What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Souths

Smurf

Juniors
Press conference Thursday by Mary

Excuses

5 Day turnaround
No Fritz
No Jack
No K Simms
Two of their tries were from kicks
If the field was 98 meters long we would of scored
Halves need time to gel
No reason to panic
Same side will be picked for round 3

Smurf

Juniors
Press conference Thursday by Mary

Excuses

5 Day turnaround
No Fritz
No Jack
No K Simms
Two of their tries were from kicks
If the field was 98 meters long we would of scored
Halves need time to gel
No reason to panic
Same side will be picked for round 3

But I still want us to win !!!!!!!

possm

Coach
IMO it can only be Sims, Graham or Lawrie but I too prefer Sims to go to 13.
If it is Sims then Leilua should start and play until fatigue sets in then sub him out.
If it is Graham or Lawrie to 13 then Leilua should be 1st sub and not Latimore.

It will be Lawrie at 13. Hopefully Robson at 14 off the bench rotating with McInnes. When Robson comes on, McInnes to lock.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I reckon this game has a similar smell of the Broncos final last year.
We are at long odds in everyone's eyes to win it.
Could the Dragons spring another surprise performance

Could be possible if one of the 'chosen three' decides to stand up and be a real play maker.
These guys need to talk before a game and have some back up game plans scenarios.
Sadly lacking over the past couple of weeks.

possm

Coach
Could be possible if one of the 'chosen three' decides to stand up and be a real play maker.
These guys need to talk before a game and have some back up game plans scenarios.
Sadly lacking over the past couple of weeks.

What if all the players are working to instructions? You've seen what will happen to players disobeying Mary.

I hope the round two team is:
1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Host
13. Lawrie

14. Robson
15. Timm
16. Graham
17 Leilua

Just forget about rearranging the spine with 10 to go. If Widdop does not perform this week and Dufty has a good hitout in ISP, then address that issue in round 3.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
r02_preview_1_dragons-rabbitohs.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Rabbitohs: Round 2 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 19 Mar 2019, 09:01 AM

Two months ago the St George Illawarra pack was something to be feared.

Now, heading into the round two match at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, they need to remind everyone they still have what it takes.

Jack de Belin and Tyson Frizell will both be missing - the latter for at least a month after rupturing a testicle in the loss to the Cowboys.

That's two members of NSW's series-winning State of Origin team missing. When you add the fact Korbin Sims is still suspended, the depth of the side is being tested very early in the season.

As for South Sydney, round one could not have gone much better. Life under Wayne Bennett started with a win and all their big guns fired.

They've got a great chance here to jump out to a 2-0 start to the year. If they can do that, the Rabbitohs hype machine is sure to rise another gear or two.

Match: Dragons v Rabbitohs

Round 2 - Thursday 21st March

7:50pm

Home Team

Dragons

13th Position

Away Team

Rabbitohs

6th Position

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Key match-up
Gareth Widdop v Alex Johnston. The Dragons didn't look great in week one. Did the move of Widdop to the No.1 jersey affect their attack that much or did they just have an off night as a team? If the Hunt-Norman-Widdop combination can take a step forward it will help the Dragons no end. As for Johnston, he had a great night against the Roosters. If that performance becomes common-place in 2019, South Sydney's attack will all the more dangerous.

For the Dragons to win
After Jason Taumalolo (286m), Josh McGuire (154m) and Jordan McLean (141m) combined for 581m running metres last weekend the requirement is simple - the Dragons need to improve when it comes to winning the battle at the advantage line. While rival forwards are racking up those types of numbers, winning will prove a difficult task.

For the Rabbitohs to win
More of the same. It's not overly scientific, but that'll be the mantra from Wayne Bennett heading into this match. South Sydney were composed, clinical and confident against the premiers. The manner in which they wore down the Roosters would have Rabbitohs fans feeling very good about themselves.

Brett Kimmorley says ...
There is no Jason Taumalolo for the Dragons to worry about this week, but can they handle South Sydney’s forward pack? If they can do that the Hunt-Norman-Widdop combination can continue to develop. As for Souths, I’m looking forward to Adam Reynolds repeating the skills he showed last week. Souths were very good against the Roosters. Dragons by 2

Dragons Stat Attack
Mikaele Ravalawa's NRL debut had a bit of everything. He'll want to repeat the 151 running metres and 10 tackle breaks. He won't want to replicate the four handling errors he was guilty of against the Cowboys.

Rabbitohs Stat Attack
Adam Reynolds' kicking game last week was brilliant. He finished the night with 438 kicking metres, three forced drop-outs and had two kicks which hit the posts and resulted in tries. That's going to be a tough standard to maintain for the remainder of 2019.

Head-to-head
Played 31, St George Illawarra 17, South Sydney 14

At Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
Played 4, St George Illawarra 3, South Sydney 1

And another thing ...
After South Sydney's win over the Roosters last weekend, rival coaches Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett both said the freedom the South Sydney attack now played under was noticable. Was it this simple, or were those words just pot-shots at now-Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold? If the unshackled Rabbitohs keep playing like they did last week, late-September football is on the cards.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/19/dragons-v-rabbitohs-round-2-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
TripADeal NRL team announcement: Round 2 v South Sydney Rabbitohs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 19 Mar 2019, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 2 clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah on March 21.

Indigenous All Stars representative Josh Kerr (St George Illawarra player #220) will make his NRL debut from the interchange after Tyson Frizell lacerated a teste in the Dragons' last start loss to the Cowboys.

Blake Lawrie will start the game at lock, with Mitch Allgood named as the new face in the Dragons' reserves.

Being the Dragons' first home game for season 2019, and the first of five fantastic games scheduled for Kogarah, be sure to reserve your ticket now!

NRL squad for Round 2 v South Sydney Rabbitohs

1. Gareth Widdop – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Tosich Group
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by SMAI
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11.Jacob Host – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System15. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)16. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
19. Reece Robson
20. Mitch Allgood
21. Jonus Pearson

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...nnouncement-round-2-v-south-sydney-rabbitohs/

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I must say the team looks reasonable to me GO THE BIG RED VVVVVVVVVV just hope the bench gets used. ...... ...the only change I'd like to see is Lomax for Aitkin. Don't forget the game against South's in the semis. No widdop and we were light in the forwards then also.. ...

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Good test of our depth and nice to see Kerr get a shot, he's a try scoring machine.
Our only hope Thursday night is to run their forwards around and tire them out and control things with a really good kicking game. Save the low percentage attacking kicks for later and just keep them down their own end. A low penalty count won't help our boys after a big effort last week and a short turnaround but we have to tighten up the middle and stop Cook's dummy dashes.

Saints by 8 due to Wids stepping in to take control.

Como Connection

First Grade
Good test of our depth and nice to see Kerr get a shot, he's a try scoring machine.
Our only hope Thursday night is to run their forwards around and tire them out and control things with a really good kicking game. Save the low percentage attacking kicks for later and just keep them down their own end. A low penalty count won't help our boys after a big effort last week and a short turnaround but we have to tighten up the middle and stop Cook's dummy dashes.

Saints by 8 due to Wids stepping in to take control.
Looking for offloads with someone backing up when the power play is on each four plays all game would be a good idea.
Even better idea, why not give the halfs and backline some early ball and play football.
CC

SnowDragon

Juniors
I’m one eyed maybe... but I predict a win!

The young guys in the pack will want to prove themselves. k sims back next week means that Kerr needs to force his way into the round3 team. Lawrie needs to perform to keep the 13.Lats knows that if others outperform him he may be dropped.Hosty knows the spot can be his if he performs now etc.

If we can start strong, and contain cook, then we can tear up a tiring rabbits.

hazzbeen

Bench
I’m one eyed maybe... but I predict a win!

The young guys in the pack will want to prove themselves. k sims back next week means that Kerr needs to force his way into the round3 team. Lawrie needs to perform to keep the 13.Lats knows that if others outperform him he may be dropped.Hosty knows the spot can be his if he performs now etc.

If we can start strong, and contain cook, then we can tear up a tiring rabbits.
Mate I hope you are right , but for the life of me can't see it happen . We will stay with them for about 20 maybe 30 min then the flood gates will open .....

kit66

Bench
Looking for offloads with someone backing up when the power play is on each four plays all game would be a good idea. That's where we'll miss Dufty
Even better idea, why not give the halfs and backline some early ball and play football. I scream for this every week, except it's the halves job to give the early ball to the centres.
CC