam Reynolds Journey to 200: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/03/adam-reynolds-journey-to-200/

I also just want to take a moment to properly say congrats to Reyno, our skipper, for 200 games tonight. Honestly, a huge achievement that puts him into legendary status at our club (if he wasn't already). He's a proud Redfern boy and bleeds Red and Green so I'm so proud of him and I'm sure he'd be extremely proud too. Who would've thought he'd come this far when we watched his first game in 2012. Huge congrats Reyno, can't wait to cheer you on for the 200th time!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yours for the taking - Sironen grabs chance at Souths: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/04/yours-for-the-taking-sironen-grabs-chance-at-souths/

Andrew Johns says South Sydney can't win the premiership without injured star Latrell Mitchell: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-20...abbitohs/ec1df748-e128-4971-ac4d-c7275ff66eca

No doubt we'll go into tonight as massive underdogs. Big outsiders really. Our record against Melbourne is terrible, they're a benchmark team and we are without Latrell. So that makes us massive underdogs. However, that's just the way we like it! It's not going to be easy tonight but we just have to believe. We have to believe. If we can do that then we are capable of putting in a performance that defies belief.

Adam Reynolds Journey to 200: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/03/adam-reynolds-journey-to-200/

I also just want to take a moment to properly say congrats to Reyno, our skipper, for 200 games tonight. Honestly, a huge achievement that puts him into legendary status at our club (if he wasn't already). He's a proud Redfern boy and bleeds Red and Green so I'm so proud of him and I'm sure he'd be extremely proud too. Who would've thought he'd come this far when we watched his first game in 2012. Huge congrats Reyno, can't wait to cheer you on for the 200th time!!
Glad to see you’re pumped Callmack, only 2 and a bit hours til kick off now.

GLORY GLORY GO YOU GOOD THINGS!!! We are understrength in the backs but I believe in the lads. Let’s do it for Reyno.

Leaving just after 6 to head out there.

callmack1

Staff member
Glad to see you’re pumped Callmack, only 2 and a bit hours til kick off now.

GLORY GLORY GO YOU GOOD THINGS!!! We are understrength in the backs but I believe in the lads. Let’s do it for Reyno.

Leaving just after 6 to head out there.
Enjoy it mate!! Make sure you return home with no voice!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Ashley Klein is the worst ref in the NRL, he is killing us, Storm constantly off side, he won't call set restart, pulls us up, Storm score. Forces Adam into HIA, but Olam gets knocked out, holds up the play when we got a roll on, allows him to stay on.

Why does he have to ref our games?

assess5

Juniors
Storm were just to good.
If they were offside it was because they were moving up in defense - all game, not just three quarters of the game.

I wonder how Souths would have gone with Mitchell at fullback. The team really need him for the spark he brings. As it was Souths backline was of no use, the only time the ball went wide Jackson Paully dropped what was a pass a little behind him, still should have caught it, would have scored, that's the third time he's pissed himself.
Allan again was solid, slow and solid, never any chance of him leading an attacking raid. Missed a few tackles, noticeably the try that led the storm to the lead.
Saw Johnston take a few run ups, saw him sit down real quick as the defense got to him. That's why he's on the market.
There was no spark in that backline past Cody Walker.

Liam Knight did the usual, got his hand to the ball and knocked on just before half time (led to the storm second try) and gave away his obligatory penalty.

Souths kept dropping the ball because the Storm kept tackling all game.
Got the 'welcome to first grade' mate.

callmack1

Staff member
Man I'm gutted. Honestly I'm absolutely gutted after the way that game played out. We have beaten ourselves in a big game once again. We dominated the Storm for most of that first half, we were alll over them and with the way we were playing, this was a massive opportunity. But no, we decided to slip into old habits and just do the simple stuff wrong. Far too many dropped balls which just gave us no chance, far too many. Once again we have been our own worst enemy and I honestly feel like we gifted that game to the Storm. Should've won but we just can't beat them I swear. So gutted.

Attack wasn't on tonight and it was clear to see we missed Latrell. The forwards were great and certainly stuck it to the Storm. We had no problems making meters at all. In fact, we were rolling through at times. It was just our plays attacking their line which were off. The Storm are a great defensive side and that probably contributed to it but even then, we were off. Outside of Reyno and Cody, none of the backline looked like much of a threat. Raids were slow and lacked execution. That's were we missed Latrell big time. Yes, we scored two great tries apart from that, the attack was lacking. Then there was the errors. Just not good enough, far too many. Completion rate was awful in that second half and it just gave us no chance. Enough said.

I was actually really impressed with the defence. I put the Storm's last two tries down to weight of possession. Because we couldn't hold the friggin ball, we were forced into a lot of defence and thus, fatigue. Their first two tries were serious lapses by us though, lazy efforts and that one right on half time proved costly. Apart from that the defence was great. Super rough and aggressive, and we turned them away many times.

Allan. Was solid. Safe at the back, had a pretty strong running game but that was about it. He wasn't involved enough/didn't execute well enough in attack. A few errors and poor passes. Plus I just don't think he got involved enough.

Johnston: Had very limited chances tonight so found it hard to get himself into the game. Hit ups were strong though.

Graham: Was able to get a bit more involved than AJ and played pretty well. Very strong hit ups and poked his nose through the line often. A fantastic try by him to not give up on the play, that was great! He was solid in defence too.

Marsters: Bit of a mixed game. Had a few good runs but apart from that he didn't do much in attack which was disappointing. Made two big defensive errors that lead to two tries as he was giving his opposites far too much room and Addo-Carr was just burning him. But then after that, he sorted it out, was aggressive and made some fantastic tackles. So yea, a real mixed game.

Paulo: Have to be honest, he was busy but wasn't massively effective. I still feel that he goes into a tackle far too upright which means it's easier to defend and push him back. We saw a lot of that tonight as he had plenty of runs but was getting stopped in his tracks almost everytime. Had that crucial drop close to the line too. I know it was a poor pass but he still should've taken it. Wasn't too bad on defence.

Walker: I thought Cody was pretty good. He looked the most likely for us in attack and was creating a lot of chances for those outside him, we just couldn't ice it. He didn't drop in and out of the game like he sometimes can and he tried his guts out. Fantastic kick For Grahams try (perfect in fact) and then ran a great hole to score a beautifully engineered try. That was great to watch.

Reyno: In his 200th game, he played well too. Directed the troops around well, his kicking game was pretty decent and he was digging right into the line to start our attacking plays. This put the defence in two minds and created a lot of space out wide. I'll have to watch the replay but I don't think he did too much wrong on defence either so it wasn't a bad game from Reyno.

Tatola: Once again, just a good, solid performance form Junior. He didn't do anything special like a lot of our forwards but he just did his job and was a big reason while we kept rolling forward.

Cook: Great game from Cookie! Right from the opening whistle he was on. Played really direct and gave good service to the rest of the side. There was no hiccups there tonight which was really good to see. Once again was a brick wall in defence with a really high workrate there too. However, it was his running game which was most impressive. It was honestly 2018 like, he looked that good. Picked his time well and just pinned the ears back, almost breaking through a couple of times. Was great to see from Cookie.

Burgess: See my comments about Tatola as I'ts pretty much say the same for Tommy.

Su'A: Was really aggressive tonight and he looked good. Some of the hits he was pulling off were bone rattling. It was good to see that kind of aggression. Other than that, his running game was strong and I remember saying 'good run Jaydn' a fair bit. The only blemish was the one error.

Sironen: Made a lot of charging runs and they were all very strong. Got to see a bit of ball playing from him tonight and I liked what I saw.

Murray: Another good, trypical game from Cam. Enough said, all class.

Nicholls: A good solid game where he just charged off the bench and did his job. Increased minutes was no issue for him and he gave his all out there.

Knight: Not sure how to feel about Knighty's game tonight to be honest. On the one hand, he came on and provided some great impact off the bench with charging runs and relatively quick play-the-balls. But on the other, his dicipline was poor. In my opinion, he made the crucial error of the game just before halftime when we were eight points up. That lead to a try and we never had the upper hand after that. He also gave away a penalty or two. Needs to get this stuff out of his game.

Mago: Didn't play many minutes but still made his presence felt.

Koloamatangi: Not a great night for Keon. Two errors and and HIA. He'll be back bigger and better.

Despite the loss, I feel like I should be proud of the boys because we've just proven our Premiership credentials again. We were able to really push the Storm and go with them, even dominate them at stages. If it weren't for us beating ourselves, we certainly could've won that one. So that just goes to show we can match it with the big guns of this competition.

So yea, I should be proud but I'm shattered as we've just let a great opportunity slip. We can win this comp, I have no doubt now. We just need to stop beating ourselves like what happened tonight. Lot's to work on for next week.

handyman2190

Bench
Storm were just to good.
If they were offside it was because they were moving up in defense - all game, not just three quarters of the game.

I wonder how Souths would have gone with Mitchell at fullback. The team really need him for the spark he brings. As it was Souths backline was of no use, the only time the ball went wide Jackson Paully dropped what was a pass a little behind him, still should have caught it, would have scored, that's the third time he's pissed himself.
Allan again was solid, slow and solid, never any chance of him leading an attacking raid. Missed a few tackles, noticeably the try that led the storm to the lead.
Saw Johnston take a few run ups, saw him sit down real quick as the defense got to him. That's why he's on the market.
There was no spark in that backline past Cody Walker.

Liam Knight did the usual, got his hand to the ball and knocked on just before half time (led to the storm second try) and gave away his obligatory penalty.

Souths kept dropping the ball because the Storm kept tackling all game.
Got the 'welcome to first grade' mate.
Im not impressrd with paulo,not the answer for us

Latest posts