What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

beave

Coach
I have never thought much of Tate, Winterstein is pretty run of the mill. Hodges comes across as a complete f**khead but he is by far the better centre. Where was that said BP???

Big Pete

Referee
Stampede forums, Round 2 thread.

I can sort of forgive Tate. I disagree of course, but he's at least achieved something in his career and performed well in the big games but Winterstein? He's barely a one season wonder and it became apparent when Hunt wasn't feeding him good ball there wasn't a lot else to like. He did really well to turn his career around since he was rejected at NYC level but to even put him at Hodges level is such a laugh.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
Anyone heard anything about what sort of crowd they are expecting?

If it is lower than previous Broncs v Cowboys games and Suncorp, I think the NRL will have to take the hit on this. IMO, they made a mistake by scheduling this for round 2. Should have been the season opener...

beave

Coach
Bit hard when Suncorp was booked out last Friday for the Roar game.................

Big Pete

Referee
Scheduling was a little off but you expect that when you bump the season ahead a week. In the future I hope the NRL aspires to schedule an opener at Suncorp. It just doesn't feel right without it.

broncos70

Juniors
I hope Beale gets shot. Also, we need to give mcguire way more time, cos he was absolutely rolling over the cowboys then got subbed for thaiday. Keep thaiday out of the freakin front row, we have enough front rowers. It's an absolute joke that mcguire doesn't get 50 minutes a game. He'd be doing 80 minutes at other clubs.

IBA

Juniors
Ughh can we pretend that didn't happen?

Agree wholeheartedly that Thaiday needs to be out of the front row. McGuire was excellent and Hannant was good. Petro was a bit of an anticlimax, not great performance. I want to say good performance from Parker but 2 of the tries against us were on him.

Not sure what to make of the game. Our first half severely lacked leadership. Needed more from Thaiday in the forwards and more from Wallace in the backs/generally in attack.

Norman had some awful decisions tonight. McCulloughs first stint was pretty, pretty average. I actually thought Hunt had a good game for the 2nd week in a row. Reed and Hodges tried hard. Beale can get shot for all I care, he is a subpar winger and the fullback spot is taken.

Still not sure what to think of it.

Big Pete

Referee
Ah well, that was a tough loss to cop but you just got to wear them at the end of the day.

Forwards got rolled and that's where we lost it.

It's a frustrating one because honestly both sides were pretty much equal to one another. A couple of dusty tries & calls and the Cowboys take the biccies. We definitely made some mistakes though, so we can't place all the blame there. Parker, Beale & Norman may have been the main culprits but I think you look across the team and it wasn't like everyone wasn't without a mistake in some fashion.

Hard to really pin-point any real stand outs early. As weird as it sounds, I thought our general defence was great and gave us a ton of opportunities. Think I might go...

3. Alex Glenn
2. Justin Hodges
1. Ben Hannant

Last edited:

IBA

Juniors
Oh yeah I forgot voting...

Tough one.

2. Hodges - Played like another 2nd rower. Love that he is getting involved
2. Hoffman - Solid effort. Shame about the Bowen strip but t happens...
1. Parker - Despite the poor reads that led to tries, just a huge amount of work by him tonight.
1. Wallace - Nothing specific - he looked for work and did it well. Still expecting more of him though

josh1111

Juniors
Beale is shit. Norman is shit.
Not much more to say really.
Been saying this for the past 3 years.
Oh.. and Gagai is the man!

Piss off you have no idea Norman may have made a couple of mistake but I love how he takes on the line. He has a booming left boot , and he can be a great 5/8. But still think Glen is the best of the young fellas, he could be anything.

3. hannet
2. Glenn
1. Teo

Snappy

Coach
Every team we play now is just gunna bomb the crap out of Beale and know that he'll drop it at least once.

From what Ive seen so far I dont think we will really trouble the top teams this year. Seen how good Manly is playing ? They will demolish us if we dont improve ten fold.

Country Bronco

Juniors
I was at the game and enjoyed it. Still early cobwebs so again not going to be too judgemental. Major difference to last week is that we defended poorly.

3 McGuire
2 Hodges
1 Hunt

lockyno1

Post Whore
Beale is one brain stupid footballer...he lets the ball go..we win...he tries to be Billy Slater and drops it!

3- McGuire
2-Wallace
1- Norman

broncos70

Juniors
3 mcguire
2 hodges
1 hunt

like i've said before..hunt>norman. even at hooker hunt>mccullough. macca has 3 good games at the end of each year which keeps him safe for the next yr. It's absolutely crap. Barring the one bad pass, hunt was extremely good and dangerous.

I also think that norman stifles Hoffman in attack. He's pretty much a second fullback on the field.

If we wanted a bloody running 5/8 we should've gone with gillett, because gillett deserves 80 mins, and is a much better runner than norman.

mcguire dominated again, but didn't get much time.

AuDragon

Juniors
Agree with the gist of most posts...

Thaiday back to 2nd row, more McGuire time, less Beale on the wing. Think pretty much everyone can agree...

Norman is finding his feet and isn't afraid to try some stuff. He needs to time and execute better, but hopefully that will come with time. The Te'o try was quick thinking from him, and that's what we want from a halve!

Parker and Thaiday made mistakes you don't usually see from them, and alongside Beale's inability to deal with the high ball and the wing spot, ended up costing us the game. That and not so little push from the refs, namely in the 1st half.

Good game from Wallace, Hodgo, Hoffman, Yow Yeh, Reed, Glenn, McGuire and Hunt. Average from most others and below par from Parker and mostly Beale.

Our defense was crap through the middle, and although the Cows had some individual standouts in the forwards, the stats favour us slightly.

Most important is that we learn from this like we learned from the Panthers game last season, and hopefully Griffin will tweak the team where it's needed.

3- Wallace
2- McGuire
1- Hunt

00digger00

Juniors
Hodges 3
Mc Guire 2
Hunt 1
I thought we looked a little done out there tonight. Lots of hands on hips and blokes down on there haunches.
Norman if you want to take on the line every time you have the ball put a 3 or a 4 on your back. Your a ball player, not a ball runner.
Agreed with Thaiday back to the 2nd row and Mc Guire needs to start. He was awesome out there tonight but needs more minutes.
I would have been happy to leave Hunt out there for the whole 2nd half. Thought he looked good and pretty strong in defense.

Latest posts