What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

qld aussie

Juniors
1.Mcquire
1.Wallace
1.Hunt
We lost the game in the first 5 mins when we allowed the cows to walk up the field and score under the posts.
Please can we start with Petro. Poor decision by coach not to start him. Thaiday to backrow. Mcquire to start. Teo & Hannant bench. Hunt is all over Macca at the moment. Norman some poor kicking options tonight try passing the FFFFF..............n ball. Parker great worker but often dies with especially on 4th tackle when we should be a bit more creative. Can we please not use Gillett as a decoy runner need to get the ball in his hands as often as possible. Beale if still in the team maybe swap with Reed cause he aint a FFFF........n winger.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think the difference between the two teams was..... Matt Bowen. Scored two tries that most other players couldn't score. Unfortunately the Broncs aren't blessed with such blistering pace (Beale is supposed to be our fastest?!).

Scott and Tamou shat all over us in the prop department. Though McGuire was good when he came on. Glenn had a good game.

I might need to watch it again, as I thought Norman went ok. He did look quite dangerous at times when taking the line on. But as you guys say needs to learn when to pass and when to run. Can Norman please do the clearing kicks. Wallace's long boot is pretty bad, and his bombs are so small that the chasers don't even get a chance to claim the FB when he takes it.

Disappointed with Macca. This should be his break out season.

3. Glenn
2. McGuire
1. Hodges

broncos70

Juniors
If we want a running 5/8 then I'd go with Gillett. I still think Hunt and Wallace should be the halves. Norman seriously passed the ball once. Ran it every bloody time and is trying to play the role that hoffman plays. He can't be a fullback in the 6.

I think Beale played himself out of a new contract. Gagai seriously needs to be in this team. I have a feeling Beale will be replaced by Copley if he's replaced, which would be even worse.

qld aussie

Juniors
If we want a running 5/8 then I'd go with Gillett. I still think Hunt and Wallace should be the halves. Norman seriously passed the ball once. Ran it every bloody time and is trying to play the role that hoffman plays. He can't be a fullback in the 6.

Might be a good to start Hunt instead of McCullough put some pressure on him.
Norman looks to have the potential to make a good 5/8 probably needs more time.Should of gave him a season in Qcup 2011 instead of wasteing time in U'20s there is big step from 20's to NRL standard. If you play Gillette at 5/8 he will at least be on the field & can kick a ball. Wallaces long kicking game aint going to help us.

Big Pete

Referee
Didn't think I'd put myself through it but I just watched the replay on FoxSports.

In a lot of ways it was befitting that they replayed the 2007 Round 1 game before the 9 telecast because there were a lot of similarities, none more so than the individual brilliance of Matt Bowen.

Watching the game again reminded me of so many moments where we just cost ourselves. Norman in particular probably came up with 3 plays that cost us - a dud pass to Hodges in the first half, a nothing chip straight to Graham & a kick into the in-goal when we had the numbers out-wide. I don't think it's fair to single him out of course, Thaiday, Parker, McCullough, McGuire & Hodges all came up with dud mistakes while we were on the attack but Norman really needs to learn from it. Otherwise, I was satisfied with Norman's game. He did a great job cleaning up a terrible Hunt pass from dummy half to give us the momentum for that miraculous Beale try (definitely not a forward pass), a great 70m kick that really got us out of trouble and of course that amazing switch play that was dare I say, Lockyer like.

In a lot of ways I think Corey Parker's performance summed up the team's performance. You look at him and generally he had a pretty strong game - a lot of runs really got us rolling and he came close to busting through. But some silly mistakes in both attack and defence made for a poor game.

A couple of interesting points...

- Thaiday just can't win when it comes to penalty goals. Last week he chose to back his team's momentum and was criticised. This week he made a common sense decision and he's been criticised. I certainly think we should have tap and gone on both occasions.

- I wonder if McGuire was hooked for that dud pass to Wallace? All he had to do was back himself and I reckon we were in the points that set.

- Macca's performance held up better than Hunt's IMO. Always thought his defence was superior but he really got us rolling through early and he was extremely unlucky not to have a Try Assist next to his name when Hannant looked to have crashed over. Him and Parker seemed to get tangled up a lot and they need to work on their combination. Hunt made a couple of good darts against a tired defensive line but he made a couple of bad options, especially in that Beale try set. I thought we were very fortunate to score there, it took something incredible from Reed to get us over as they had the numbers. So I'd still persist with Macca starting.

- Decided to check Yow Yeh's errors and I was right. Only made 2 all game and they weren't costly. In fact, the first IMO was the wrong call. JT kicked the ball out and if that isn't outlawed then it should be. It's just as dangerous as leading with the boot to prevent a try. The other came right when the game was over and he was trying to field Parker's kick off, not much he could have done.

- Petero played well on his return I thought. I'm going to go back to my original opinion and have him start over McGuire. His experience against the Knights in what should be a big game would be a huge bonus.

Heart-breaking loss, embarrassing that Bowen was able to score that easily but as fans these are the losses that we just have to wear and I hope it wakes the team up a bit. Definitely not the end of the world though, Cows would have beaten most tonight and we have a lot of room for improvement.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Just watched this one -tough game! Cowboys played well and so did we mostly but agree we were soft up the middle. Top teams are gonna carve us up giving away that much easy yardage. Thought Hannant played really well and actually ran it up hard all the time. Yow Yeh, T'eo, Hodges, Hoffman, Gillet, Wallace all were strong. On the minus side we made uncharacteristic errors and some common ones... that fumble from Thaiday on their line trying to get up quick to play the ball really cost us especially at that time of the match. He always trys to milk a penalty from these situations. Unfortunately it usually goes the other way. I'm sure it's an opposition tactic just waiting for him to lose his patience? Beale was another worry. Thought Petro was fairly quiet and maybe too safe with no offloads and Reed was good but wasn't really a stand out except for that offload for Beales try.
Cowboys were pumped for the game from the word go and unfortunately all the way to the death! Bowens a freak!!! Runs hot and cold but freakin' hot when he really needs to be. Thurston/Bowen brothers at arms and their forward pack were switched on for most of the 80 minutes.
Tight tough game but good experience for us. We just need a better completion rate for our sets and fix up the defence up the middle. Thought we looked good and was interested to see how we coped with tougher opposition. Hopefully we just get stronger (and tighter) and get our own back against the Knights! :)

AceAv

Juniors
Yeah you speak a lot of sense league addict.

I was really into this game and enjoyed every minute. I was always certain would be a close game as soon as we levelled it 6-6. Thurston & Bowen in the end just a little better then Hoffy & Norman.

We'll take a lot from that game and I don't want to dwell on the loss as this is a year where we need to be patient for our halves combo to really synergize with the amazing talent. Not expecting a premiership -that ship sailed last year ;)

3. Hannant
2. Wallace
1. Parker -He cost us 12 points but made up for it in tackle/HU. He'll learn to watch those little side stepping c**nts!

I sitll reckon norman is the way. As soon as he feels more comfortable im sure he'll start moving the ball more. His running looks dangerous everytime and once he starts using it selectively it will be a real asset. I think this will be Gagai's year. Beale is playing average and Kahu did his knee, time for him to step up.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Im starting to really like Norman, all though he didn't always make the right decision he looks like a dangerous runner, and if he can add a good passing and some more short kicks then he could be a really dangerous player. He looked dangerous on numerous occasions when he took the ball to the line and made a late step, with more games he will become a very dangerous player. Be patient with him.

for what its worth my points go to

3 Hoffman (got unlucky with the Bowen strip and the post apart from that i thought he was the broncos best, virtually faultless under the high ball and some of his kick returns and support play was very good)
2 Hodges (got well involved is probably the most dangerous player in the team at the moment, seems to be back to his best or at least getting there)
1 Macca (thought he played well for the most part, loved his little switch play, will only improve with time and more experience)

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Beale is shit. Norman is shit.
Not much more to say really.
Been saying this for the past 3 years.
Oh.. and Gagai is the man!

You have no clue mate, Beale was one of the best players last year. He has had two average games so far this year and he is being played out of position on the wing rather than in the centres or at fullback.

Norman given time will mature into a very good 5/8.

What do you mean you've been saying it for the past 3 years? Beale only really came through last year and Norman has been playing under 20's. don't see how you can judge a young player that you probably hardly see play.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Piss off mate. I have been watching rugby league since the 2006 grand final.
I know talent where I see it, but I'm sorry to burst your hymen, Norman is bloody average.

Long time supporter then i see mate. :sarcasm:

If you knew talent you would know that Norman has plenty of it. Sorry to burst your hymen but if you expected Norman to immediately step up and replace Lockyer and play in the exact same way then you are clearly delusional. Norman will never be as good as Lockyer, no one will be but he will still be an extremely good player.

Mr Fourex

Bench
In a lot of ways I think Corey Parker's performance summed up the team's performance. You look at him and generally he had a pretty strong game - a lot of runs really got us rolling and he came close to busting through. But some silly mistakes in both attack and defence made for a poor game.

I wonder if McGuire was hooked for that dud pass to Wallace? All he had to do was back himself and I reckon we were in the points that set.

Fair enough comments Pete on both counts........although it would be extremely harsh on McGuire if Griffin indeed did pull him off because Peter Wallace can't catch.

Parker could have easily been Brisbane's best excepting for his costly errors. All/most of them lead to points going against us.

Stupid penalties.......costly errors and some very poor defensive reads cost us the match. These things are what last year we prided ourselves of not being regular in committing.

In the forwards.... I thought McGuire's first half was fantastic. Easily could have taken the 3 points if Grif gave him more game time in the 2nd half. Thought the rest (excepting Parker) were ordinary. Glenn and Teo were solid without being noticeable. Thaiday......isn't cutting it at the moment for mine. Petro was quiet. Hannant falls into the ordinary ranks......Gillett, hardly knew he was there.

Jharal Yow Yeh was the best on ground for mine. Reliable in defense and threatening with the ball. I thought the 1st half penalty against him for attacking the man and not the ball in the high contest was a joke.

Hodges again this week looks to be firing on all cylinders (at last) .......great game.

Hoffman is a safe as they come in the full back stakes. I would like to see him start to follow on the inside the likes of Corey Norman.....McGuire....Hodges. Needs to get more involved in the attack apart from the standard fullback chimes into the back line movement.

Those keen to bag Corey Norman should try to be a little patient. I wasn't his greatest fan either but from what I have seen in these 1st two games, the kid has loads of talent. Yes......his chip kick brain snaps probably did cost us points. His running game and his ability to read the play is what I am liking about him so far. He seems defensively solid as well.

Give him time to find his way out there........

3. Yow Yeah
2. Hodges
1. McGuire

Mr Fourex

Bench
Piss off mate. I have been watching rugby league since the 2006 grand final.

I know talent where I see it, but I'm sorry to burst your hymen, Norman is bloody average.

:lol:.........what a tool like thing to say.

Give yourself 10 punches in the face.

fight_club.gif

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
I told my friends not to tell me the result, and watched a delayed version of the game. So disappointing. I thought we had it wrapped up at the end there, and was going to say something along the lines of "we were lucky to get away with that one". Oh well...

3. Hodges
2. Yow Yeh
1. Hannant

Latest posts