What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 - Tigers vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 10th September 7:50pm @Bankwest Stadium

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Does Brooks get cited for punching?
yep, he's also facing one week if he cops an early guilty plea.

Did anyone see the Gagai punch? I ask because I couldn't see it in the numerous replays, but he must have got Brooks a good one judging by the way Brooks looked after the melee

Travitoh

First Grade
yep, he's also facing one week if he cops an early guilty plea.

Did anyone see the Gagai punch? I ask because I couldn't see it in the numerous replays, but he must have got Brooks a good one judging by the way Brooks looked after the melee
I didnt see him throw a punch, then he got 10 in the bin, i think its enough

I reckon he uppercut him during the melee. You can see him drop his shoulder to hit him.

Banked two points.

We book a spot in the finals. Wests Tigers get to lament another bottom 8 finish.

And ok...not the best game. And sure, we might go out in Finals Week 1. But ya gotta be in it to win it.

A full 80 mins of those first 20 mins, and we can beat anyone. Or we beat ourselves.

Feet up for the weekend from this fella.

assess5

Juniors
Why? Because the NRL wants footballers to play football?

I play a lot of golf, a whole lot of golf, I can remember years ago there was always passionate discussions about games, refs etc. for a long time now, maybe a coupla years no one mentions a game at all, no one give's a bugger, if you insist on talking league people just walk away.
Rugby League isn 't a big game, it doesn't have an huge following, just NSW and Queensland really, if you try and talk league in England they look at you with no comprehension at all. Talk league in New Zealand and they'll talk for a short time before swinging the conversation back to the All Blacks
Aussie rules has a far larger following.

It does go well on TV, thats what saves it, it carries sponsors.

callmack1

Staff member
Player of the Game - Round 18: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/11/player-of-the-game-round-18/

I picked Tom here, he was huge for us!

Jed Cartwright Jersey Presentation: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/11/jed-cartwright-jersey-presentation/

Judiciary Update - Dane Gagai: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/11/judiciary-update-dane-gagai/

Honestly can't believe Gags will miss game time for that! What the hell! I might just be one-eyed but I didn't see a punch from him at the time. Might have to watch it again. Fuming with that to be honest!

callmack1 said:

Allan: I thought Corey was really good tonight, a big improvement on last week. His hands at the back were incredible with some great takes, I enjoyed his running game as he got more involved and was pushing up through the middle more which earnt him a brilliant try. But it was his passing game and the way he chimed into the backline that really impressed me. Some of his plays were just like Latrell with sublime quick hands which was great to see. Only negatives were letting a ball dangerously bounce near our line and his failure to field the ball which lead to Brooks' try.

If Gaigai hadn't made that intercept in the second half Souths would have lost that game.
I have never read such a load of absolute drivel, Allen had an absolute shocker, did not make one try saving tackle because he was to slow. He was continually caught out of position because he couldn't keep up with the play, he is just too slow and if Bennett disagrees and doesn't replace Allen we can look to Souths dropping out of the finals at the first hurdle.
We'll agree to disagree here mate. I though Allan was good and he's building nicely. Yes, Corey isn't the fastest but our style of attack doesn't revolve around a zippy fullback, Latrell isn't extremely fast either.

Last edited:

assess5

Juniors
Player of the Game - Round 18: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/11/player-of-the-game-round-18/

I picked Tom here, he was huge for us!

Jed Cartwright Jersey Presentation: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/11/jed-cartwright-jersey-presentation/

Judiciary Update - Dane Gagai: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/11/judiciary-update-dane-gagai/

Honestly can't believe gags will miss game time for that! What the hell! I might just be one-eyed but I didn't see a punch from him at the time. Might have to watch it again. Fuming with that to be honest!

We'll agree to disagree here mate. I though Allan was good and he's building nicely. Yes, Corey isn't the fastest but our style of attack doesn't revolve around a zippy fullback, Latrell isn't extremely fast either.

You can agree to disagree, I think your full of shit, to say Souths game doesn't revolve around a zippy fullback is just childishly silly, if Souths had a speedy fullback they'd use him and Latrell Mitchell is a lot faster than Allen that why Latrell can chime in. Look at the number of time Allen is forced to run side ways or even stop because he can't beat the defense . The silky smooth hands you described was Allen basically batting on.
Anyway, I really don't mean to denigrate Allen, he is a solid footballer after all, but in my view he is far to slow for the positions he is touted for that is wing or fullback.
Rugby league revolves around speed, if you aint got it you don't win.
Did you notice the similarities between the Storm tries and the Tigers tries, each time Allen was turning up three meters after the tries were scored, have a look at the replays.
I don't spose you did.
I disagree, I thought Allen was exceptionally poor, he was always to late.

Travitoh

First Grade
I play a lot of golf, a whole lot of golf,

Weird flex but ok.

I can remember years ago there was always passionate discussions about games, refs etc. for a long time now, maybe a coupla years no one mentions a game at all, no one give's a bugger, if you insist on talking league people just walk away.

That must come down to who we associate with because i find RL conversations easy to find amongst people. Sometimes surprisingly more than i expected.

Rugby League isn 't a big game, it doesn't have an huge following, just NSW and Queensland really

Put that down to the NRL and their lack of interest/investment into expansion.

if you try and talk league in England they look at you with no comprehension at all.

Where in England are you referring? Because I've spent time in Yorkshire and RL is bigger than soccer in many parts that I've been to. I went there to support Leeds United and came away supporting Leeds Rhinos.

Talk league in New Zealand and they'll talk for a short time before swinging the conversation back to the All Blacks

The All Blacks are the pride of the nation. RU is their national sport. It's like an American getting mad because when they try to talk baseball with an Australian, the conversation is diverted to our test team.

Aussie rules has a far larger following.

Aussie Rules has a wider spread following, thanks to their willingness to expand and invest in it.

It does go well on TV, thats what saves it, it carries sponsors.

So there is interest in the game?Otherwise, sponsors wouldn't invest their money into it.

callmack1

Staff member
You can agree to disagree, I think your full of shit, to say Souths game doesn't revolve around a zippy fullback is just childishly silly, if Souths had a speedy fullback they'd use him and Latrell Mitchell is a lot faster than Allen that why Latrell can chime in. Look at the number of time Allen is forced to run side ways or even stop because he can't beat the defense . The silky smooth hands you described was Allen basically batting on.
Anyway, I really don't mean to denigrate Allen, he is a solid footballer after all, but in my view he is far to slow for the positions he is touted for that is wing or fullback.
Did you notice the similarities between the Storm tries and the Tigers tries, each time Allen was turning up three meters after the tries were scored, have a look at the replays.
I don't spose you did.
Alright mate, no need to get aggressive and call me childish and full of shit for having a different opinion to yours. I respect your opinion so respect mine. Different opinions are awesome as it creates good discussion.

Latrell is faster than Allan but I wouldn't exactly consider him a 'zippy' fullback. He's not like Tedesco or Papenhuyzen in that regard. So I stand by my view that our attack doesn't revolve around having a really speedy fullback because Latrell is not that.

You're right, Corey did struggle to beat the defence, that is a huge thing we lose with Latrell being out, that freakish ability to beat a tackle. Allan doesn't have that and probably never will. But I think Corey well and truely held his own last night. He contributed to Graham's first try with yes, 'silky smooth hands,' the catch and pass was perfect. He then had a perfect bat on for the try at the end of the game that AJ bombed. What is wrong with a bat on? That still shows incredible skill to execute it perfectly under pressure.

And yes, I've watched the replays and I don't think Latrell would have saved any of those tries last night either, that's just the way it is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes, I agree Allan isn't the fastest but it's not proving to be as detrimental as you're making it out to be. I just think you're being a bit harsh on him. He deserves credit for a lot of the things he did last night. Just my opinion mate.

handyman2190

Bench
Alright mate, no need to get aggressive and call me childish and full of shit for having a different opinion to yours. I respect your opinion so respect mine. Different opinions are awesome as it creates good discussion.

Latrell is faster than Allan but I wouldn't exactly consider him a 'zippy' fullback. He's not like Tedesco or Papenhuyzen in that regard. So I stand by my view that our attack doesn't revolve around having a really speedy fullback because Latrell is not that.

You're right, Corey did struggle to beat the defence, that is a huge thing we lose with Latrell being out, that freakish ability to beat a tackle. Allan doesn't have that and probably never will. But I think Corey well and truely held his own last night. He contributed to Graham's first try with yes, 'silky smooth hands,' the catch and pass was perfect. He then had a perfect bat on for the try at the end of the game that AJ bombed. What is wrong with a bat on? That still shows incredible skill to execute it perfectly under pressure.

And yes, I've watched the replays and I don't think Latrell would have saved any of those tries last night either, that's just the way it is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes, I agree Allan isn't the fastest but it's not proving to be as detrimental as you're making it out to be. I just think you're being a bit harsh on him. He deserves credit for a lot of the things he did last night. Just my opinion mate.
Allan came with a lot of hype,played presidents 13 from reserve grade, but over the last couple of years has not really proven or evolved into the hype, he is a good replacement/ backup, thats it,tries hard but his speed lets him down, regular first grade, no, bit like AJ, he isnt a first grade FB, handy backup, but a true winger.
Paulo, in all honesty ive seen nothing from him to suggest brilliance, not like eg charlie stains, would he have picked up that gahai intetcept? No way, he may need more development in reserves, brilliant? No, marsters in his couple of games has shown more and i would keep him. If anything burns has gone backwards,injury prone and lost speed,id have to think long and hard to keep him if im looking ay freeing up cap.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Haven't had a chance to look at a replay yet, but did Marsters get injured or did he get hooked for Cartwright?

Tigers scored a couple of those tries down our right side when Cartwright was in, but I didn't see Marsters out there when this was happening.

If this is the case, I don't know why Bennett did that, it could have cost us the game because Cartwright showed he definitely ain't a centre.

CliveC

Juniors
I don't spose you did.
Stick with the golf pal!

assess5

Juniors
Weird flex but ok.

That must come down to who we associate with because i find RL conversations easy to find amongst people. Sometimes surprisingly more than i expected.

Maybe I associate with a lot of older people who have lost interest because of perceived changed to the rules of the game e.g. RL cleaning up of the game with the Gagai/Brooks incident highlighting what many people would see as an unnecessary intervention by a judiciary'
Drove a country school bus for a year and the kids only interest was 'oh, my dad used follow them'. Surprisingly, the kids, girls and boys loved soccer or netball.

Put that down to the NRL and their lack of interest/investment into expansion.

From what we saw just recently, with the Vlander ascension, NRL has invested in an whole lot of things.

Where in England are you referring? Because I've spent time in Yorkshire and RL is bigger than soccer in many parts that I've been to. I went there to support Leeds United and came away supporting Leeds Rhinos.

Cheshire, just a stones throw from Yorkshire. I really find it hard to believe that Rugby of any description is more popular than football anywhere in England, actually I first met up with an hotel full of pomms in Turkey. They were from all over England, I can only recall total interest
when mentioning RL.

The All Blacks are the pride of the nation. RU is their national sport. It's like an American getting mad because when they try to talk baseball with an Australian, the conversation is diverted to our test team.

Aussie Rules has a wider spread following, thanks to their willingness to expand and invest in it.

So there is interest in the game?Otherwise, sponsors wouldn't invest their money into it.

Yep, ten million for RL one billion for AFL wasn't it.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Latest posts