What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs. Sharks Discussion + Voting

Bow_rider

Juniors
I'm just a footy follower but every week when Broncos are at home they get every call from the refs. Happened last week against the Bunnies and the ref kept them in the game tonight. I'm sure Flanagan will have something to say about it.

Bretto

Bench
Tough night. I've gotta say our forwards really stood up. All the young guys were fantastic, and McGuire had a huge night. I think McCullough made almost 70 tackles. We REALLY miss Parker, Thaiday et al though. Especially their ability to offload and aim up hard in defence.

You can now officially put me in the "concerned" basket about our halves. Wallace was terrible tonight. Corey Norman looks like he doesn't know what to do either. From what I saw tonight, I don't think Wallace has it in him to lead the team around effectively and make the right decisions. Hunt looked dangerous when he was acting half a few times - I still maintain Hunt/Norman is probably our best option. It's hard to fathom that Wallace lacks the skills to lead the team around after playing with Lockyer for so many years.

We really got a roll on there for a good period at the end of the first half, and again for a good portion of the second half, but our creativity in the halves, and stupid errors kept letting the Sharks off the hook.

Would I be right in saying that the Sharks scored 2 tries off kicks, 1 intercept and then 1 where Maranta ddin't clean up properly right at the end? So really only their first try down Brisbane's right hand side defence was a legit line break type try. Our defence really held out well tonight. I remember towards the end there, Alex Glenn made 2 try saving efforts on his own.

We were obviously ravaged by Origin, and then injury during the game, but it's no excuse.

3. McGuire
2. McCullough
1. Glenn

Last edited:

Bretto

Bench
I'm just a footy follower but every week when Broncos are at home they get every call from the refs. Happened last week against the Bunnies and the ref kept them in the game tonight. I'm sure Flanagan will have something to say about it.

You're taking the piss mate. Broncos got held down in the ruck all game and could never get any quick play the balls. The strip penalty on Hunt was about the only dubious call. Both Sharks tries that came from kicks could have gone either way, and to me both looked like knock ons.

What can I say if you did not look closely at the game it would be easy to blame Walace, but he is being made to do it by himself. Norman has been very avg over the last few weeks and is not taking any presure off Walace.

Hook should ban Maca from trying to do those grubers near there ingoal and make him practice passing from dummy half to walace he gave some shockers tonight.

Pretty disipointed we lost to them we should beat alot of sides when were missing players because our spine is in tact, but we got some injurys.

3. Glenn
2. McGuire
1. Beal

IBA

Juniors
Tough game. After 2 injuries we were down 9 of our usual players. People were out of their standard positions all over the park. Hard to win like that.

Wallace had a shocker but I can't question his effort. Norman was completely absent and, as usual, got caught with the ball 100 times. Big wrap on Hunt in defence, he's come a huge way there. McGuire, as usual, has proved his is close to the best prop in the game.

Some terrible dropped balls close to the line, equally bad 5th tackle kicks, too many shitty penalties.

On the reffing, I'm not usually one to complain, but how we didn't get any ruck infringement penalties is beyond me. And the final try, while it didn't change the game, Colin Best was 2 meters in from of whoever stuck their boot out at the grubber. I can't believe no one mentioned it, it was blatant.

Nothing went out way, but still a pretty gutsy effort.

3. McGuire
2. McCullough
1. Hunt

Purely on defence, not much to wrap in attack.

Kiwi

First Grade
Don't blame Wallace he tried his guts out tonight, it's easy to blame him, but Norman was missing and Wallace was left to do it all. The sooner we see Origin as a stand alone round the better, teams like the Broncos get murdered year in year out at this time due to supplying so many players.

user_nat

Coach
He tried, but that doesn't make stupid plays any less stupid.

I do agree that Norman doing jack all is the bigger issue though.

Big Pete

Referee
Norman actually threw some great passes at the line, but Wallace didn't take advantage of them.

They were money passes too, tries were on.

One of them ended up being a try too...a 90m one infact...

IBA

Juniors
He had absolutely nothing in support but he had some pretty shitty decisions.

Give us our regular team back for a few weeks in a row and we shouldn't have any problems.

Also, please never play Lui at lock again...

Any reports on Reed or Hoffman? I'd guess Hoffman should be right, just a couple of heavy knocks from what I gather.

IBA

Juniors
He had absolutely nothing in support but he had some pretty shitty decisions.

Give us our regular team back for a few weeks in a row and we shouldn't have any problems.

Also, please never play Lui at lock again...

Any reports on Reed or Hoffman? I'd guess Hoffman should be right, just a couple of heavy knocks from what I gather.

user_nat

Coach
Bye should do us some good. Some people need the break.

Hopefully everyone gets through Wednesday scratch free.

Stinkler

Juniors
Hey guys,

Just popping in to congratulate your team on the effort they put in.
The kids got bashed up, and kept coming, even when they were down to 2 players on the bench.

You've got some good ones. Good luck keeping them all!
There's a few that will be in the sights of some cashed up footy clubs soon I'd say.

See you in the finals!

Mr Fourex

Bench
Some seem surprised by Peter Wallace's inept performance.

I'm not.

He tried his heart out and I can forgive him for about 98 out of the 100+ mistakes he made tonight. That was just Peter..... being Peter

but;

1. Runs 50m on the back end of a good inside ball (Hunt I think) and then throws a pass that was never going to make McC in a million years?:crazy:

We lose possession and the momentum.

2. Throws an intercept pass to the Sharks winger Stapleton and Cronulla score. Turning point of the match. Almost game over after that......

Those two things sum up Peter Wallace in a nutshell. With the ball in his hands he has NFI what to do with it. It's all throw and hope.....kick and hope......run and hope. His whole attacking game is based on this pathetic disposition.

He has zero vision on the football field and the harder he tries to see, the more he ends up stumbling over his own feet.

Corey Norman is putting pressure on Wallace........pfft!!! Please, you can not be serious. Norman threw some nice passes to Wallace tonight, only for Wallace to get caught with the ball, throw a speculative pass or put in a shit kick

........cheap turnovers.

Yes Norman was quiet over all and I'm disappointed he didn't get more involved but that's not so easy when you have a Peter Wallace in front of you, hell bent on redemption for his ever growing list of errors and desperately trying to involve himself in every play

and only succeeding in digging himself deeper and deeper into the hopeless numpty abyss.

Here's food for thought. If McC can't play 80 mins (although he sure looked like he can tonight) ....IF McC can't play 80 mins

bring Hunt on into half and slip the ranga into dummy half. Wallace can defend. It's his one and only redeeming quality. He is even a chance of a 40/20 from the ruck.

We gotta see more of Hunt and Norman together on the football field being given a chance of playing to their full potential.

===============================================

Geez Whitchurch looks a goer..........still very young, but he threatened just about every time he ran the ball back. Maranta and Copely a bit quiet, but solid enough (apart from the brain explosion at the end by Maranta).

Beale tried to spark up at times, without any real success.

Gibb continues to impress me. The OTHER Wallace, seems to have future bench prop potential......

Josh Mcguire was the standout again for me. He's a future QLD star. Great captains knock from Glenn. McCullough never stopped all night.

Well played by ALL the young Broncs, they never once threw in the towel.

A shame the bloke who was supposed to be there steadying them, irrefutably let them down

again.

3. McGuire
2. McCullough
1. Glenn

Bretto

Bench
I'm prepared to give Wallace the benefit of the doubt until all our Origin players are back, and we've played a few games as a full team. I think with some more options he may make better decisions. Norman still needs to get more involved.

If Wallace can't improve at the back end of this season, I wouldn't be against trailing Hunt at halfback for the early part of next season. Very unlikely that would ever happen though.

Card Shark

Immortal
How can you criticise your halves after that.

With all your forwards back, they complement each other. Good forwards provide time / space, halves organise forwards to create time / space.

Bretto

Bench

With all your forwards back, they complement each other. Good forwards provide time / space, halves organise forwards to create time / space.

Wallace still kicked 3 grubbers dead when we needed repeat sets, and made about 3 errors in general play. He didn't have a very good game, but like I said, I'm willing to give him more time.

Big Pete

Referee

Forwards will definitely help and I'm not about to suggest replacing him Townsend like some other dingbats on this board but he had a shocker tonight. Our bench forwards fought diligently to make it a contest & Wallace did his best to c**k it up. Norman didn't support him enough & Hunt's service was indeed poor at times but that doesn't excuse some of the terrible choices Wallace has made or the fact he doesn't pass the bloody ball!