What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Broncos

Kilkenny

Coach
Semi Radradra says hello. Easily the best ever and not much of an argument
He was certainly very, very good, but small sample size, what four seasons in the NRL.

I think before you start having conversations around the best ever you probably need to be talking about players who did the business for a lot longer than say half a dozen seasons.

hindy111

Post Whore
He was certainly very, very good, but small sample size, what four seasons in the NRL.

I think before you start having conversations around the best ever you probably need to be talking about players who did the business for a lot longer than say half a dozen seasons.

Brian Too is a great player but the greatest is hard to say. He is the greatest meter eater I have seen. But he isn't going 90mtrs cause he lacks the speed. And he isn't an aerial threat like Zac Lomax is right now.
He also gets to play in a very very dominant side which makes it so much easier for him. Guys like Sailor,McDougall also where meter eaters. I dont feel like it is a new thing.

I agree Semi could of been the best ever had he stayed in the NRL but a small sample size.

Original Name

Juniors
The game changed but. Forwards where making more meters then now. Sides use their backs more to keep forwards fresher in defense. Most sides do it now.
Yeah and the game changed because To'o and Penrith changed it. The game changed because To'o was so good other teams couldn't compete with their style at the time in other words.

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Different wingers over the years have offered different strengths. To’o has obviously benefited from playing in a side who have made four consecutive Grand Finals, the best winger of all time is a big call. Recency bias plays a big part in such a call, brilliant player, fits our needs needs entirely not sure about the best ever.
While I agree that recency bias plays a big part in these types of arguments, my opinion is based on what Bizza has achieved in a relatively short time.

He’s won three premierships in a row and for a winger, played a huge role in all three of those seasons.

He’s performed extremely well at Origin and Samoa.

He Consistently plays extremely well, that’s hard to do.

WestyLife

First Grade
If that was the case, why wasn't it rampant throughout the NRL prior to 2020, and Penrith doing it. ?

It was players just weren't as good at it as To'o. Props have always waited for the attack to catch up to them with the backs taking hit ups. It's such a basic part of the game I'm surprised this is even a discussion.

In the ‘Hook’ coaching era we relied heavily on the work of Mansour and DWZ to get us out of our own end. They did a great job if I remember correctly.

Yeah Mansour was really good until he did his ACL in training camp for Aus when Josh Dugan ran into him and then did that nasty face injury. He was exactly what To'o is now in style. Again Bizza just does it better.

Fangs

Coach
Some outside backs did it differently. Not always arge and barge.

Who could forget Shannon Hegarty? His dummy-half scoots were legendary.

Seriously though Justin Hodges would always beat his man when running from dummy-half. It was predictable and everyone knew he would run but he had such a big step and would always beat the first marker.

To'o is predictable as well taking the 1 pass hit-up but you just can't stop the bloke. Total machine.

Kilkenny

Coach
It was players just weren't as good at it as To'o. Props have always waited for the attack to catch up to them with the backs taking hit ups. It's such a basic part of the game I'm surprised this is even a discussion.

Yeah Mansour was really good until he did his ACL in training camp for Aus when Josh Dugan ran into him and then did that nasty face injury. He was exactly what To'o is now in style. Again Bizza just does it better.
I think in Josh Mansour best years & form his key stats would be comparable to Brian To’o. Josh’s best years were in a pretty good to very good side while Brian has played in premiership winning sides.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think in Josh Mansour best years & form his key stats would be comparable to Brian To’o. Josh’s best years were in a pretty good to very good side while Brian has played in premiership winning sides.
Mansour carried an average pack in the early years. The guy doesn't get enough credit imo. To'o is our best ever, but if we were picking an alltime side I'd have peak Sauce on the other wing without batting an eyelid. Rooney unlucky probably, but I'd take Sauce over him every day.

The main thing that separates the 2 of them apart from the sides they were in is Sauce was a special for a 30 metre tackle busting run with a drop ball at the end of it. To'o barely makes errors (havent checked stats, but I dont recall many) To'o is better defensively as well, but has also had better defenders around him for the most part, so not weighing that too heavily.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Mansour carried an average pack in the early years. The guy doesn't get enough credit imo. To'o is our best ever, but if we were picking an alltime side I'd have peak Sauce on the other wing without batting an eyelid. Rooney unlucky probably, but I'd take Sauce over him every day.

The main thing that separates the 2 of them apart from the sides they were in is Sauce was a special for a 30 metre tackle busting run with a drop ball at the end of it. To'o barely makes errors (havent checked stats, but I dont recall many) To'o is better defensively as well, but has also had better defenders around him for the most part, so not weighing that too heheavily.
Mick Gordon shits on Sauce

soc123_au

Staff member
Mick Gordon shits on Sauce
One was a winger the other was a fullback.

Gordon also suffered from being coached by Elliott. If he came through later the discussion would be different. As a winger I reckon I'd still go Sauce, but Gordon would make me think about it a bit more. I didn't think of him when posting originally tbh.

Latest posts