What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs. Eels Discussion + Voting

Snoochies

First Grade
Where did you hear this? I didn't think he would be back for a while still...

;-)

STRONGMAN Josh McGuire will make a surprise return for the Origin-depleted Broncos against Parramatta at Parramatta Stadium tomorrow night.
Coach Anthony Griffin would have been scouring the Queensland Cup for a 17th player if McGuire had not been cleared to return from injury yesterday.
Hooker Kurt Baptiste was ruled out with a shoulder injury this morning.
With six players in Origin camp and several more on the injury list, the Broncos cupboard was bare.
That was until McGuire was given the OK to return from an eye injury that had at one stage threatened his playing future.
"If he didn't get a clearance we would have had to go to the Queensland Cup or under-20s to find someone," said Griffin told Bronco TV this morning.
"So it was great for us that Josh got a final clearance. He has been like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for that clearance, so he will give us some energy from the bench."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-parramatta-eels/story-e6frep5o-1226084872405

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
;-)

STRONGMAN Josh McGuire will make a surprise return for the Origin-depleted Broncos against Parramatta at Parramatta Stadium tomorrow night.
Coach Anthony Griffin would have been scouring the Queensland Cup for a 17th player if McGuire had not been cleared to return from injury yesterday.
Hooker Kurt Baptiste was ruled out with a shoulder injury this morning.
With six players in Origin camp and several more on the injury list, the Broncos cupboard was bare.
That was until McGuire was given the OK to return from an eye injury that had at one stage threatened his playing future.
"If he didn't get a clearance we would have had to go to the Queensland Cup or under-20s to find someone," said Griffin told Bronco TV this morning.
"So it was great for us that Josh got a final clearance. He has been like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for that clearance, so he will give us some energy from the bench."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-parramatta-eels/story-e6frep5o-1226084872405

Nice work, cheers Snoochies!

Bit of a bummer that Baptiste is out tho...

jarro

Juniors
Glad McGuire is back !!!

Shame about Baptiste though ... he provides that little extra spark out of dummyhalf that Macca doesn't.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Did anyone see the Qcup match between Central and Norths last weekend? From the highlights package on qrl site. It seemed both Macca and Hunt performed strongly.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
3. McCullough. Bronx had all their forward momentum with him out there.
2. Gillett. Particularly good in defence
1. Beale Didn't have enough opportunities but always looked dangerous.

-1 Reed, Anderson

Big Pete

Referee
-6 would be accurate. Worst game I've seen him play.

3. Matt Gillett
2. Andrew McCullough
1. Dane Gagai

And now my full attention is back on the Maroons.

user_nat

Coach
3. McCullough - would love to see a stat on how many tries we concede when he is off the field.
2. Gillett
1. Gagai

Good win, defense was good for most of the game. Attack is still struggling (feel like I have been saying that all year).

Mr Fourex

Bench
3. Gillett
2. McCoullgh
1. Gagai

Just got there.

Mid 2nd half we were looking beat. Coincided with Mc being off the field. Even Wallace/Norman looked better when McCoullgh came back on.

I was guilty of bagging him not so long ago. If he can keep up this form (I thought he started to turn it around against the Dragons R15)........our hooker/dummy half probs might be solved. Baptiste relieving him from the bench will be heaps better than the Hunt option

Our kicking game was shit.......

I thought all the forwards stepped up for most of the game.

Nice problem to have now....where to fit Gillet into the starting side?

Thaiday moves to prop .......Parker to 2nd row ?

8. Hannant
9. McCoullgh
10. Thaiday
11. Glenn
12. Parker
13. Gillett

Looks a pretty good pack.

p.s

GO THE MAROONS ......STICK IT TO THOSE COCKROACH MERKINS !!!!!

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
So proud of the boys after that game. Won on the back of some good goaline defence. After the parra comeback I wasnt sure we would make it, but we held in there and then Gillett sliced through for the match winner.

So happy for the two points leading into the bye. Keeps us rock solid in the top five. I think its going to be a battle between us and the Cowboys for forth spot come september. Next week they have a tough monday night trip to Newcastle, and hopefully the Knights can do us a favour and we'll jump 2 points in front.

user_nat

Coach
Still wasn't impressed by any of our props, so moving Thaiday there doesn't seem so bad.

AuDragon

Juniors
Scrappy win, but thoroughly deserved imo. Especially at the end, we looked like the team who wanted it most.
Hunt is definitely not first grade material atm. He did nothing except one good kick and his defense is nothing compared to Macca's or even Baptiste.

Reed has a shocker and Copley didn't do much, while Kenny was his typical marshmellow self.

Wallace did direct the team well, but it's clear to me that he struggles with long distance kicking or to put up bombs. He just doesn't seem to have the power for it, while Norman is the opposite.
Wallace short kicking game is very good though, but some of his last tackle options were a bit doubtful tonight...

Good stuff from most others, solid return from McGuire and very good game from Lui, who was our best ball runner with over 100 mtrs from 15 hit-ups.

Macca deserves wraps for the way his game improved, as does Beale for the best game I've seen him play in the centres, but Gagai put himself down as a candidate for a wing spot after tonight's display. I do believe he will eventually take the last "available" backline spot once he gains enough confidence, and tonight must have given him plenty despite dropping that one bomb...

Gillett is back baby! How good was he?

3- Gillett
2- Gagai
1- Lui

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Agree on your votes there AuDragon

3- Gillett
2- Gagai
1- Lui

You're also right with Wallace's long kicks/bombs, he simply doesn't have the strength.

We won simply on heart tonight. I thought we were thoroughly defeated in the forwards. Kenny and Anderson, hmmm... McCullough hopefully will start to be more consistent now. Reed had a shocker, he was due for one though. McGuire went well considering how long he has been out.

Pretty lucky with the tries we scored tonight. Took some individual brilliance from Gillett to break the deadlock. Once Gagai beefs up a bit he might become unstoppable!

Sidestep

Juniors
I thought Hoffman was outstanding, have not looked at stats but his workload was enormous. Best performance I have seen from Lui, worst from Reed. Fantastic to see Josh McQuire back, he will only get better. Macca had a bit more spark after his exile.

3. Hoffman
2. McCullough
1. Gillett

Latest posts