What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Broncos

Walsh is a flashy player. However, flashy doesn’t necessarily mean polished. For every good play he makes/creates, he matches or doubles down with negative coach-killer plays. The 2023 GF is a fine example of this:

Walsh positive:
- Cuts Cleary to break the line and send Mam over for his third try

Walsh negative:
- Had a chance to help Staggs out in trying to keep Crichton from scoring but, instead, went for the hero hit and ends up taking out Cobbo instead
- Tries a pathetic slap tackle on Cleary because he wasn’t in the line where he was supposed to be, leaving a gap for Cleary to run straight through. We know the rest…..

Chins get the wins

First Grade
We didn't get anywhere near as close to a premiership with Moylan. He carried us to 4th.

Walsh is comfortably a better player. Both strike me as having similar attitudes though and I'd not be surprised if Walsh fails to sustain his success in a similar way to Moylan.
Walsh has crazy speed but Moylan's brief peak was some of the best ballplaying in the last 30 years. Was great fun

Goonji

Juniors
Reece walsh is an incredible footy player.

No point comparing him to dyl they are completely different.

Brisbane dont make the gf or go close last year without him. Hes a special player.

I wouldnt take any fb over dyl but walsh is an excitement machine.
His super power is his speed, step and swerve. Beyond that there’s not much else.

WestyLife

First Grade
His super power is his speed, step and swerve. Beyond that there’s not much else.

People underrate his ability to pass both ways at speed accurately. Makes it so you have to account for his own running game and the centre/winger. It's mentally devastating for edge defenders trying to make decisions.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Walsh is very similar to Billy Slater when he came into first grade, complete with all the same mistakes.

If he gets his shit together and keeps his speed he'll carve teams up for a long time.
Don't think he has the same ticker. He also won't play his whole career with Cam Smith

soc123_au

Staff member
Don't think he has the same ticker. He also won't play his whole career with Cam Smith
Walsh is a freak with the natural talent he has been given, but I'm not sure it's ticker so much, but ego. Broncos with Walters in charge isn't really the place to keep him grounded. Give him to Bellamy and in 10 years the convo is who was better, Slater or Walsh. If things stay as they are it is more likely to be who pissed it up against the wall more, Walsh or Barba.

To be fair I thought the same with Ponga, as he has matured he has fixed up a lot of the faults in his game. His eggshell skull and body is his biggest worry. Fix his body and stick him in a half decent system and he would be unplayable.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Reece walsh is an incredible footy player.

No point comparing him to dyl they are completely different.

Brisbane dont make the gf or go close last year without him. Hes a special player.

I wouldnt take any fb over dyl but walsh is an excitement machine.

Incredible footy players have composure under pressure and can defend.

Reece Walsh is a freak with the ball, no doubt, but he’s really lacking in other important areas.

Girds89

Bench
Incredible footy players have composure under pressure and can defend.

Reece Walsh is a freak with the ball, no doubt, but he’s really lacking in other important areas.

Hes 21 years old. Hes one of the most gifted players in the game. He has iced some big moments under plenty of pressure in his short time. The defensive side will come. Hes not terrible by any means..hes just learning still as all players are at that age.

If you look at where other great fbs in our game were at the same age its incredibly impressive how he is tracking.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Hes 21 years old. Hes one of the most gifted players in the game. He has iced some big moments under plenty of pressure in his short time. The defensive side will come. Hes not terrible by any means..hes just learning still as all players are at that age.

If you look at where other great fbs in our game were at the same age it’sincredibly impressive how he is tracking.

What has he iced?

For a NRL level FB, with 60 odd games under his belt, he gets caught out of position way too much. It costs the Broncos games. Including a GF.

I understand the hype, but if you were basing it off what he actually produces on the field, he definitely in my opinion, he’s over rated.

Girds89

Bench
What has he iced?

For a NRL level FB, with 60 odd games under his belt, he gets caught out of position way too much. It costs the Broncos games. Including a GF.

I understand the hype, but if you were basing it off what he actually produces on the field, he definitely in my opinion, he’s over rated.

Absolutely plenty..they dont even make the gf last year if it wasn't for him.. hes had some huge moments in stage of origin the biggest stage.

Yes he is learning the defensive side, importance of directing the team around amd his own positioning.

What he produces on the field in attack... he is arguably the most naturally gifted player in the comp.. he has a long and short kicking game. His ball playing is elite..his running game is elite and probably the hardest bloke to contain in the comp..

And he is 21yo.. theres not a whole lot of blokes that come into the nrl and instantly have impeccable defence and rewd the game perfectly.

Look at michael jennings.. Absolutely brilliant with ball in hand in his younger years. Took him a good 4 or 5 years before he became a top level defender.

He was 4th last year for lba
5th try assists
Well more than anyone in the broncos side.. he created big plays for them all last year when they needed it. Hes been a bit unlucky thos year with injuries etc.

Yeah he missed a tackle under super fatigue in the gf on a night that was hot as hell against the mighty pennies. They dont make the gf if it wasnt for him.

You dont play 70nrl games and 4 origins before you turn 22. The kids a supreme talent and i think he will go down as one of the best fbs in the game.

If he (and im sure he will) work on his defence and organisation in defence he will be up their with the better fbs in the game when he retires

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Absolutely plenty..they dont even make the gf last year if it wasn't for him.. hes had some huge moments in stage of origin the biggest stage.

Yes he is learning the defensive side, importance of directing the team around amd his own positioning.

What he produces on the field in attack... he is arguably the most naturally gifted player in the comp.. he has a long and short kicking game. His ball playing is elite..his running game is elite and probably the hardest bloke to contain in the comp..

And he is 21yo.. theres not a whole lot of blokes that come into the nrl and instantly have impeccable defence and rewd the game perfectly.

Look at michael jennings.. Absolutely brilliant with ball in hand in his younger years. Took him a good 4 or 5 years before he became a top level defender.

He was 4th last year for lba
5th try assists
Well more than anyone in the broncos side.. he created big plays for them all last year when they needed it. Hes been a bit unlucky thos year with injuries etc.

Yeah he missed a tackle under super fatigue in the gf on a night that was hot as hell against the mighty pennies. They dont make the gf if it wasnt for him.

You dont play 70nrl games and 4 origins before you turn 22. The kids a supreme talent and i think he will go down as one of the best fbs in the game.

If he (and im sure he will) work on his defence and organisation in defence he will be up their with the better fbs in the game when he retires

Sounds like you’re saying he has the potential to be an incredible player.

I think he’s got plenty to work on before I’d be making these kinda statements.