What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 | Cronulla 0-18 Newcastle @ Toyota | Saturday 23rd July | Kick-off 7.30pm

Sharks vs Knights (R20)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Tim

First Grade
Pretty much.

We are a good chance here, but the Sharks have beaten better teams than ours.

Is Gal likely to play? Either way it's a positive, no Gallen or a weakened Gallen.

Careful....

Remember the sooking last time we mentioned some positive news for us with an opposition player out.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
And remember how well we went last time with an opposition key player out ...

Serc

First Grade
While conceding his side has been savagely affected by injuries, Stone is not looking for excuses and says the Knights continue to control their own destiny as far as the play-offs are concerned. "We are close enough if good enough,"he said.
"Losing Nev and Dan for the Sharks is disappointing but you just have to roll with the punches and push on."
Stone has called utility Marvin Karawana and Tetevano into the squad as cover and indicated the Kiwi rookie will be in the 17.
"I think there is a fair chance, yes," he said.
Tetevano, 20, has been with the club since 2008 after being spotted playing in a school game while in Newcastle with his Kiwi high school.
" Zane is physically a ready-made NRL player. He's 105 kgs and 187 cms," Stone said.
"He is a big strapping Kiwi kid who has been in the system for three or four years and whacks in defence.
Stone said the outcome of the clash has plenty riding on it for both sides.
"Regardless of the conditions, you are going to find two pretty desperate footy sides out there I'd suggest," he said.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ds-to-knightmare/story-e6frexnr-1226100112230

billy2

Juniors
David Fairleigh has huge wraps on Tets.
I've been wondering why he is so keen on him, and it just clicked that Tets was a member of the Cook Islands side Fairleigh coached in the Pacific Cup, and he used Tets for 80 minutes in all three games.
Explains why Fairleigh was watching him so closely in Centurions game against Norths (I thought he was scouting for players).

Serc

First Grade
Gidley sure he’ll be tackling Gallen
BY ROBERT DILLON
23 Jul, 2011 04:00 AM

KNIGHTS skipper Kurt Gidley has no doubt Paul Gallen will play in tonight’s crucial clash at Toyota Stadium – but Cronulla officials are not so confident, deferring a decision on their inspirational leader until this morning.
Gallen was replaced in the second half of Cronulla’s loss to St George Illawarra on Monday with a calf strain, and while he is understood to be keen to play tonight, there is concern that he could exacerbate the injury.
‘‘There’s been no decision,’’ a Cronulla spokesperson said yesterday.
‘‘To be honest, it’s probably unlikely that he’ll play but the coaching staff wanted to give him every opportunity. They’ll see how he pulls up in the morning and decide then.’’
Gidley, however, said he was preparing to shake hands with his long-time NSW Origin teammate when the two captains meet for the pre-match coin toss.
‘‘I’ve seen Gal play with plenty of injuries before, so I’d be expecting him to play this weekend,’’ Gidley said.

Newcastle coach Rick Stone indicated yesterday he had made a conscious decision not to dwell on whether Gallen was in or out, after his team were upset by a North Queensland side minus Johnathan Thurston 12 days ago.
‘‘I haven’t really bought too much into the Paul Gallen thing, to be honest,’’ Stone said.
‘‘All I’ve got to do is prepare our team as best we can.
‘‘We probably didn’t handle things too well when the Thurston thing came through, so I’d prefer to downplay that, if anything.’’

The Knights have injury worries of their own after experienced forwards Dan Tolar (Achilles) and Neville Costigan (knee) were ruled out yesterday.
Stone said Zane Tetevano, who is yet to make his NRL debut, and reliable Marvin Karawana had been included in a squad of 18 that will be finalised an hour before kick-off.
Karawana has played in 31 NRL games for the Knights but only four this season.
Stone said the 24-year-old could be an asset for Newcastle in what shapes as a battle around the rucks if recent weather conditions continue.
‘‘Marvin’s been playing well in the NSW Cup and I think the conditions might suit him,’’ Stone said.
‘‘He’s got a bit of footwork, he can cover a bit of edge for us, and lock, so he’s got a bit of versatility and adds another dimension to our bench, which is important.’’

Having described the match as a make-or-break affair for both teams, Gidley said the Knights would be relying on a basic game plan.
‘‘We’ve trained for wet-weather footy, holding the ball and completing our sets, so we feel really good,’’ Gidley said.
Gidley said his teammates ‘‘need to demand better of ourselves’’ after consecutive losses to the Cowboys and Manly, which have caused the Knights to slide from sixth to ninth.
‘‘Previous to that, the month before was pretty good and we were probably winning our games through hard work and a pretty good arm wrestle,’’ he said.
Stone was confident his troops ‘‘are ready for anything’’ the elements can throw at them.
‘‘We’ve just tinkered with a few things in our attack in readiness for some ordinary weather,’’ he said.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ley-sure-hell-be-tackling-gallen/2235372.aspx

billy2

Juniors
Karawana is probably in career best form after being fit to play for a few months now - not something that has happened for a long, long time.
Not sure what his position is - definately not a hooker - goes OK at lock and second row - fills a spot at 5/8.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Gallen out for the Sharks. Tolar and Costigan confirmed scratchings for us. Karawana and Tetevano into the squad.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Yes yes yes I know, but I reckon they will turn up this week whether they are playing an injury decimated or 5 wins on the trot version of the Sharks! Normally I'd tip against us after the past 2 weeks (though based more on the Cowboys game) but I reckon we're gonna get up tonight :D

As for Gallen, I benched him in my SC team and brought Maurice Blair in as my last reserve...boom 92 points last night!!! hahaha so lucky

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Yes yes yes I know, but I reckon they will turn up this week whether they are playing an injury decimated or 5 wins on the trot version of the Sharks! Normally I'd tip against us after the past 2 weeks (though based more on the Cowboys game) but I reckon we're gonna get up tonight :D

As for Gallen, I benched him in my SC team and brought Maurice Blair in as my last reserve...boom 92 points last night!!! hahaha so lucky
Likewise. I've decided to give the boys one last chance. If they lose tonight, I'm never tipping them again for the rest of the year ...

RHCP

Bench
Tets making the side is great. I'm very excited about seeing him play.

If we lose every other game this year at least we've given ourselves a solid foundation next year as far as promoting players and depth players coming into the side for 2012, ala the Broncos 10/11.

How is the weather in Cronulla?

Serc

First Grade
How is the weather in Cronulla?

Improving...better than in Newcastle so far this arvo anyway. Hasn't rained for most of the arvo, with just 2-3 brief and light showers. Should be the same (or even better) this evening.

How well the ground has handled the 284mm that has fallen in Cronulla the past 4 days will determine the style of football we see tonight, the actual weather itself should be pretty decent.

IanG

Coach
Another low scoreing game perhaps?

Will be down at the club to watch it. With Gallen out it'll help the Knights cause.

IanG

Coach
Another low scoreing game perhaps?

Will be down at the club to watch it. With Gallen out it'll help the Knights cause.

RHCP

Bench
Improving...better than in Newcastle so far this arvo anyway. Hasn't rained for most of the arvo, with just 2-3 brief and light showers. Should be the same (or even better) this evening.

How well the ground has handled the 284mm that has fallen in Cronulla the past 4 days will determine the style of football we see tonight, the actual weather itself should be pretty decent.

Always come through for the weather report Serc. Are you a meteorologist or what?

If the ground's very heavy I fear our plodder's ploddering will be even worse up against the big Sharks pack.

Serc

First Grade
Well I put 'meteorologist' as my main occupation on my tax return this year for the first time so I think I can say that officially now :)

If our plodders plod away like they did last week vs Manly, we should match the Sharks pack pretty well! Don't forget that Snowden is not 100%, and no Gallen will take a lot of metres out of their total metres gained this week.