What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs. Sharks Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
Credit to the Sharks fans. All been humble in victory, enjoy the 2 points and the weekend guys.

Back to the Broncos for a second.

I've got to admit I don't understand the praise for Glenn. Couple of Man of the Match votes around the net, very own thread on the NRL board...he's a good player and all but honestly all he did out there was make 3 good runs and 3 good tackles. Everything else was fairly stock standard and not worthy of praise. Unlike say Moose McGuire who once again carried the majority of the forward pack.

Got to say, pretty disappointing in some of the more experienced depth players. Nami & Dodds were both useless and his easy pickings for the Sharks forwards. The sooner they went off, the better we looked. Reckon Hook has got to bite the bullet with Lui and tell him to do something of note in the QCup before he can be considered again as he's probably our worst player down there.

Still prefer Maranta over Whichurch despite the latter's strength. Maranta just seems more clued in despite the mistake at the end...which shouldn't have been a try because Wade was infront of the rebound...but hey.

Break will do us some good and I won't get too critical of the boys until R22 or so.

Behold

Juniors
Pretty much agree with Mr. Fourex summation of Wallace's performance. I was a little disappointed with Griffin's defensive layout when the game begun not sure why, Lui, Dodds, Gibbs were all in the middle with only Macca as the senior forward and Glenn McGuire defended the edges. Really Happy to see Hunt come on play some long minutes. We should've trained more for this during the week and kept Macca at dumbie half more often with Hunt being the centre play maker/offloading lock with Norman one side and Wallace the other. All the young guys should be proud of their effort it could have easily blown out after the Sharks crossed a few times early.

I think we should drop/rest Wallace for a bit and try the Hunt/Norman combination. I really think Norman needs to get involved in the game more but its not going to happen when Wallace is the dominant half. If we hadn't had so many injuries during the game I suspect Hook, would have hooked Wallace, he was just trying too hard to make up for his errors. I liked seeing Copley and Beale swapping in and out of fullback and also swapping sides of the field with Gibb (i think it was Gibb who replaced Reed) I think our backline when the team is at full strength is way too structured and we have the players and the combinations to create a bit of a rolling back line with players moving either side of the field. I was really impressed by Copley and Beale who stuck their hands up tonight and played like senior players in the team making strong carries up the middle to give the young forwards a break. Gee Whitchurch could turn into one hell of a player, just hope we don't turn him into a second rower in the offseason.

Glenn was super tonight and someone asked, I don't know if it was on this forum or another one, why he was named captain ahead of Wallace and tonight shows why. I think Glenn will go down as one of the all time great broncos and it is a huge plus to the Broncos that he is a New Zealander.

3. McGuire
2. Glenn
1. McCoullugh

HM, Beale, Copley
DHM. Peter Wallace.

I am looking forward to 2 weeks time and I hope Wallace has his best game ever I just don't see it happening.

On a positive note Wallace's convertion's were very good.

Snappy

Coach
Do we even practice 5th tackle options at training, because it sure doesnt appear so. Bloody sick of our hooker or halves getting caught with the ball. It's not acceptable. The way to win games and to maintain pressure, but we are just cheaply turning over the ball.

Also, ffs can Wallace please practice turning line breaks into tries, or at least scoring opportunities. That's now three bombed line breaks in two weeks. Last week he wasnt drawing the fullback close enough before passing. This week was a hospital pass. I'd even prefer he take on the fullback over those other poor options.

Enough of the whining.

Agreed that Beale and Copely stood up tonight and really put in some good runs when required. There was one set where Beale made two hits ups.

Young blokes will be better for the run, but Dodds and Lui were ordinary. Gibbs, J Wallace and Whitchurch look the goods.

It blows balls but I guess ya get used to these losses at Origin time. Take 7 players out of any team and they will struggle.

icewind

Juniors
re: that wallace linebreak and pass

a grubber would have been nice. gives us a 1 in 3 chance of scoring if not we get the ball back

Kiwi

First Grade
I love how a fair few people are turning on Wallace. Have people forgotten that Wallace has won us plenty of games this year, has performed really well. Sure he has had a couple of off games, not gonna deny that, but give it rest. No wallace this year and we are bottom of the 8 at best, probably outside it

Fieldsguy

Juniors
I've got to admit I don't understand the praise for Glenn. Couple of Man of the Match votes around the net, very own thread on the NRL board...he's a good player and all but honestly all he did out there was make 3 good runs and 3 good tackles.
Why was Glenn even made Captain? Surely that also plays on Wallaces delicate mind?

Glenn is average and just an honest toiler, nothing special, the hype around him is bigger than his ability.

Wallace has never been a stand out halfback for Brisbane, he was made to seem better than he is by Lockyer for a while but now he is gone Wallace is being found out.

Brisbane should have snapped up DCE while they had the chance and let Wallace go back to his blue origins....

Big Pete

Referee
I disagree, I believe Wallace's best performances have occurred without Lockyer.

Glenn has a better connection with the majority of our younger side and a better relationship with the coach. Outside in, the decision seems odd. But given the history of Glenn and his peers it's a very understandable decision.

I might not see what others do in him, but I believe he has great credentials.

Wallace.....
He's ok. He's not alf or locky but he's as good as most half backs running around at the moment.
His intercept was a poor pass yes. But as it was a sharks back there was every chance we drop it or miss completely.
The one last week to Merritt was worse. Was that Wallace as well?

Hes a good player most of the time. Just took a couple of wrong options.

Big Pete

Referee
Russell Crowe's Band said:
The one last week to Merritt was worse. Was that Wallace as well?

Nah, Norman.

Although, I think Merritt might have intercepted a Wallace pass earlier to save a try?

AceAv

Juniors
I can forgive wal for this. All our halves were guilty of poor 5th options. I really wish Wallace chipped it in for macca on that line break.

We were good enough to get back into that game after sharks were smashing 62 meter sets. But it was a frustrating night for wal and i hope he builds from it. I honestly think he has been getting better and showing more consistency. But we've been spoilt with Lockyer. The insticts he had, and precision was unbelievable.

I guess i wasnt watching enough but moose had a slowish start for mine. Hoffman seems like he has some serious health issues. Beale has greatly improved despite his poor read on the first try (hoffman had him covered). Witchurch has a real future and Im ready to see copley pull out some tricks. that offload for our first try was nice.

Glad origin time is over and we can get back to where we were at the start of the year!

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Thought the boys were going to bring it home towards the end. Bloody intercepts! The Broncs deserved a win for their guts effort especially after the first 20 mins. Wallace was terrible and only grew a leg when we were down with our biggest margin. Lottsa poor last kick decisions and pass options but Norman was just plain useless. I'm not the biggest Wallace fan but I'd rather stick with him then Norman any day. At least he "has" had great games in previous matches. Just like you can't expect one guy to win matches you can't blame one player for the loss.

I thought for what we had we did really well against a relentless sharkies pack. Just a pity that Wallace had to pick that game to have a shocker! Impressed with a couple of the young guns - Maranta/Whichurch but McGuire really stood up where it counted.

3. McGuire
2. Whichurch
1. Copley

Fieldsguy

Juniors
I disagree, I believe Wallace's best performances have occurred without Lockyer.
Well if that is the case, what the hell was he doing all the time Lockyer was in the team?

Wallace is very one dimensional and rarely confuses the defence or has them guessing.

He can throw an occasional good long pass and he has solid defence but his kicking game is hit and miss and he does is not able to create time for himself very often as good players are capable of doing.

Once he retires or moves on Brisbane will look back on the "Wallace" days as wasted ones.

Big Pete

Referee
Well if that is the case, what the hell was he doing all the time Lockyer was in the team?

Wallace is very one dimensional and rarely confuses the defence or has them guessing.

He can throw an occasional good long pass and he has solid defence but his kicking game is hit and miss and he does is not able to create time for himself very often as good players are capable of doing.

Once he retires or moves on Brisbane will look back on the "Wallace" days as wasted ones.

:lol: There's some members in here completely nodding their head in agreement with you.

Your guess is as good as mine. I just don't think he enjoyed the secondary role and being cramped on one side of the field. Once Locky left though, he's been able to roam a bit more and he's actually a very solid half.

He definitely has his issues though, but I'm willing to be patient with him.

Can't help but respect a player willing to bust his nut to help his side.

Nerd

Bench
I have thought for awhile that Wallace is a ball playing lock masquerading as a halfback.

Would like to see Hunt & Norman given a go as halves next year.

Hunt may not have the experience of Wallace but appears capable of putting the defence in two minds when he has the ball.

And can someone get Norman to watch a few videos of Langer or Thurston and the way they take a support player with them to the line. While Norman appears to have a good jink and step he's easy picking for the defence when he goes one out.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I haven't seen the game but I'll chime in on the Wallace discussion anyway.

My feeling is that Wallace has been pretty consistent. He has neither been good or bad. He has never really put the defence in two minds and probably never will. I will always have respect for Wallace, the way he tries really hard for the team. In saying that, I do hope the club is exploring alternative options, as I don't think he is the guy to take us into the future. As others have said above, I wouldn't mind seeing Wallace have a go at hooker. He is solid in defence and has at least some ball skills. Although I do think we should be trying to get Baptiste in sooner rather than later.

The biggest difference between us at the start of the season and now, is Norman. He is just not getting as involved as he used to, and it's hurting us.

Sorry guys if this is too far off topic. I will watch the game when I get back.

user_nat

Coach
As bad as Wallace was, I think sometimes he cops a little too much hate from us Broncos fans. Easy to blame it all on him.

Funny that he will probably end up with more Dally M votes this year than a Bronco ever has before. Which goes to show what a joke the voting is.

paxtonpale

Juniors
It was a good game of footy. I found that Mccoulagh was great! Norman was good as well and it was a shame that Wallace didn't have a good game as I could have seen a Broncs win. The Broncs need a rest and a well earnt rest. I hope they can come back fresh with their origin stars back in action! They should do well! Youngesters are great to watch!

Nightward

Juniors
I'm just a footy follower but every week when Broncos are at home they get every call from the refs. Happened last week against the Bunnies and the ref kept them in the game tonight. I'm sure Flanagan will have something to say about it.

Garbage. The Sharks were head-hunting all night, and the same player whowas put on report for the hit on Hoffman performed an exact copy on Beale.

I don't know if the young Broncos had it in them to win. I do know that the Sharks came up here with a plan to belt them at every opportunity, and the referees elected to allow that to occur.

Latest posts