What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 vs. Sharks Discussion + Voting

Dazzat

First Grade
If Griffin loved Maranta, why did he drop him when he could for Kahu and Whitchurch?

Truth is, the depth just isn't there. Even Kemp was out injured last week.

Surely ANYONE is better than Maranta though .... by all calculations last week he let in two tries and bombed three. That's a five try turnaround. Surely that performance by Maranta last week gutted the whole team - when you put all the work in to set up a try, and then a winger can be bothered going in low to ground a ball ...

And let's not forget the continuing selection of Hunt on the bench, and the brushing of Baptiste. This is inexcusable.

I read in interviewed that the team were going through this soul searching after the loss during the week, but you know what ... real soul searching doesn't really happen until you're own position is put on the line.

I very much doubt if anything will change this week, and it pains me to agree with many posters on this thread. Every loss is a step closer to the club taking some positive action, and making the changes that need to be made.

Big Pete

Referee
Look, I would have dropped Maranta for anybody personally but the only player available realistically is Delroy Berryman and he's off to the Sea Eagles next year and honestly is 'ok' at best.

I'm unsure how the second tier cap situation is either.

AceAv

Juniors
My biggest problem with maranta is his speed. I think you can coach the other problems out of him and tbh we have no choice but to persist with him...

I honestly think he learned a lesson or two last game and will be better for it. But as a long term option, he just isn't a 1st grade player and once we get our depth back tag him under "USE IN EMERGENCIES ONLY"

Dazzat

First Grade
Even if Berryman was marginally worse than Maranta ... doesn't matter.

I am more concerned about the message the coach is sending the players - a message that is megaphoned this week with the selection of Maranta again.

That message is: You can play like crap and will retain your place in the team. And of course, that is a financial message as well. I imagine many of the players have performance clauses in their contracts, and when they don't make first grade they don't get paid as much.

You really start thinking about your performance when it hits you in the back pocket.

Until the coach changes this way of coaching and team selection we will continue to see once off good performances by the team - like against the Warriors - which are soon followed by pathetic performances like last week, due to a team who are comfortable in the knowing that their position in the team is assured.

AceAv

Juniors
Wow didn't know that Daz & agree whole heartedly. Griff is just too forgiving as always. Look at Wallace, Maca & Prince... What's it going to take before we drop them to Q Cup..>?

PS I am really hopeful we can come out like we did vs Tigz and snag a victory here. Hannant and McG will be huge and I am pumped about Tasi and also Oates+Stagg. Should at least be another close game. Sharks will be without a few stars too.

Big Pete

Referee
The only reason Maranta is keeping his place though is because we've lost Hodges & Reed.

I wouldn't have complained about dropping him for Berryman but I can understand Hook's decision and it doesn't come down to favoritism.

unbreaK

Juniors
As Pete said.. our backline would be 1. Norman 2. Kahu 3. Hodges 4. Reed 5. Hoffman - If we didn't have injuries / origin.

Dazzat

First Grade
Just looking at some other teams this week ... many young players who I've never heard of getting a start. Meanwhile, at the Broncos ...

How many new players have we blooded this year? Kahu? Oates? Glandville? Can't think of any others. So for all our injuries and poor form, three new players in the top grade, one who is a tried and tested Qld Cup performer.

Dazzat

First Grade
The coach's approach in team selection is "take no risks" ... very conservative. Stick with the tried and tested even if they don't deliver.

This no risk approach is also found in our attacking style. Same plays every week. Nothing new. Predictable.

When you consider Steven Kearney is assistant coach I think you can start to see the issues here. Both Griffin and Kearney come across as very, very conservative characters. Perhaps the combination of the two is the problem. If Griffin had an assistant who was a completely different character - like Kevvie Walters - perhaps he could deliver.

Lots of "coulds" and "ifs".

Big Pete

Referee
What would your team look like Daz?

All well and good to want a bunch of new blood in the team but the sad fact is the new blood isn't ready yet.

There would only be two maybe three changes I'd consider making but I can see the pros and cons in all three so it isn't clear cut. Maranta doesn't deserve to be in the 17, that's for sure, but who do you replace him with? Delroy is basically the only option and he's off to Manly next year and his form isn't deserving either. Plus, it would just put strain on our second tier cap which has been an issue for a number of clubs this season.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
If I'm a forward and I look across and see the scoring hope of my team is Maranta that will bring the whole team down. There must be a half a dozen options for wing who have more speed than young Maranta. I would argue that Maranta has never been ready for first grade and never will.

Dazzat

First Grade
I would pick your postman over Maranta. He is a dead weight to the team and is as much a finisher as what George Rose is!

I imagine you mean George Rose as he is currently - out with a leg injury.

I could name two players from QCup who are solid defenders and could have gone in the centres and pushed Hoffman back on the wing - Paul Ivan and Jason Moon. Both would do no worse than Maranta.

Shea Moylan and Liam Georgetown were both named in the Queensland Residents team ... so are obviously the form wingers in the competition.

Big Pete

Referee
Both players are centres and are woeful. You made similar points about Whitchurch and you know what he did Daz? Went out and had an even worse game than Maranta! Yes, Maranta doesn't deserve to be there but honestly there isn't anybody there to replace him.

That doesn't indicate form at all, it shows how bad the selections are/how average the Qld Cup has been this year.

johns_reds

First Grade
Maranta_zps8f620d56.jpg

f**k me that is good, couldn't stop laughing

H-Bomb

Juniors
Hannant's out.
Cant remember the last time I was less excited to go to a game.
Looking forward to seeing how Tasi goes. Was shocked to see his name on the team list, wouldve thought for sure we signed him and would play him Qcup for the whole year.

I think the sharks can cover for their losses much better than us. If you can lose a Lewis and Gallen and bring in players like Bukuya and Ross, who have plenty of experience and are extremely reliable (particularly Ross). Your in a better position than bringing in a Lui for a thaiday or Gillett.

In saying that Ill still be there drunk and swearing probably. Hope for some effort and maybe some luck.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeh Hannant diminishes our chances greatly... Hope they throw Tasi in the deep-end. But Anderson probably will be the man to take the run on...

So sigh @ 2013