What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 v Titans

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
HOPE Shawshank redemption movie
Morgan freeman said it I think.
I thought the Shawshank redemption quote was “hope is a dangerous thing” I’ve been hoping these dopes would finally turn things around finally. Nope not this year. Will have to hope for next year again then.

thebigredv

First Grade
One gripe - sorry but Ramsey at centre I just can't see working. Name another centre that's played in the NRL in the last 5 years that's been around 80kg. It just isn't right, he will be physically worked over but at least he will put his body on the line knowing him.

Why do I expect our player's to use their brains when the coach clearly can't???

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Mate, you are one of the most level headed posters here. I admire that.
However, we got smashed by a piss poor Titans team...... even by their low standards.
Today was make or break. BBQ gate doesn't cut it. We had enough there to win, but this mob is disjointed and dare I say divided.
Hooks job now is not to focus on 2021, but to clear the deadwood, and find a way to gel this team. Watching players turn on each other says it all.
Thanks Tru, always try to see some light at the end of the tunnel…however, often a train this year.Agree totally on clearing the decks and aiming for next year. Already some of that happening; Norman, Dufty, JP, Ellis all going and I think Beale and Alvaro will be depth players in the reggies. Definitely still need a creative dummy half, a middle forward and a centre. Despite the Titans generally woeful season they have some star power. Fifita is a monster. I thought out coached today too. They went wide from their own line then worked back in to our middle knowing we have lazy middle forwards they even switched Fifita from his left side to the right probably deliberately to target Ramsay and we did not adjust at all.
Bunnies next week could be scary bad…..

TruSaint

Referee
Thanks Tru, always try to see some light at the end of the tunnel…however, often a train this year.Agree totally on clearing the decks and aiming for next year. Already some of that happening; Norman, Dufty, JP, Ellis all going and I think Beale and Alvaro will be depth players in the reggies. Definitely still need a creative dummy half, a middle forward and a centre. Despite the Titans generally woeful season they have some star power. Fifita is a monster. I thought out coached today too. They went wide from their own line then worked back in to our middle knowing we have lazy middle forwards they even switched Fifita from his left side to the right probably deliberately to target Ramsay and we did not adjust at all.
Bunnies next week could be scary bad…..

Good summary mate. 👍

carltonsouth79

First Grade
In the 12th minute, the Titans received the ball from the kick off and, without a single long-range line-break, went 81 metres in five tackles before scoring.

This isn't rule changes or fatigue or crackdowns or injuries or BBQs or suspensions - it's just garbage.

If this is the product of our defensively-minded, old school disciplinarian coach then may as well write off 2022 as well.
They did make huge yardage against us. That’s what baffles me with Hook and the coaches. If he is an old school defensive coach we shouldn’t be leaking these yards and scores. We mightn’t look pretty but our defence should be first rate. That‘s what Bennett did, defence first then the attack eventually came.We seem to be just all over the shop….

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Yes it was Morgan Freeman, and he was holding a spoon in a certain way, pointing it to Tim Robbins.

That’s one hope quote. The one at the end is the hope is a good thing quote, he hopes the Pacific is as blue as in his dreams….I think it’s time to watch some movies rather than our games for the next few weeks…..

thebigredv

First Grade
They did make huge yardage against us. That’s what baffles me with Hook and the coaches. If he is an old school defensive coach we shouldn’t be leaking these yards and scores. We mightn’t look pretty but our defence should be first rate. That‘s what Bennett did, defence first then the attack eventually came.We seem to be just all over the shop….
After the first 2 points of the match we switched off and it was all back pedalling defence from then on. That was about 5 mins into the game. We haven't seen patience with the ball all year and that is not to be confused with some of the aimless one out hit us near the line with no one running angles. The coach has to also come under scrutiny for this. Did I even see an offload today?

kit66

Bench
In the 12th minute, the Titans received the ball from the kick off and, without a single long-range line-break, went 81 metres in five tackles before scoring.

This isn't rule changes or fatigue or crackdowns or injuries or BBQs or suspensions - it's just garbage.

If this is the product of our defensively-minded, old school disciplinarian coach then may as well write off 2022 as well.

And I don't expect any improvement this year, not from our forwards at least. We're done. Losing McInnes was huge, he lead by example and dictated our line speed and his darts out of dummy half were a bonus. He may not have been the greastest organizer at rake but he did a better job at that than McCullough I think. McCullough is barely keeping his head above water, 80 minutes is killing him. The thing is now, on top of that we lose our best forward in Vaughan. Lawrie and Kerr in the first half made a combined 59 metres with little better from the rest of the pack, how are our halves supposed to work with that. That's against fairly average opposition.

Post of the year!

Lovemedragons

Juniors
They did make huge yardage against us. That’s what baffles me with Hook and the coaches. If he is an old school defensive coach we shouldn’t be leaking these yards and scores. We mightn’t look pretty but our defence should be first rate. That‘s what Bennett did, defence first then the attack eventually came.We seem to be just all over the s

As WB the old master knows - it all starts with defense - he recruits the right mix of the right players and gets the defence working first before even thinking about attack. He did this with us in 2009, got that right and then worried about attack. This current rabble have got worse in defence since the start of the season and today they reached the bottom...until next week comes along.

Griffin has not left any mark at all, this mob are the same spineless effortless defensive line up as last year....sadly.

When it was still nil-all, the dumb Josh Kerr set the tone for the rest of the game. Instead of tackling Ash Taylor in the in-goal and getting us a repeat set he gives him a big, two-handed shove off the ball and expects to be awarded a try, like no-one was watching.
When they were handing out brains he thought they said trains - but it doesn't look like he does that either.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
As WB the old master knows - it all starts with defense - he recruits the right mix of the right players and gets the defence working first before even thinking about attack. He did this with us in 2009, got that right and then worried about attack. This current rabble have got worse in defence since the start of the season and today they reached the bottom...until next week comes along.

Griffin has not left any mark at all, this mob are the same spineless effortless defensive line up as last year....sadly.
I remember Wayne at a presser in 2009 where they had a go at him that the attack wasn't there and was he worried? He said ,no. They said why not? He replied-because I know what I’m doing… Hopefully Hook does too and we see more of his team than transition from the Mary era in 2022

carltonsouth79

First Grade
After the first 2 points of the match we switched off and it was all back pedalling defence from then on. That was about 5 mins into the game. We haven't seen patience with the ball all year and that is not to be confused with some of the aimless one out hit us near the line with no one running angles. The coach has to also come under scrutiny for this. Did I even see an offload today?
Agree on the offloads. We don’t have much second phase play normally and even less today. Titans looked like the Storm with their offloads…..