What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs Lewis & Friends

Karnivayne

Juniors
Disappointed with Lewis Brown, first the Gagan dive into the corner, just stood there and watched as Gagan began to dive and he had the opportunity to try and push him into touch then when the ball was on the ground in the first couple of minutes Brown and Cartwright stood there whilst Graham dived on it.

I would rather have Docker in the team although his performances are hit and miss he still puts in 100% all the time that compared to Brown who only puts in if the team is on a roll, there was a piece the other day that noted Brown wanted to play the same role as Peachey, absolutely no chance of that happening.

Puntastic

Juniors
Part of having Docker or Plum put a bloke on his arse is that it rallies the troops. Took until the final 10 for that to really happen.

Not entirely sure what side exactly I'd like to see this week. Not sure what side Ivan will pick. I think safety is probably the way to go, minimise liabilities.

I'd take Mansour and Simmons back in a heartbeat, but given Mansour is looking at another week I'm not sure who the bigger risk is out of Kevin and DWZ. I'd probably keep Idris and Manu in position a little longer. There's no safe fill in at center and moving a backrower there probably doesn't make much difference but does take time for a little re-adjusting.

The focus probably needs to be back on defence and that points will naturally follow. We weakened our resolve after a solid opening 10 minutes defence. Back to basics, no big changes. If we weren't up against the dogs maybe.

Last edited:

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I haven't seen DWZ do anything special yet in first grade. He seems small, not particularly powerful or skillful, and hasn't had a chance one way or another to show that he has speed. What am I missing?

Also, of all our young players, why has Yeo been elevated so quickly? He is not particularly skillful or hard-running or athletic. He's big and he can tackle, but why does he find himself in the centres so often? And I don't get why people have been so high on Idris this season - he's so bloody lazy and slow, and barely shows any aggression. Him getting cut down by bloody Robson on the last tackled a couple of meters from the line, and then the Sharks romping up field to score the winning try immediately afterwards was a neat microcosm of the game.

If Docker and Plum are the answer to our forward pack, we have to start asking some different questions. We had ZERO go forward yesterday, and we want Docker back in? Bloody hell.

Naiqama dropped a couple of balls, scored a try, held someone up to save a try, got beaten in the air a couple of times, made stronger runs than DWZ. A total mixed bag, so I can see why people want to go back to the faintly dull safety of Simmons.

This squad still has some glaring weaknesses. I was optimistic about next season, but I don't know....I don't think we can fix it that quickly.

maple_69

Bench
Disappointed with Lewis Brown, first the Gagan dive into the corner, just stood there and watched as Gagan began to dive and he had the opportunity to try and push him into touch then when the ball was on the ground in the first couple of minutes Brown and Cartwright stood there whilst Graham dived on it.

I would rather have Docker in the team although his performances are hit and miss he still puts in 100% all the time that compared to Brown who only puts in if the team is on a roll, there was a piece the other day that noted Brown wanted to play the same role as Peachey, absolutely no chance of that happening.

Brown wasn't even on the field when this happened. Outside of the one other incident he had a real crack. I was critical of him early in the season but he's been solid since coming back from injury.

maple_69

Bench
Honestly I think when it comes to addressing the problems that we have up front_ we may need some drastic calls to have a shot in September. Our go forward has been poor all year, papered over by Mansour and at times Idris. In the finals that isn't going to cut it. Your pack needs to be able to hold their own. Maybe Kite and Plum aren't scrapyard material yet but Christ they need to turn it up. They're both getting on and I think 3/4 weeks break could be good body/motivation wise for both. If their replacements step IP great, if not hopefully we get a couple re-energised seasoned campaigners back.

Agree on Yep. Solid depth but not sure what he's really adding in first grade. Cartwright showing a world of potential this last few weeks but he should be on the bench at this stage. I'd have

Moylan, Mansour/DWZ, Whare, Idris, Simmons/DWZ, Soward, Wallace, Anderson, Segeyaro, Mckendry, Brown, BMM, Taylor, Manu, Latimore, Yeo, Cartwright

pantherz9103

First Grade
The Sharks doing the double on us is a little bit like the Tigers of last year beating us twice but even worse, considering we're in contention for the top 4.

TheFrog

Coach
While we most certainly have some go forward issues, it would be foolish to ignore what positives came from the game. We defended really well for extended periods, and despite being well outmuscled in the forwards, were only a jumper pull away from pulling the game out of the fire.

I wouldn't give up on Jamal in the second row. Maybe Cleary could switch him with Brown from time to time during the game to mix it up and acclimatise him to the position. Maybe a bit of sprint training wouldn't go astray either, it takes him too long to reach whatever speed he has.

We've got three prop forwards with quite illustrious career records, not counting Grant who appears to be a write off for us. We have to have a good look at why Kite, Plum and McKendry are not producing what they are capable of.

Plum is a plodder and always has been, McKendry is lazy and I've always hated Kite with a passion whenever he somehow got rep jumpers but now he's not even 1st grade standard.

Scrap the lot and start again

Panther Pete

Juniors
We've got three prop forwards with quite illustrious career records, not counting Grant who appears to be a write off for us. We have to have a good look at why Kite, Plum and McKendry are not producing what they are capable of.

Plum has never really offered much in attack but he used to make up for that with bone rattling tackles but I can't even recall seeing too many of those lately.

I have always thought Idris is too slow for the backline, how many other centres in the nrl have only scored one try this year?

TheFrog

Coach
Plum is a plodder and always has been, McKendry is lazy and I've always hated Kite with a passion whenever he somehow got rep jumpers but now he's not even 1st grade standard.

Scrap the lot and start again

Eventually that is going to have to happen, however I'm thinking more short term, as in having the best possible finish to this season.

Plum wasn't a plodder last year. He was just about the most feared tackler in the game.

Maybe these blokes are carrying injuries?

Last edited:

Panther_Brendo

Juniors
Sam got a chance last tear and was playing well before he got injured. I'd like him to get a chance; has been playing well. Billy, you make some good points at times, but you seem so negative all the time. Why?

maple_69

Bench
Plum was not only hitting hard in defence last year but he was also making 130m a game. Our no frills pack was winning most contests last year. Unfortunately we didn't have the backs or halves to take advantage. Now we do and they've produced SFA. I can deal with Plum staying as he has been solid as a bench prop in parts this year and Mckendry seemed to have a dig against the Sharks but Kite hasn't produced anything all year. Anderson has consistently been our best prop in NSW Cup and was picked for residnets. He went well in first grade last year, I don't see why he shouldn't get a go when we need a change. Even BMM for something different. We need some enthusiasm and a guy getting his crack at first grade could be what the whole pack needs to wake up.